We're (Canada) trying!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're (Canada) trying!

I have on in the background the meeting in Canadian parliment. A mess of our high-up muckety-mucks are pleading with Jean Chretien to let Canada add it's support to the US led war on Iraq.

Bush is quite pissed at us for not becoming involved, and I'm sure most of you are aware that there is a decent amount of anti-Canada sentiment floating around the US right now due to this. (Certain radio stations will no longer broadcast Canuck news items, etc). For those of you who read this, and especially for those of you that are directly involved somehow; please know that you have alot of friends and support up here, even if our crotchety old bag of a PM will not allow us to throw our hat into the ring.

Canada's contribution carries more weight politically than militarily, and a great many of us are saddened that we're not standing beside you, helping in any way that we can.
    "When I am abroad I always make it a rule never to criticize or attack the Government of my country. I make up for lost time when I am at home."

Winston Churchill

The American people can rest assured that most of the individuals in the Canadian Armed Forces are supportive of their efforts in Iraq. Unfortunately, as soldiers, we don't make the political decisions for our use in conflicts.
    Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

To be honest I haven't heard a single complaint about Canada not participating. I suppose that might anger Canadians even more. Not that we wouldn't appreciate your help.

Comment

Alot of people don't understand how politics and diplomacy works. They are responding to what people say, and not what they do. War is politically hazardous to your political health. Bush invited the absence of support by always reminding politicians that he was more than willing to act unilaterally. That gave alot of people an out. People don't support war. And alot of countries can't afford it.

To be honest, if I were in control of Canada, or France, I would probably not support war either. Who needs the extra headache? The US will require multilateral assistance in the future, so the relationship is not damaged. You rid the world of a dictator without taking the political risk America and Britian will occur. Its a very nice bargin.

If anyone believes Putin, Chirac, or any of the nations who have spoken out against the US really hate us, they are smoking some pretty good weed. What you have are skilled politicians going along with what their people feel to achieve their political objectives. Most would love to see Saddam go, but don't want to take the chances Bush and Blair are.

Bush found out that the world is hypocritical. I truly believe he received alot more private support from Germany, France, and Russia than he can admit to. They are certainly communicating on a constant basis, which would not be the behavior of truly opposing nations. He had to bite his tongue during the UN debate. Now he is taking the opportunity to fire back. Then they jump on the phone before the guy can see it and say, "Hey sorry, public opinion you know....." That's how things work in the world of politics.

I believe the only long-term damage that can occur from all this is the kind the people impose. No one is willing to turn over the Middle East to the US and Britian. So I expect, as we are already seeing, a return to multilateralism on rebuilding and stabilizing Iraq. Some might be more involved than they like, but they have few options. They're content with allowing the US and British to be in the limelight because when things go bad, "*hit is usually directed at the fan." Those behind it are safe.

So anyone who believes France, Germany, Russia, or Canada is no longer our friends and allies, need to get real. This is a multi-phased operation that will ultimately involve the entire world. People might not want to get involved with the killing part. However, that is just the easy part. After Saddam is gone, we will be responsible for rebuilding that nation. Despite what Bush claims, given the possible cost, and complexity, we're gonna be beggin for help. And the world, eager to help shape the region to benefit their interest, will be more than willing to answer the call.

So we should stop listening to what is being said on the camera and take a closer look at our history and events going on behind the scene. We'll be fools to throw away our relationship over a jack*ss like Saddam. And while some people might think this is the case, they are simply looking and not thinking.

In short. Thanks for the support. However, people like me, who do more than watch Channel 7 news to develop an informed opinion, understand and would hope no harm is done, and we're all still friends. When they announce Saddam is dead, or in exile, I don't expect many people to say Bush should have left him in place.

As Tex have stated, I've yet to hear anything bad being said about Canada. Mainly, we're fuming over France, Germany, and Russia. However, given the emotions being thrown left and right over here, it would not surprise me. People really need to stop listening to opinions and start searching for the truth.
        "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

I think it should also be noted, that it has always been Canadian policy to promote action via the UN or (less so) NATO. However, there are approx. 150 Canadian military staff in the mid-east that may or may not be assisting US staffs, and I wouldn't be surprised if JTF2 (Canada's special ops force) has elements operating with US forces against Iraq.

Posted by Tex:

To be honest I haven't heard a single complaint about Canada not participating. I suppose that might anger Canadians even more.

Damn right we're mad. Don't you guys ever pay any attention to us, even when our government deliberately opposes a major US policy!?

Comment

I think many people in Canada and other places don't realize that all we're really looking for is a little bit of moral support.

If France had said something along the lines that "they would not participate, but believed the U.S. had honorable intentions" I think most Americans would be satisfied with that.

We're not looking to drag all our allies into a war, but I don't think its too much to ask that they take our side "in spirit" and give us some benefit of the doubt.

Americans get the impression they would rather give a homicidal maniac like Saddam the benefit of the doubt.
            "Speaking here in my capacity as a polished, sophisticated European as well, it seems to me the laugh here is on the polished, sophisticated Europeans. They think Americans are fat, vulgar, greedy, stupid, ambitious and ignorant and so on. And they've taken as their own Michael Moore, as their representative American, someone who actually embodies all of those qualities." - Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Schenkel
              I think it should also be noted, that it has always been Canadian policy to promote action via the UN or (less so) NATO. However, there are approx. 150 Canadian military staff in the mid-east that may or may not be assisting US staffs, and I wouldn't be surprised if JTF2 (Canada's special ops force) has elements operating with US forces against Iraq.

Damn right we're mad. Don't you guys ever pay any attention to us, even when our government deliberately opposes a major US policy!?
              [/B]
              As we speak there are approx. 30 Canadians on exchange serving with US and UK forces in the Iraqi Theatre of Operations. They have been given the go ahead to proceed with their units to assist in the attack on Iraq.
              I guess that's Chretien's way of showing his support to the US.
              Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Originally posted by tigersqn

As we speak there are approx. 30 Canadians on exchange serving with US and UK forces in the Iraqi Theatre of Operations. They have been given the go ahead to proceed with their units to assist in the attack on Iraq.
                I guess that's Chretien's way of showing his support to the US.
                Hopefully the 30 includes those snipers of yours who were setting all sorts of records in Afghanistan.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X