Does this look weird?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this look weird?

From left to right, Platoon captain (white sleeve), Platoon Sergeant (black sleeve) and regular trooper (standard green sleeve).

Too weird? I figured troops would need to identify their leaders in a battle, and I don't want to go down the custom decal route (can't be bothered basically and it turns out I must be some kind of purist!).

I got the idea from Space 1999 - the Moonbase Commander had a black sleeve, I think the security guys had red.

I gave the Officer the white sleeve as I figured he'd be hiding inside the APC and wouldn't need the camo' so much.

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

It could work! I agree that it's better than puttin' on decals.
    The safest place in Korea was behind a platoon of Marines. Lord how they could fight! - MGEN Frank Lowe, U.S. Army.
    ----
    We got a kinder, gentler, Machine gun hand - N.Y.

Comment

What about the helmets?
      "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
      Ernest Hemingway.

Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung baby View Post
        What about the helmets?
        If I could find a green cap (like a Cop's hat) from my local LEGO supplier - I'd change it, for sure (there's a website called Bricklink with literaly thousands of shops in it - it's entirely devoted to LEGO - my favourite Bricklink seller is in my own town and even delivers to my doorstep!).

Re' the helmets, my reasoning was that all troops would have the same basic equipment, a different visor for example might imply a different functionality helmet - and if one trooper had to swap equipment in battle, he should be able to do so with anyone without fear of it being any different.

Am I thinking about this too much?

Dr. S.
        Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

This seems right. In formation, the colored sleeves would be to the outside.
          If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister View Post
            If I could find a green cap (like a Cop's hat) from my local LEGO supplier - I'd change it, for sure (there's a website called Bricklink with literaly thousands of shops in it - it's entirely devoted to LEGO - my favourite Bricklink seller is in my own town and even delivers to my doorstep!).

Re' the helmets, my reasoning was that all troops would have the same basic equipment, a different visor for example might imply a different functionality helmet - and if one trooper had to swap equipment in battle, he should be able to do so with anyone without fear of it being any different.

Am I thinking about this too much?

Dr. S.
            LOL... not at all mate!

Don't some armies now employ rank on uniforms but dulled down so the enemy snipers can't distinguish between a Captain or a Private?

Maybe stripes on the arms or torso then... or am I dwelling on this too much as well?
            Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

Oh crap...the General has come around for a snap inspection.

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung baby View Post
                LOL... not at all mate!

Don't some armies now employ rank on uniforms but dulled down so the enemy snipers can't distinguish between a Captain or a Private?

Maybe stripes on the arms or torso then... or am I dwelling on this too much as well?
                A very good point on the Sniper issue! I think the sleeves look fine (and very cool on the Space 1999 inspiration!)...but you may also want to consider a stripe on the back of the helmet....color coded. Still identifiable to the men, but not immediately in the sniper's scope.
                http://www.militarywargaming.com

"The Golden Rule of War, Speed - Simplicity - Boldness" -- General George S. Patton, Jr

Comment

Oh crap...the General has come around for a snap inspection.

Dr. S.
                  Looks like the General has a stick up his four point of contact
                  If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Whiterook - re' the stripe thing, I might go that way, it's a good idea. I'm just so crap at my own decals.

How about this? I've been having a simultaneous discussion on a LEGO forum and they think both sleeves would be better.

Someone also suggested BLACK visors, this is fine, except now the men can't see where they are going and keep tripping over stuff.

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Red sleeves for the General... dunno, he looks like an angry red neck to me!

Perhaps a different color all over might be suffice.

But if it's going to be sleeves then make the general's black and the lesser ranks the red and white perhaps... just my opinion.
                      Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

Alright, I am now officially hooked on looking at these things every time you post them. I never knew there was such a variety to Lego.
                        ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
                        ¿Cualquier persona fija en el nude? Slug

Comment

These guys remind me somehow of a cross between the Firemen of Fahrenheit 451. and the German Police

Eternal War(gaming) Armoured Struggle Car Bob

History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any rational basis.
                          Lazarus Long

Draw the blinds on yesterday and it's all so much scarier....
                          David Bowie

Comment

Someone also suggested BLACK visors, this is fine, except now the men can't see where they are going and keep tripping over stuff.

Dr. S.
                            I thought it was part of the Sinister interpretive dance team.

Comment

Whiterook - re' the stripe thing, I might go that way, it's a good idea. I'm just so crap at my own decals.

How about this? I've been having a simultaneous discussion on a LEGO forum and they think both sleeves would be better.

Dr. S.
                              I actually like the one sleeve better....two sleeves look too Rambo.

The visor is cool...but again, those pesky snipers got a good bead.
                              http://www.militarywargaming.com

"The Golden Rule of War, Speed - Simplicity - Boldness" -- General George S. Patton, Jr

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X