Protecting Paper Militaria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protecting Paper Militaria

Do any of you collect paper documents/literature from WW2? I'm curious if you protect them with anything special, like light-retardant glass (if there is such a thing)?

I have a very good condition copy of "Der FrontSoldat" magazine from 1935. The pages are yellowed by only about 30% & I'd like to prevent further damage. I have it matted & framed under regular plexi-glass right now, along with some German ribbons & metal badges. I'm wondering if I should seperate the magazine from the other items & get a better glass?

Thanks.
    Kampfgruppe - A war gaming clan since 1998

You could get UV protected glass put in the frame.

I wonder if a comic book bag would work. They are low acid and UV protected.

Comment

I've got some Civil War Documents, but nothing WW2 (save a postcard with a portrait of 'Der Fuhrer' on it) and I keep mine out of the light alltogether. Moisture control is an issue too.....I keep silica crytal packs close to mine.
      I do believe that a high quality comic book sleeve would work, but nevertheless, I'd keep it in as dry and as dark a place as possible.
      http://www.ebay.com/usr/froglevelzcool

“The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." - George S. Patton

Comment

However you store it, make sure the room is above ground, and is on something well above ground level such as a decent height bookshelf.

I have a friend that lost an immense comic collection worth a small fortune. He lived in a basement apartment. It got flooded, and he lost everything.

And no, the land is not flood prone, basements are just a bad place for paper.

A good location is a second story location with no plumbing feature above it. Unless you live in a tornado prone region that is.
        Life is change. Built models for decades.
        Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
        I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

I like the silica pack idea. I would like to keep it under glass, so I'll look into the UV stuff.

Thanks.
          Kampfgruppe - A war gaming clan since 1998

Comment

Moisture, light, and the acid paper they are printed on, are document killers along with the humidity loving insects that will chew them up to dust. Keep as dry as possible and protect from UV light which fades the printing.

Scan, if possible, to preserve for future reference.
            “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

I am surprised that this rare newspaper from Archangel Russia is in as good of shape as it is. Something of this size is best photographed using a copy stand. It is far too fragile for a large format scanner at the print shop.

The collection is complete except for one page.
              Last edited by SRV Ron; 13 Jul 17, 05:50.
              “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                Berlin.1945
                by casanova
                The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                Yesterday, 23:41
              • casanova
                AW 169M
                by casanova
                The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                Yesterday, 23:26
              • JBark
                What changed?
                by JBark
                There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                Yesterday, 18:54
              Working...
              X