Memoir '44

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memoir '44

Having loads of free time after my return from West-Africa and spending quality time with family and friends playing Memoir '44. As not all my friends are military history enthousiasts (au contraire), this is a very palatable game for them (Lock 'n Load is not so attractive to the general public because it is very precise and detailed as well as perceived as too militaristic) while for me Memoir '44 is military oriented and 'realistic' enough to keep it interesting.

Its 'light' side, caused by the use of dice, restrictive command cards, quickness (whole game lasts approximately 1 hour, single turn 1 minute) all make it a very entertaining game to everybody, which I found a major asset, as everybody likes to play. A surprise was that even people with little tactical insight can come up with approaches which surprise you. The board on which the 'battles' take place and therefore the number of 'scenario's can be varied easily. Because I was able to play it much more often than Lock'n'Load (reasons being:
    1. far more people were willing to play it and
    2. it is more variable
    I actually rate it higher than LnL.
    BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Originally posted by captainsennef
    Having loads of free time after my return from West-Africa and spending quality time with family and friends playing Memoir '44. As not all my friends are military history enthousiasts (au contraire), this is a very palatable game for them (Lock 'n Load is not so attractive to the general public because it is very precise and detailed as well as perceived as too militaristic) while for me Memoir '44 is military oriented and 'realistic' enough to keep it interesting.

Its 'light' side, caused by the use of dice, restrictive command cards, quickness (whole game lasts approximately 1 hour, single turn 1 minute) all make it a very entertaining game to everybody, which I found a major asset, as everybody likes to play. A surprise was that even people with little tactical insight can come up with approaches which surprise you. The board on which the 'battles' take place and therefore the number of 'scenario's can be varied easily. Because I was able to play it much more often than Lock'n'Load (reasons being:
    1. far more people were willing to play it and
    2. it is more variable
    I actually rate it higher than LnL.
    Its the same with me and my friends but with Axis & Allies miniatures. I however just see it as a way to slowly shape their minds and increase their intrests in wargames, so that they one day may actually enjoy playing the absurdly complicated ones. Memoir '44 may just be their next step towards enlightenment

"The secret of war lies in the communications" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Originally posted by Pergite
      Its the same with me and my friends but with Axis & Allies miniatures. I however just see it as a way to slowly shape their minds and increase their intrests in wargames, so that they one day may actually enjoy playing the absurdly complicated ones. Memoir '44 may just be their next step towards enlightenment

Pergite, we seem to be kinded minds. This was my evil ulterior plan.
      BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

I like Memoir '44 its a good sit down and have some fun game... But I can always use a good game of some computer wargame or a nice tabletop game like Wooden Ships and Iron Men or Fields of Honor...
        The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

I use Memior '44 as a professional tool. I am currently a Troop Commander in Egypt and one of my LTs and I have been playing our way through the scenerios.

It makes for a good evening, plus I can see how with each battle his understanding of manuever and use of resources grows. It has been pretty fun. I already ordered the expansion packs so we can keep playing.
          Taylor to Santa Anna: "Tell him to go to hell."
          As translated by Major Bliss: "In reply to your note of this date, summoning me to surrender my forces at discretion, I beg leave to say that I decline acceding to your request."

Comment

Originally posted by captainsennef
            Pergite, we seem to be kinded minds. This was my evil ulterior plan.
            Its have actually found it quite easy to get fellow officers into wargaming. The trouble is that the more complicated ones takes alot of time, to much it seems for most people. I probably just need to get hold of the right "crew" to move on up on the wargaming scale.
            "The secret of war lies in the communications" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Originally posted by Pergite
              Its have actually found it quite easy to get fellow officers into wargaming. The trouble is that the more complicated ones takes alot of time, to much it seems for most people. I probably just need to get hold of the right "crew" to move on up on the wargaming scale.
              Setting up Axis and Allies already takes about an hour, far too long for curious newbies . The way I overcame the problem is to announce an evening during which we will play: 'A&A' or 'Diplomacy' (never tried to do this with Lock 'N Load) and catering will be provided. That ensured enough comers. Memoir '44 in my experience so far is the only game which can be played spontaneously.
              BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X