Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syria Next?

Hello everybody,

Syria gave some military aid to Iraq even in the midst of war, and Rumsfeld warned Syria not to mess around with the Coalition troops or Syria would be next on the list to invade.

The one thing I cannot understand is why Syria has choosen to announce its support for Iraq rather than doing it covertly, and with little noise as possible. All I can see is Syria screwing up things a lot, making a lot of diplomatic blunders.

It angers me to see Syria, a member of Security Council (one of 10 members elected), is even considering to fight along with Iraq against the Coalition troops.

So what I am asking, is it possible that Syria may be the next target after Iraqi Freedom is completed? Each day brings a whole new crisis to deal with. If it's true, then how can we really expect to deal with North Korea crisis, we just can't leave it alone, sooner or later we have to deal with North Korea once for all.

Dan
    Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

No, I don't think a war with Syria is a good idea. If the Syrians send reinforcements over the border to support Iraq they should be dealt with. However a drive to Damascus would be a really bad move.

PNAC

Last edited by Chuck?; 07 Apr 03, 19:26.
    "There is no great genius without some touch of madness."

Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

Comment

I've had my bets on Syria being the next US intervention for quite a while. I don't know that it will come soon, though. I think the PNAC crew encountered more resistance from the rest of the world than they expected, despite the fact that they got their Pearl Harbour.
      "Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government’s purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding."

– Associate Justice Louis D. Brandeis, Olmstead vs. United States.

Comment

I would seriously thing twice before attacking Syria, because this could be just what is needed to make sure all hell breaks loose in the Middle East.

The worst case scenario: immediately upon being attacked by the U.S. Syria launches an attack on Israel to get the whole Arab world behind her. Israel retaliates against Syria and then God knows what happens. I would not be surprised to see pretty much all the Arab world, including Egypt, declaring war against Israel.

The current Israeli government itself is relishing that moment since a while: a new Israelo-Arab war would be the perfect excuse to reoccupy and brutalize the Palestinian territories once and for all. Some of the fascists in the Sharon government are just waiting for that to bring back that old idea of a Greater Israel.

Comment

Originally posted by Tzar
          I would seriously thing twice before attacking Syria, because this could be just what is needed to make sure all hell breaks loose in the Middle East.

The worst case scenario: immediately upon being attacked by the U.S. Syria launches an attack on Israel to get the whole Arab world behind her. Israel retaliates against Syria and then God knows what happens. I would not be surprised to see pretty much all the Arab world, including Egypt, declaring war against Israel.

The current Israeli government itself is relishing that moment since a while: a new Israelo-Arab war would be the perfect excuse to reoccupy and brutalize the Palestinian territories once and for all. Some of the fascists in the Sharon government are just waiting for that to bring back that old idea of a Greater Israel.
          Tzar,

There are no fascists in Sharon government, these are elected officials, whose source of power comes from the citizens of Israel.

Nobody in Israel is relishing for a new war, contrary to the preceived superiority of IDF, it cannot fight a war and deal with the Palestinians at the same time. Israel would want to maintain what's left of fragile peace with the rest of Arab neighbors.

You just can't blame Israel, it would be Arab neighbors who are responsible for starting this new war. If Syria launched a missile at Israel, then she is within her rights to assert self-defense, and launch a counterattack.

Dan
          Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah772

Tzar,

There are no fascists in Sharon government, these are elected officials, whose source of power comes from the citizens of Israel.

Nobody in Israel is relishing for a new war, contrary to the preceived superiority of IDF, it cannot fight a war and deal with the Palestinians at the same time. Israel would want to maintain what's left of fragile peace with the rest of Arab neighbors.

You just can't blame Israel, it would be Arab neighbors who are responsible for starting this new war. If Syria launched a missile at Israel, then she is within her rights to assert self-defense, and launch a counterattack.

Dan
            I don't think we should be hiding our heads in the sand anymore regarding the drift of the Israeli society towards violence, paranoia and religious and nationalist fanaticism.

And I don't think anybody can deny that when extreme religiousness and extreme nationalism meet together, it means that a very ugly mixture might be brewing.

The rise of fascist tendencies and currents in the Israeli society is starting to get documented seriously and I believe it is definetely a trend the supporters of Israel should get worried about. One good book about this issue, called "Murder in the Name of God" was published in 2001. You can read a review of it here: Can Israel Save Itself from Fascism?

It's used to be a well-known statement to say that "Israel is the only democracy in the Middle East". But asks the Israeli Arabs if they feel they have the same rights as the Israeli Jews in this peculiar democracy on a country whose fabric is based on religion and blood... In a couple of years, the Israeli democracy might become more fictitious than real.

Comment

There was an article in the NYTimes today that either directly quoted or attributed a quote from Bush Sr. about he never liked Rumsfeld and how he was a huge fan of Colin Powell.

My feeling is that Bush Jr. sided with the neo-conservatives on this issue - Iraq - but doesn't really buy into their worldview of destablizing the Middle East and rolling back adversaries around the globe.

Comment

Being elected does not preclude one from being a 'fascist' in the sense Tzar meant.
                It is foolish to deny that some people in Sharon's coalition government would like nothing better then to erase the palestians from the face of the earth.
                "Have you forgotten the face of your father?"

Comment

Tzar,

Dan
                  No Fascists in the Israeli government ?? You've got to be kidding me !!

just because somebody is elected, doesn't mean they aren't fascist.

BTW, I disagree that Israel couldn't fight an external war and an uprising by the Palestinians at the same time. The economic cost would be prohibitive due to a massive call up of reservists, but it could be done.
                  Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

The U.S. is not going to war with Syria. End of story.
                    "Speaking here in my capacity as a polished, sophisticated European as well, it seems to me the laugh here is on the polished, sophisticated Europeans. They think Americans are fat, vulgar, greedy, stupid, ambitious and ignorant and so on. And they've taken as their own Michael Moore, as their representative American, someone who actually embodies all of those qualities." - Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X