Airbrush question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airbrush question.

ln painting a 1/72 aircraft is it better to mask or freehand the cammo? Which do you prefer?

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
    ln painting a 1/72 aircraft is it better to mask or freehand the cammo? Which do you prefer?
    Never done it (damn1/72nd modellers... ) but I'd free hand it. I'd do the pattern and then outline it in the base color to reduce the splatter/overspray effect.
    If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Come on, it so entirely depends on the specific camo.

Hard edge camo can't be airbrushed freehand at all, 1/72 just means the plane is smaller that's all. It just means a different approach to masking.

For hard edge masking, have you ever tried the brush on type plastic mask? I have some from Gunze Sanyo called Mr Masking-Sol. You apply it like you were painting it on. It dries into a plastic film that is eventually peeled off. The idea is you paint, then peel the mask off for a sharp edge camo.

Great for canopies too. Has no harmful effect.

Now for soft edge camo you merely need to airbrush slower closer and with a smaller swath from the airbrush. Nice thing about soft edge patterns if is you make an error let it dry then redo the opposing shade a bit onto the other shade. Keep in mind you have to use a low paint volume setting so your build up is under control.
      Life is change. Built models for decades.
      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Maud'dib View Post
        For hard edge masking, have you ever tried the brush on type plastic mask? I have some from Gunze Sanyo called Mr Masking-Sol. You apply it like you were painting it on. It dries into a plastic film that is eventually peeled off. The idea is you paint, then peel the mask off for a sharp edge camo.
        Frisket also works like that. You can buy it at most art stores.

Comment

Originally posted by freightshaker View Post
          Never done it (damn1/72nd modellers... ) but I'd free hand it. I'd do the pattern and then outline it in the base color to reduce the splatter/overspray effect.
          Now that has always baffled me. If you respray the base coat to tidy the lines don't you get overspray from that?

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
            Now that has always baffled me. If you respray the base coat to tidy the lines don't you get overspray from that?
            Very low airpressure and highly thinned paint.

Comment

I would mask wherever I could using a different kind of mask depending on what edge I needed. You can make gallons of liquid mask at home. 50/50 dish washing liquid and white glue. Washes off with water. Humbrol Maskol is also good (I use it). Safe on canopies too. Shrinks after a week or so.
              The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
              Sideshow Bob.

Comment

You can make gallons of liquid mask at home. 50/50 dish washing liquid and white glue. Washes off with water. Humbrol Maskol is also good (I use it)

Here's an idea I never heard of, but will!! Thanks for passing it along!!!

ham
                Semper Fi
                Doug

Comment

Test it first huh?
                  The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
                  Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Test it first huh?

You bet!!
                    Semper Fi
                    Doug

Comment

Originally posted by hamy3 View Post
                      Test it first huh?

You bet!!
                      Sorry to state the bleeding obvious but this is one I only heard...I never tried it myself.
                      Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Hey, I'm bold enough to try anything once. Twice if it works!!
                        Semper Fi
                        Doug

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X