Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new strategy?

Hello,

With so much media focused on the supposedly use of "shock and awe" tactics (i.e., the main aerial bombardment), the past two days have been somehow unexpectedly quiet.

I think this is a part of a new strategy, something that's been in works for months, the one where that will bring in the media to win over the world public opinion that's been going against us.

If the war were to end with little bang as possible, then the world would have no choice but to concede that the US strategy was effective with some limited losses of lives and civilian infrastructure. The biggest regret in my opinion was not having our airmobile divisions immediately taking to air to liberate the oilfields in southern and northern Iraq to prevent the sabotage efforts by the loyal Iraqi soldiers. So far, it's been an ecological disaster, but everything else is going smoothingly, at least for now.

It appears for now the Bush administration is concerned with winning the world public opinion, though, Bush has 40 countries supporting him, I think he would have liked a couple of major world powers -- France, Germany or Russia -- to concede that the US was right all along.

Or it could be the result of the Iraqi leadership already breaking within, then there would be no need for "shock and awe" tactics.

Dan
    Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Re: A new strategy?

Originally posted by Cheetah772

Or it could be the result of the Iraqi leadership already breaking within, then there would be no need for "shock and awe" tactics.

Dan
    I think you put on finger on it. Iraqi leadership is definitely crumbling. Because of this, it might not be long before Iraqi forces surrender massively and consequently there is no urgent need to unleash massive hell from the skies on a 24 hour basis.

Incidentally, Iraq 51st Mechanized division, in charge of protecting Basra in southern Iraq, surrendered without a fight.

Although these reports are still unconfirmed, ABC News reported that 3 of Hussein henchmen might already be dead, his son Uday might be injured or dead also and Hussein himself was apparently seen on a stretcher with an oxygen mask on his face

If this is all true, it's amazing.

Comment

Re: Re: A new strategy?

Originally posted by Tzar

I think you put on finger on it. Iraqi leadership is definitely crumbling. Because of this, it might not be long before Iraqi forces surrender massively and consequently there is no urgent need to unleash massive hell from the skies on a 24 hour basis.

Incidentally, Iraq 51st Mechanized division, in charge of protecting Basra in southern Iraq, surrendered without a fight.

Although these reports are still unconfirmed, ABC News reported that 3 of Hussein henchmen might already be dead, his son Uday might be injured or dead also and Hussein himself was apparently seen on a stretcher with an oxygen mask on his face

If this is all true, it's amazing.
      Hello Tzar,

Yeah, it looks like Bush lifted the presidential ban on the assassinations on the foreign leaders, and went for jugular....good ridicule for Saddam and his henchmen!

Dan
      Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Re: Re: Re: A new strategy?

Originally posted by Cheetah772

Hello Tzar,

Yeah, it looks like Bush lifted the presidential ban on the assassinations on the foreign leaders, and went for jugular....good ridicule for Saddam and his henchmen!

Dan
        The President has not lifted the Executive Order forbidding political assassinations. Saddam Hussein and his cabinet are classified as combatants in conflict with the United States. Thus, they can be legitimately targeted by the military under Executive Orders 11095 and later 12036

Executive Order 12036

We don't really know for sure just what the Iraqi military is doing. They just might be foregoing electronic communication means because our intelligence gathering capabilities. Couriers are slower, but still a reliable and secure way to communicate with forces in the field.

Then again, Saddam could be seriously injured. One should keep in mind though that Saddam is a very paranoid individual. He doesn't use use limos, and expensive vehicles to travel around. He wears disguises. During the Gulf War, there were reports Saddam moved about in taxicabs and on camels. An ambulance is a great means of transportation because Coalition forces would be very reluctant to attack the vehicle.

The gas mask and stretcher report is more difficult to interpret. On the one hand it could help justify transportation in an ambulance. On the other, Saddam would be very reluctant to show any sign of weakness for almost any reasons.

Right now, we just don't know, so should assume the worst. If the Iraqis, particularly the RGFC, resists on contact in large numbers, we're in very deep trouble. Most of these men could fight out of fear of punishment once Saddam is gone. Many likely have committed atrocities against their people in one form or another. That alone could inspire resistance. I pray Saddam has lost control. His sons are dangerous, but I'm not certain the more experienced Iraqi commanders would support them as fanactically as Saddam, especially if the leader is dead or close to death.
        "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X