Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of Al-Jazeera?

Hello everybody,

Have anybody ever checked out the english section of Al-Jazeera reporting website? It can be located at:

http://english.aljazeera.net

I did check it out, it has some interesting news, some do criticize Iraqi government, but somehow left some news worthy to mention. For example, there's no mention of Private Lynch being recused. There's no mention of Iraqi torture abuses.

There's a lot of criticism for Americans conducting this war...

Check it out for yourselves...and see the real deal.

Dan
    Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

What does the Arabic section say?
    "There is no great genius without some touch of madness."

Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck
      What does the Arabic section say?
      How the hell should I know? I don't read the Arabic section, I only read the english section at the temporary website.

Dan
      Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah772

How the hell should I know?
        LOL

Dan, didn't actually think you could read Arabic (it would be good to learn though).
        "There is no great genius without some touch of madness."

Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

Comment

Re: What do you think of Al-Jazeera?

Hello everybody,

Have anybody ever checked out the english section of Al-Jazeera reporting website? It can be located at:

http://english.aljazeera.net

I did check it out, it has some interesting news, some do criticize Iraqi government, but somehow left some news worthy to mention. For example, there's no mention of Private Lynch being recused. There's no mention of Iraqi torture abuses.

There's a lot of criticism for Americans conducting this war...

Check it out for yourselves...and see the real deal.

Dan
          What do you expect them to report? What the media reports is always a reflection of what the people or the media themselves want to see. The Arab populace wants us to lose, reports of cheering Iraqi's, proof of Saddams hell hole and American advances would not help sell subsribtions to their sattelite service...

_Tim
          "Have you forgotten the face of your father?"

Comment

Re: Re: What do you think of Al-Jazeera?

Originally posted by Tim McBride

What do you expect them to report? What the media reports is always a reflection of what the people or the media themselves want to see. The Arab populace wants us to lose, reports of cheering Iraqi's, proof of Saddams hell hole and American advances would not help sell subsribtions to their sattelite service...

_Tim
            Agreed.

And it's worth to mention this Al-Jazeera is based in Quatar, one of our key Arab ally due to the US naval base that is stationed there. The CentCom is also stationed there, so it's somehow an interesting situation. More than likely, this Al-Jazeera is the stick of Quatar's foreign policy. The carrot is allowing the US to establish its military presence, and opening the market to limited business deals from Western world, and improving the Quatar economy with foreign aid. But at the same time, Quatar attempts to please the Arab population by offering a Western-style criticism of the US foreign policy and Israel as well.

So Quatar's Al-Jazeera is its polite way of saying, "We don't like you, if it were a different world, I would want you out of my country."

Dan

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Given that it's an Arab TV station I think their coverage is fair enough. It does give a different insight into events, by no means all which can be dismissed out of hand.
              The main point I take away is that the Shia Iraqis don't have much time for Saddam (surprise surprise!) but don't exactly see the Allied forces as their 'liberators' either.
              http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

I agree with Wolfe Tone.

Al Jazeera is the CNN of the Arab world. These cable news stations reflect the overall conceptions and culture of the region where they are based. For example, the American CNN is not completely neutral in this conflict. It is tilted favorably towards the war. Don't misunderstand me: CNN is not tilted to the pro-war position to the point that it would lose its credibility and professionalism, but you definetely have the feeling when watching CNN that they are not very critical of this war.

The same can be said of Al Jazeera. It is tilted towards a pro-Arab point of view. Not to the point if would be just a propaganda tool, but still you should get the pulse of the Arab world on Al Jazeera.

If you put yourself in the shoes of the Arabs for just 5 minutes, it's easy to understand that they are not very happy to see the U.S. invade Iraq, whatever the noble intentions the U.S. say they have. So Al Jazeera will reflect that position. I will go there once in a while, just to see how they portray things and appreciate the different perspective.

An Arab co-worker of mine pointed me recently to an Arab newspaper based in Egypt which publishes an English version on the Internet. I like this one because they have more in-depth articles and opinions. The newspaper editorial position can be classified as "Arab moderate" (this is no Hezbollah or Hamas). Go check it out there:

Al Ahram Weekly
                Last edited by Tzar; 06 Apr 03, 08:57.

Comment

Tzar,

I clicked on the link you provided to the Weekly Ahram website, and it's a broken one.

Can you please fix this?

Thanks,
                  Dan

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Actually Link worked for me

Comment

Been to that one before. Very much an Egyptian middle class viewpoint. Plenty of angst on the way America is moving Big Time into the Middle East and how it will all pan out.
                      http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

Tzar,

I clicked on the link you provided to the Weekly Ahram website, and it's a broken one.

Can you please fix this?

Thanks,
                        Dan
                        The link works when I click on it. Perhaps try to copy it directly into your web browser. The link is:

http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                          Berlin.1945
                          by casanova
                          The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                          Yesterday, 23:41
                        • casanova
                          AW 169M
                          by casanova
                          The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                          Yesterday, 23:26
                        • JBark
                          What changed?
                          by JBark
                          There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                          Yesterday, 18:54
                        Working...
                        X