Photo-Etch for Dummies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo-Etch for Dummies

I'm fairly sure I may have broached this subject before but I think a rehash will help both myself and maybe some others too so here goes;
    I have a pretty big project I'm going to start in the next six months. I've been collecting detail sets, decals and info for two years now and I think I'm ready to start soon. I'm about to start planning out my P-38 Lightning and I hope to enter it in our annual comp. The thing is that I have to do major surgery in cutting open access hatches and engine cowls for this one and I've never done this kind of thing seriously before. My question is this. How does one bend curves into those beautiful copper engine cowls and gun bay doors? Any other tips or advice will be greatly appreciated too.
    The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
    Sideshow Bob.

I would find a curved dowel or piece of wood that you can wrap the PE around. Heat it just a bit and it should keep the correct shape. Of course, heat too much and you'll take the temper out of the metal.
    If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

At last...thanks Freight.
      Would you use a round dowell? Imagine the cross section shape of a P-38 nose section...I think that some people use the parts they cut out to shape the metal but I'm unsure. This is one of those tricky situations where you don't really get a second chance if you mess it up the first time. Verlinden is expensive and takes a long time to get here.
      The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
      Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Not a PE fan, what so ever, why didn't you just go with scrap plastic?
        I am a simple man. I am by no means smarter than the average man. I am average...yet genius.

Comment

Originally posted by comm. waffle View Post
          Not a PE fan, what so ever, why didn't you just go with scrap plastic?
          Because the plastic is too thick. You can't cut a door open without losing plastic too...the plastic door will look too small for the hole it's supposed to fill.
          Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Hehehe, see thats why your better at aircratf than Ich.
            I am a simple man. I am by no means smarter than the average man. I am average...yet genius.

Comment

Maybe...and a decade or so more of practice too might contribute . Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go and change my beige cardigan and complain about 'the kids these days'.
              Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Geek44 View Post
                Would you use a round dowell? Imagine the cross section shape of a P-38 nose section...I think that some people use the parts they cut out to shape the metal but I'm unsure.
                That does make it difficult since the nose isn't uniform. It would be difficult to use the original piece without deforming it so maybe you could make a mold using the original. Seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through. A French Curve might be able to help you also.

Now I know why I don't like PE .

Comment

Yah...it's a challenge. I'd hate to say 'I don't like PE'...rather I'm trying to work on my weak areas. I actually love PE as I think it adds a business that I like. As I said though, I've never tried anything of this magnitude and feel I should before I die. I think I can make a reasonable job of it but doing things a sensible way the first time might help.
                  The Verlinden set I have suggests a Hasegawa kit. I have an Academy kit that I thought I'd use but I think I'll practice with the Academy one and buy a Hasegawa kit for the surgery. You never know...half a millimetre here, a quarter there, might make it harder than it needs to be.
                  Sideshow Bob.

Comment

I'm looking forward to the PE in my 3 in 1 Pzkfw IV E kit . I don't mind some of it but it's almost become more important than the kit itself. It already costs more...

Comment

Speaking from experience, that is one beautiful kit and I think you're going to really enjoy it. Mine is still half done in its box but I'll get back to it soon enough. There's plenty of PE but no curves. Also keep an eye open for the Guderian figure and the vinyl cactus that are included.
                      Sideshow Bob.

Comment

I have just started on my Panver IV F1 kit using the PE Duncan gave me. Very fiddely but looks good. This will also be the first model I have spray painted so just taking my time over it.

I remember I was given a 1/48 Spitfire kit once that was PE and cast aluminium. I have lost it unfortunaley but the detail was amazing. Wonder if they still do it?
                        Wolster

Comment

Man, I can't even imagine PE for 1/72. You'd need to work under a microscope. Wingnuts in 1/35 are tiny enough for me. Amazingly I haven't lost a single part (yet).
                          Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Well, for awhile i did alot of that kind of stuff, i would first take a dremel tool
                            to the door i was going to have open, grind it down til it was almost see thru
                            then just cut it out with an x-acto blade, thats how i did this on.

Life is what happens to you when your busy making other plans! Lennon - www.lufttiger.com

Comment

Cutting the doors out won't be an issue for me...how did you bend the cowls?? Circular stuff shouldn't be too hard but a complex curve, like the nacelle on a P-38 may pose a challenge.
                              Nice FW BTW.
                              Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
                                Prawn heads
                                by Karri
                                How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
                                Today, 11:40
                              • Jose50
                                Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
                                by Jose50
                                Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
                                Today, 08:41
                              • Von Richter
                                Sagittarius Rising...
                                by Von Richter
                                Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
                                Today, 01:19
                              Working...
                              X