Visiting Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visiting Turkey

My son is going on a year long exchange to Turkey through the Rotary International exchange program, he leaves in August. He was originally slated to visit Kyrgyzstan, however, do to the obvious problems they're experiencing, they change his destination. He'll be staying in an Istanbul suburb with what seems to be a very nice family. (I've met them via email)

Has anyone here been to Turkey, especially recently? Any tips or thoughts I can pass on to the boy would be greatly appreciated. BTW, he's soon to turn 17 years old and is a generally well mannered and hard working kid.

Originally posted by llkinak View Post
    My son is going on a year long exchange to Turkey through the Rotary International exchange program, he leaves in August. He was originally slated to visit Kyrgyzstan, however, do to the obvious problems they're experiencing, they change his destination. He'll be staying in an Istanbul suburb with what seems to be a very nice family. (I've met them via email)

Has anyone here been to Turkey, especially recently? Any tips or thoughts I can pass on to the boy would be greatly appreciated. BTW, he's soon to turn 17 years old and is a generally well mannered and hard working kid.
    When in Rome do as the Romans do.

Dress codes are different than in the west. I've ever been to Turkey but what I hear from those that have been there the people are very hospitable. Follow the actions of the locals, see what and how they do things. How do they greet others etc. If he is well mannered then he should have no problems. Get him to learn Please and thank you in Turkish for starts. Those are always good words to know and use.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Istanbul isn't all that different, I never noticed any major differences in dress code aside for the customary taking off your shoes when entering one's home (and of course musks).

Avoid the bosporus fish stands at all costs, unless you're a fan of dysentery.

Kapalı Çarşı (the Grand Bazaar) is a great source for local items (which are surprisingly cheap and relatively high quality).
      It's also the major site for weapons&BB guns stores if he's into it.
      Market places and street stands' prices are always negotiable (and he shouldn't be afraid to do it, the asking price is usually twice or more then the selling price) OTOH he shouldn't do it in restaurants or "official" establishments.

I don't know if he's a "in your face" kind of guy, but times aren't ideal for westerners, I'm sure that an official program covers that and of course the family he'll stay with will do it too, but when\if he'll roam the streets alone it's always best to lay low.

YOU should take care of all insurances possible and if god forbids something happen, make sure he's taken ONLY to the American hospital in Istanbul and no where else, even at the price of aerial evacuation.

Other then that I'm sure he's hosts will take care of whatever he'll need to know.

Oh yeah and tell him to have fun
      Last edited by Golani; 28 Jun 10, 12:30.

Comment

Probably the only Islamic country you'd like to go to and feel comfortable.

My Polish side of the family (who actually live in Poland) including my sister and brother-in-law has been to both Egypt and Turkey on vacation. Turkey is passable, Egypt is the usual attractions in Cairo but in Egypt the locals will look at you in a very unfriendly way, just because you are a "Westerner". They don't bother singling out Americans specifically, I guess having whiter skin is enough to attract scornful looks.

Stupid medieval mob.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
        --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Originally posted by llkinak View Post

Don't bother to change your money. All the locals I met prefered pounds, euro's and dollars to the local currency, and often you would get a really healthy discount as well .
          How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
          Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X