Effects of the sandstorm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Effects of the sandstorm

We all know that coalition operations were, for the most part, suspended during the recent sandstorm in Iraq.

I'm curious as to what effect the sandstorm had on the US equipment; particularly the M1 Abrams tank and the various helicopters in the Coalition arsenal.

The M1 Abrams uses a gas turbine engine to propel it's great weight to battle. These engines are very susceptible(?) to damage from the ingestion of FOD (foreign object damage). With the sand whipping around at 60+ Km/hr, the danger of sand getting into the engine compressor section could make for some interesting maintenance problems.

The same applies to the helicopters in Iraq. This would be compounded by any damage the sand could have caused to the rotor blades themselves.
    Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Hi,

On French TV we saw a Paladin exploding after sheeling 2 rounds, the sandstorm was describe by the US captain as a Bl*He.. she**responsible of the explosion, sure the sandstorm is a good Iraqui's soldier

der Wanderer
    The Best weapon ever:a good Joke. The Best shield ever: Humour
    JLBETIN© Aka Der Wanderer TOAW Section Leader is a █ WHQ/SZO/XG/Gamesquad® product since 01/2003
    The Birth of European Army Tournament round Three is opened

Comment

Just saw the footage of that Paladin...wow. Reports say it was caused by a misfire (no casualties); though no idea what caused the misfire.

Have also seen footage of Helo engines being repaired due to the sand but no word on damage to M1's and Bradley's. I think the sandstorms have helped us more than hurt. The troops are now rested (as much as can be in this situation) and the Coalition forces have gathered themselves, ready to attack with more fresh troops now that much closer to joining their compatriots.

Got a kick out of the footage showing a U.S. soldier sleeping with the sand and wind blowing hard around him....get it where and when you can.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyVon

Got a kick out of the footage showing a U.S. soldier sleeping with the sand and wind blowing hard around him....get it where and when you can.
        When I was a conscript 20 years ago, during maneuvers, as soon there was a time to sleep whatever the comfort was, all of us

deeply

the stengh of soldier is the ability to sleep anywhere at anytime

Der Wanderer
        JLBETIN© Aka Der Wanderer TOAW Section Leader is a █ WHQ/SZO/XG/Gamesquad® product since 01/2003

Comment

I think the sandstorms have helped us more than hurt. The troops are now rested (as much as can be in this situation) and the Coalition forces have gathered themselves, ready to attack with more fresh troops now that much closer to joining their compatriots.
          I was thinking the same thing. Really, the storm couldn't have come at a better time...just when our spearhead was reaching its destination and was in need of rest.
          Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Looks like the Iraqis are going to use their best Generals from now on: General Sandstorm and General Heatstroke.
            http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

Don't neglect Colonel Colateral Damage, it can give Saddam a big push

Comment

The sand storm reeks the greatest havoc on the AH-64 Apache. Unless the US Army replaced the blades in recent years, the sand can actually cause serious damage to them. In 1991, for every one hour of flight time, the Apache required around five hours of maintenance.

While I believe there have been improvements, I don't think the problem has been resolved. In addition, I heard the sand causes damage to the AGM-114 Hellfire Missile seeker.
                "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

Originally posted by Deltapooh
                  In addition, I heard the sand causes damage to the AGM-114 Hellfire Missile seeker.
                  Even worse is the wear on the FKN-6 Reciprocating Piston, Bunker Breaking, Moisture Guided Missile...
                  I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

Comment

Hey Heat, has the snow melted in Denver? I'm going there next week and need to know if I'll need more than the handy Hertz 5" plastic scraper to clear my windshield.

Comment

Hey Heat, has the snow melted in Denver? I'm going there next week and need to know if I'll need more than the handy Hertz 5" plastic scraper to clear my windshield.
                      A little breezy today...in the 30's but should warm up nicely in the next few days into the 60's. Still about a foot of snow on the ground and some of it will certainly be around for the next week or two! Wearing shorts while having a snowball fight is the forecast!

Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Sand under the foreskin is meant to be a f**ker.

Comment

Yet another reason for circumcision.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X