Question for the Sailors and Watermen here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the Sailors and Watermen here

As some of you already know, part of my job involves doing design projects for customers of the construction company I work for. Some of these can be very interesting for me and cause me to do a lot of research on various things. It is quite rewarding.

Coming up it looks like I might be getting to do a residential design in a nautical environment with a nautical theme. This is new for me and very intriguing, but as I look into this concept I am finding that it is not uncommon for people to go overboard with Kitsch in this area. It seems to me a lot of people who try to go nautical end up with too many kitsch lighthouses, sea creatures, and maritime flotsam.

But I have a theory that I am working with. I believe that true maritime people usually have a few key items of maritime decor that are important to them, but don't cram it into every nook and cranny of their existence. Kind of a less is more concept, which I think is usually true.

So, my question to all of you true Maritime people here at ACG is this. How does your life on the water manifest itself in your home? In terms of its design and its decor?

Boating and fishing paraphenelia? Mostly in the garage.

Seriously, there's a photo or two around the house, but nothing major. Some of my friends have a bit more maritime stuff, but its usually personal to them or their families - photos or maybe a mounted fish they caught. Thats about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Miss Saigon View Post
      As some of you already know, part of my job involves doing design projects for customers of the construction company I work for. Some of these can be very interesting for me and cause me to do a lot of research on various things. It is quite rewarding.

Coming up it looks like I might be getting to do a residential design in a nautical environment with a nautical theme. This is new for me and very intriguing, but as I look into this concept I am finding that it is not uncommon for people to go overboard with Kitsch in this area. It seems to me a lot of people who try to go nautical end up with too many kitsch lighthouses, sea creatures, and maritime flotsam.

But I have a theory that I am working with. I believe that true maritime people usually have a few key items of maritime decor that are important to them, but don't cram it into every nook and cranny of their existence. Kind of a less is more concept, which I think is usually true.

So, my question to all of you true Maritime people here at ACG is this. How does your life on the water manifest itself in your home? In terms of its design and its decor?
      Less is more and more tasteful. Just like a beautiful woman does not need to hide behind her jewels.

I've only been an inland boatman but all the stuff I ever had is stored.

I'll even bet that the development has all the stupidly cute street names, Cpts Cove, Sea breeze, Snug Harbor. IF they need themes then go to a theme park unless your building a yacht club or bait store.
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

I'll even bet that the development has all the stupidly cute street names, Cpts Cove, Sea breeze, Snug Harbor. .
        Development? We are not that big John. We do one or two projects at a time with a focus on detail. We never do anything big enough where we get to name the streets

But your point is to the point. I am trying to stay away from the over done Kitsch and want to accomplish the design in a more realistic and tasteful way.

I have found some very elegant and expensive tidal clocks and barometers that I think might have a place. I am more inclined to go with real accoutrement of the sea rather than inexpensive knock offs if I go down this road.

I could specify things like Porthole windows in places if I wanted, but again that might be going over the top. I could do all sorts of things with seashell tiles in bathrooms if I want, but this kind of thing doesn't appeal to me.

Again, I am thinking that real people who make a life at or on the sea don't go in for too much of that kind of detail. I am inclined to think theirs are more classic with sea going touches.

So I am looking at more classic seaside architectural designs and then working my way toward the details.

I am wondering what Bass_Mann has in his den?

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
          I'll even bet that the development has all the stupidly cute street names, Cpts Cove, Sea breeze, Snug Harbor. IF they need themes then go to a theme park unless your building a yacht club or bait store.
          "I'm lame. I'm very lame." I'm picturing Ted Knight in Caddyshack here.

The ascot simply screams, "I'm a d*ck."

I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

I was born ten feet from the sea, grew up on boats,( until I found aircraft) work during the summer for a mate in France delivering and working on boats and have one picture of a boat in the house...my grand dads personal trawler that went to Dunkirk...

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
              "I'm lame. I'm very lame." I'm picturing Ted Knight in Caddyshack here.

The ascot simply screams, "I'm a d*ck."

Comment

Development? We are not that big John. We do one or two projects at a time with a focus on detail. We never do anything big enough where we get to name the streets

But your point is to the point. I am trying to stay away from the over done Kitsch and want to accomplish the design in a more realistic and tasteful way.

I have found some very elegant and expensive tidal clocks and barometers that I think might have a place. I am more inclined to go with real accoutrement of the sea rather than inexpensive knock offs if I go down this road.

I could specify things like Porthole windows in places if I wanted, but again that might be going over the top. I could do all sorts of things with seashell tiles in bathrooms if I want, but this kind of thing doesn't appeal to me.

Again, I am thinking that real people who make a life at or on the sea don't go in for too much of that kind of detail. I am inclined to think theirs are more classic with sea going touches.

So I am looking at more classic seaside architectural designs and then working my way toward the details.

I am wondering what Bass_Mann has in his den?
                Bass-mann, that swapi most likely has two case of Bud lite next to his chair in a cooler and twice as many emptys out in the garage. IF you want authentic then take a look at the film Perfect Storm.

Comment

I've spent most of my adult life in the Canadian Navy, so I guess I qualify as a sailor/waterman. In my den:

A print of every ship on which I have served;
                  Some small trinkets that mean something only to me (Example: the Christmas decoration I contributed to the ship's tree when we spent Christmas at sea prior to Gulf War 1); and
                  A miniature version of this statue (a gift from messmates when I was posted off the ship)

I am a bit light on the memorabilia, but friends who have more tend to follow the same pattern. It's stuff that has personal meaning, not just sea shells and knick knacks.
                  Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Roadkiller View Post
                      I've spent most of my adult life in the Canadian Navy, so I guess I qualify as a sailor/waterman. In my den:

A print of every ship on which I have served;
                      Some small trinkets that mean something only to me (Example: the Christmas decoration I contributed to the ship's tree when we spent Christmas at sea prior to Gulf War 1); and
                      A miniature version of this statue (a gift from messmates when I was posted off the ship)

I am a bit light on the memorabilia, but friends who have more tend to follow the same pattern. It's stuff that has personal meaning, not just sea shells and knick knacks.
                      Excellent information. This is exactly what I thought. I had a feeling items would be of a very personal nature and not a bunch of common knick knacks.

Thanks so much for the input!

Comment

Originally posted by The Ibis View Post

Here's the real me:

Of course you know that Rodney was a native New Yorker.
                        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Excellent information. This is exactly what I thought. I had a feeling items would be of a very personal nature and not a bunch of common knick knacks.

Thanks so much for the input!
                          Another common one is ship's plaques. I have a couple of those from exchange tours. A friend has dozens, and he can relate a story about each ship represented, although they often start with "We were in a bar ... ".
                          Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics.

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                            Here's the real me:

Of course you know that Rodney was a native New Yorker.
                            Let only hope your missus doesn't let you go out dressed like that.

Comment

I have a nice framed print of the USS INTREPID (the ship I served on) I also have the Admiral's (3 star) pennant, and about half the signal flags that were carelessly left lying around. I have several old paintings of ships (both sail and steam) and I enjoy building scale sailing ships from wooden kits and plans. As for the fake portholes, diver helmets, resin lighthouses, ceramic seagull ashtrays and all the other crap that comes imported from China...no thanks..
                              ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                              IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X