Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.5 quake on the Ottawa Quebec border

Ya know, initially I thought my friend was kidding like he often does

But he felt in in his north Oshawa home enough to realize what it was.

Spoke to my mother in Orleans and yes, that was an earth quake alright, sure gave her a real fright. Enough that the home most assuredly shook some. She mentioned there might have been some related power losses in Ottawa itself.

Meanwhile here in Central Ontario, NOTHING was evident. And I have models that would most definitely let me know if the place were to feel a damn thing.

It's not a normal occurrence to speak of quakes up here in the shield though.

But from what I have been taught, New York city is due for a devastating kick in the balls that even Frisco doesn't routinely deal with. And New York geographically speaking is not sooooo far away from the Ontario Quebec border.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

I heard a report that it was felt in Pittsburgh. Hopefully damage were minimal and injuries and fatalities nonexistent.

Regards,
    Dennis
    If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

It looks like there shouldn't have been much damage...

Tectonic Summary
      Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

It was felt here in Oshawa but surpisingly I never felt anything.
        ´
        “You need to help people. I know it's not very Republican to say but you need to help people.” DONALD TRUMP, 2016

Comment

Glad you guys dodged a bullet "up there"!

Comment

At 1:50 I was standing at my front door up in Haliburton Highlands
            Ontario not far from were Les lives and the whole house started to
            shake my CD case was swaying back and forth my Petro Canada
            88 Olympic glass set was clattering front door was swinging back
            and forth WOW I thought it was the end, it was somewhat freaky
            to say the least.

Comment

Just more proof I guess, if you want a dull f**king boring existence, my town is the place to be.

Nothing ever seems to happen here. Weather can be totally crap 30 miles away, but nothing happening here.

I suppose it would be illogical to complain though. No adverse events is I guess a 'good thing'.

The mill closed, the trains went away, all the industry is gone. We have a college though. It's not surprising we have a very high teen pregnancy rate. Nothing else to do in town but knock up some guys daughter

Anyone with any money in town, works somewhere else out of town.

Comment

Well I missed the quake, but the wife just mentioned a tornado warning is up for the area. Been a nasty hot day today, but there ain't no local wind movement at the moment. Ya don't get tornados on hot still days normally.

Wonder what will be next if the tornado is a no show? Bit warm for freezing rain. Flood and tidal waves are not geographically possible. Volcano? now that sure would be a surprise. If I stop posting maybe a large rock got me

Comment

I totally missed the quake because I was driving.

It looks like the grand total damage is one bridge near the epicenter.

Comment

Les,

It sounds like you need to take a vacation or move away
                    from Lindsay say to Orillia or Barrie you are way to bored and
                    don't think I am not in the same boat as you are, except I live in
                    the country not in town it is heaven 'almost' only problem is the
                    A- Hole kids. (Crime)

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
                      Well I missed the quake, but the wife just mentioned a tornado warning is up for the area. Been a nasty hot day today, but there ain't no local wind movement at the moment. Ya don't get tornados on hot still days normally.

Wonder what will be next if the tornado is a no show? Bit warm for freezing rain. Flood and tidal waves are not geographically possible. Volcano? now that sure would be a surprise. If I stop posting maybe a large rock got me
                      Locusts?

Maybe God is trying to tell you something.

REPENT!

Later - Tater
                      "Why I have a greater affinity to Israel than to the Muslim world after 9/11: Watching a death-match fight on Animal Planet once, I found myself instinctively rooting for the mammal over the reptile."

Comment

Originally posted by General Brock View Post
                        Les,

It sounds like you need to take a vacation or move away
                        from Lindsay say to Orillia or Barrie you are way to bored and
                        don't think I am not in the same boat as you are, except I live in
                        the country not in town it is heaven 'almost' only problem is the
                        A- Hole kids. (Crime)
                        Once upon a time I was stuck here thanks to family. The parent's lived here still and it was handy (the fact my shop was on their property helped). That and the wife's side still largely lived in town.

Well the folks moved to Ottawa, and the wife's side have grown up, gotten married and moved juuuuust far enough away, that now a family gathering is like an annual event at best. And I am at best able to visit Ottawa at most once in the year.

Myself, lacking ANY form of mobility of the vehicular form, I am dependent on either a small location (this town is a 30 minute walk wide), or reasonable public transit (ie dirt cheap).

I might have moved to Belleville at one time. Had friends there. But young people move fairly casually, and they no longer live there. I'd a been once again, in a place with just my fmaily. Granted Belleville is not veeeery far from great beaches. But then you can't walk to them either.

The town IS indeed dull, but, oh well, I've reached the age where a lot of activities have faded from importance. When I was younger (and healthier) I liked dancing. The fact there is only lame dancing in town is not as important to me now (A, I can't dance without near killing myself, and B, well I no longer need to date hehe).

I do miss the green spots which are almost all gone. Man this town sure has changed since 1967. My frog hunting creeks are now the North Ward, and all the rail lines spaces have been built over. Half the key buildings are gone from when I moved here.

Orrillia and Barrie are not bad I suppose. They are sort of the same distance from the wife's side's extended family, just the other side. They are all spread out from here to Orrillia. I envy my oldest neice. She's got a small farm's worth of brush and scrub in the back of their land. Lots of green. But they have to get in a car to go to anything too.

Vacation? I had one of those once. Back in 87. Second anniversary when we enjoyed a proper honeymoon

I suppose if I had a real life, this town wouldn't be sufficient. I feel like a lot of the old people around here, just waiting to expire some day

Comment

Well we felt nothing down here in Ruidoso, but rain fell in buckets. Hope you are well.

Comment

Buddy commented on 4 funnels touched down last night.

All I got was some bland rain fall though.

Comment

Ya near destroyed Midland so I see and here what a bloody mess
                              on King st. and the trailer park looks like it does not exist anymore
                              just glad to see everyone escape with there lives.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X