WarfareHQ smarter than Pentagon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WarfareHQ smarter than Pentagon?

It seems the Pentagon (especially Rumsfeld) didn't plan the war very well. In the first Gulf War nearly 500,000 soldiers were gathered just to invade Kuwait. This time only 100,000 soldiers were allowed to overrun the entire country of Iraq.

Request for additional troop deployments that could of made the difference between a war that lasted a week and one that could go on for months were rejected. Now these troops are being rushed as quickly as possible to the region.

Had the Pentagon visited WarfareHQ last fall they probably would of come up with a better strategy. The dangers of going in light were highlighted and the idea that all resistance would cease the minute the first bombs were dropped was criticized.

http://www.warfarehq.com/forums/show...=&threadid=537
    (Possible dangers of Iraq war first highlighted)

http://www.warfarehq.com/forums/show...=&threadid=592
    "There is no great genius without some touch of madness."

Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

Re: WarfareHQ smarter than Pentagon?

Originally posted by Chuck
    It seems the Pentagon (especially Rumsfeld) didn't plan the war very well. In the first Gulf War nearly 500,000 soldiers were gathered just to invade Kuwait. This time only 100,000 soldiers were allowed to overrun the entire country of Iraq.

Request for additional troop deployments that could of made the difference between a war that lasted a week and one that could go on for months were rejected. Now these troops are being rushed as quickly as possible to the region.

Had the Pentagon visited WarfareHQ last fall they probably would of come up with a better strategy. The dangers of going in light were highlighted and the idea that all resistance would cease the minute the first bombs were dropped was criticized.

http://www.warfarehq.com/forums/show...=&threadid=537
    (Possible dangers of Iraq war first highlighted)

http://www.warfarehq.com/forums/show...=&threadid=592
    Actually, it's more like Deltapooh taking the prize.

Besides, I think we're just a bunch of armchair generals discussing varying tactics, but no discussion on how the logistics would be implemented....

Personally for me, I would prefer to establish a large airtstip in southwest part of Iraq to bring in the supplies from Kuwait more quickly with secondary routes on land taken. We need to establish FARPs as many we can to get the supplies to the units that need them badly. We do need place the supply convoys under the protection of APCs and a few tanks with air support close by. The last thing we need is a couple of Fedayeen units showing up to delay our supplies.

Airlifting the supplies in northern Iraq is a bit tricky, something I wouldn't even consider if Turkey option was out of window.

In addition, we need to continue bring in reinforcements and relief supplies from sea to Kuwait city and off-load them out to a few large airstrips in southwest Iraq.

Dan
    Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

I really hope that this thread is meant to be sarcasm.
      Take away Pearl Harbor and Marko would be writing in German Today.

Comment

Originally posted by arkai88
        I don't think so.

Mostly it's just armchair generals like me complaing loudly....

But then I've never been a real soldier, so I don't know anything in reality!

Personally, I think Franks is really trying his best with available forces.

We'll have to wait and see how the war is faring for us.

Dan
        Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

I think people are forgetting about downsizing and all the commitments that US forces have been engaged in since the nineties.We just don't have the same resources we did ten years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by John Paul
            I think people are forgetting about downsizing and all the commitments that US forces have been engaged in since the nineties.We just don't have the same resources we did ten years ago.
            Thanks.

Very true.

We went from maintaining 16 divisions to just eight or 10 divisions in the US Army. We have only one truly heavy armored division which is 1st Cavalry or 1st Armored Division (I forget which one). We have two mechanized divisions, 3rd and 4th IDs. Some of the other divisions are infantry ones, and support units. In all, we have limited combat power we can bring about on any nation, but it's a lot comparing to these nations' pitiful small armies.

Dan

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah772

Thanks.

Very true.

We went from maintaining 16 divisions to just eight or 10 divisions in the US Army. We have only one truly heavy armored division which is 1st Cavalry or 1st Armored Division (I forget which one). We have two mechanized divisions, 3rd and 4th IDs. Some of the other divisions are infantry ones, and support units. In all, we have limited combat power we can bring about on any nation, but it's a lot comparing to these nations' pitiful small armies.

Dan
              We also had a drop in morale and lower retention rates for personnel over that time period due to so many long overseas deployments.Many people were warning that these peacekeeping and humanitarian missions would result in some loss of effectiveness to our forces.

Comment

I just read your signature about pear harbour, as european, I think than Russian must be the right "writing", I don't want to put my head to be cut, but I think that Russian would have overrun alone the German, took longer time but they won at the end (1946 may be), IMOH

Der Wanderer
                The Best weapon ever:a good Joke. The Best shield ever: Humour
                JLBETIN© Aka Der Wanderer TOAW Section Leader is a █ WHQ/SZO/XG/Gamesquad® product since 01/2003
                The Birth of European Army Tournament round Three is opened

Comment

Originally posted by jlbetin
                  I don't want to put my head to be cut, but I think that Russian would have overrun alone the German, took longer time but they won at the end (1946 may be), IMOH
                  Soviet Union alone? You must be kidding!
                  “To tell deliberate lies while genuinely believing in them, to forget any fact that has become inconvenient, and then when it becomes necessary again, to draw it back from oblivion for just so long as it is needed…” -1984 about the Big Lie

Comment

Why ? Are you the president ? Or just one of the Joint Chiefs ?

Comment

Originally posted by Sheik Yerbouti

Soviet Union alone? You must be kidding!
                      Honnestly, not, may be you are right and I'm false

But in 1941/1942 there were no second front to remove pressure on USSR and Staligrad, was the major break which put NAZI on defensive way (even kursk was a failure).
                      So IMOH Great Tovarich Josef STALIN (Blessed be his name), little father of All Great Russias, and little father of the PEOPLE of Workers and Peasant etc.....
                      So big Brother could have won the war alone

Hurrah Podebia Komunist Pasdarai
                      JLBETIN© Aka Der Wanderer TOAW Section Leader is a █ WHQ/SZO/XG/Gamesquad® product since 01/2003

Comment

But in 1941/1942 there were no second front to remove pressure on USSR and Staligrad, was the major break which put NAZI on defensive way
                        So African front, Atlantic front, lend-lease material, allied bombings, occupation forces tied to the rest of Europe etc. etc. etc. were insignificant? Did you even know that Germany's industrial capacity was greater than Soviet Union's by the time?
                        “To tell deliberate lies while genuinely believing in them, to forget any fact that has become inconvenient, and then when it becomes necessary again, to draw it back from oblivion for just so long as it is needed…” -1984 about the Big Lie

Comment

Originally posted by Sheik Yerbouti

So African front, Atlantic front, lend-lease material, allied bombings, occupation forces tied to the rest of Europe etc. etc. etc. were insignificant? Did you even know that Germany's industrial capacity was greater than Soviet Union's by the time?
                          No polemic but hom many divisions in Africa ?, Atlantic front submarines no tanks, allied bombing in 1941/1942 ?? big push was in 1943

Production but in 1944 even with Allied bombing was the highest possible.

May be you are right but I'm not convinced, and help to USSR was told important but not a killing criteria.

You are a US in finland ? or a Finish guy
                          I appreciate you quote about Francophobia, but i'm affraid that big Jack was going a bridge too far, and the price we are paying in term of loss of contracts is too heavy

Der wanderer

Comment

No polemic but hom many divisions in Africa ?, Atlantic front submarines no tanks, allied bombing in 1941/1942 ?? big push was in 1943
                            What I was trying to say was that German resources were tied to many fronts, and Soviet Union would most propably have been crushed if it were concentrated solely against Soviet Union. This is naturally nothing more but highly debatable speculation though.

Production but in 1944 even with Allied bombing was the highest possible.
                            That's because German war economy was not fully mobilized until then (although Speer took every credit of it)...

May be you are right but I'm not convinced, and help to USSR was told important but not a killing criteria.
                            According to Soviet propaganda, lend-lease material and other fronts had no significance...

You are a US in finland ? or a Finish guy
                            I appreciate you quote about Francophobia, but i'm affraid that big Jack was going a bridge too far, and the price we are paying in term of loss of contracts is too heavy.
                            Finnish, and against all Nazis, Republicanazis and Stalinists in the world.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X