Your views on Wiki leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your views on Wiki leak?

Hi guys last night I caught the back end of four corners doing a story on the director of wiki leak I didn't catch the whole story but the main feature of the story was the right to view documents from governments or military or any scandals of government or military affairs and the US government view Wiki leak as a criminal/spy organisation because it has either aquired or stole secret documents so what are your thoughts are they criminals or are they heroes telling the truth?

http://wikileaks.org/
    http://g.bf3stats.com/pc/1LP76r6C/melba_101.png

Originally posted by 150935 View Post
    Hi guys last night I caught the back end of four corners doing a story on the director of wiki leak I didn't catch the whole story but the main feature of the story was the right to view documents from governments or military or any scandals of government or military affairs and the US government view Wiki leak as a criminal/spy organisation because it has either aquired or stole secret documents so what are your thoughts are they criminals or are they heroes telling the truth?

http://wikileaks.org/
    From what I have read and understood they seem like idealistic people. Unless I am mistaken the Supreme Court in the US supports the right to anonymity at least in political discussion. Thus what they do seem both idealistic and legal. Plenty of media outlets have obtained secret documents so if that is enough to consider them illegal you might as well overturn the entire first amendment. I defintely think that wikileaks have done things that will benefit humanity.

Sensemaker
    It doesn't matter how much intelligence you have. What matters is how much intelligence you use.

If it is stupid, but works, it aint stupid.

Comment

I don't mind the website, but I think that people that post information there, if it is in fact classified, shouldn't cry when they get arrested and tried.

Comment

Originally posted by Naffenea View Post
        I don't mind the website, but I think that people that post information there, if it is in fact classified, shouldn't cry when they get arrested and tried.
        I can understand your views but both our countries are democracy owned by the people and ran by the people so should we be able to view this information or is it better to keep secrets from us?
        http://g.bf3stats.com/pc/1LP76r6C/melba_101.png

Comment

Believe it or not, there are some things that don't belong in the open. Of course if you disagree and think that nothing should be secret, you can give me your SSN, birthday, mothers maiden name, bank account and credit card numbers and their respective pins.

Comment

Originally posted by 150935 View Post
            I can understand your views but both our countries are democracy owned by the people and ran by the people so should we be able to view this information or is it better to keep secrets from us?
            Does everyone who knows you know everything about you? Or, as with most folks, do you keep secrets?

There are peoples lives on the line with most government secrets. And we have checks and balances in place. We either trust those checks and balances or we don't.
            Later - Tater
            "Why I have a greater affinity to Israel than to the Muslim world after 9/11: Watching a death-match fight on Animal Planet once, I found myself instinctively rooting for the mammal over the reptile."

Comment

I think some things should remain secret. The main function of government is to protect it's people. I think people who have volunteered to do this deserve to do it without having the entire nation looking over their shoulder waiting to pounce on ANY mistake.
              You don't like religious fundamentalists with guns? Who do you think landed at Plymouth Rock?

Comment

Now the discussion seems to be if there should be any secrets at all. I certainly think there should be. However, wikileaks haven't leaked just about everything. Just things they truly believe the public should know. My knowledge about them is limited but so far I do not think they have leaked anything completely inappropriate.

Sensemaker
                It doesn't matter how much intelligence you have. What matters is how much intelligence you use.

If it is stupid, but works, it aint stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Sensemaker View Post
                  Now the discussion seems to be if there should be any secrets at all. I certainly think there should be. However, wikileaks haven't leaked just about everything. Just things they truly believe the public should know. My knowledge about them is limited but so far I do not think they have leaked anything completely inappropriate.
                  Yeah, but why should we allow an unaccountable entity to decide what is/isn't OK to leak? I certainly don't remember getting a vote on allowing wiki-leak to have such authority over the national security of my country. Do we have to wait till a half dozen undercover agents get whacked before we decide that it isn't an OK thing to have rogue individuals making such critical and dangerous decisions?
                  Later - Tater
                  "Why I have a greater affinity to Israel than to the Muslim world after 9/11: Watching a death-match fight on Animal Planet once, I found myself instinctively rooting for the mammal over the reptile."

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                    Yeah, but why should we allow an unaccountable entity to decide what is/isn't OK to leak? I certainly don't remember getting a vote on allowing wiki-leak to have such authority over the national security of my country. Do we have to wait till a half dozen undercover agents get whacked before we decide that it isn't an OK thing to have rogue individuals making such critical and dangerous decisions?
                    +1 to the 10th.

Comment

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by daemonofdecay View Post
                        Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
                        Exactly! At least with the government there is some accountability and oversight...true, it ain't perfect and there can be abuse. However, with wiki-leak there is ZERO accountability plus there is obvious bias in what they chose to leak. It is a one sided, out of control organization...it is a disaster waiting to happen. And when (not if) that disaster comes I hope the owners/operators are rounded up and jailed.
                        Later - Tater

Comment

Exactly! At least with the government there is some accountability and oversight...true, it ain't perfect and there can be abuse. However, with wiki-leak there is ZERO accountability plus there is obvious bias in what they chose to leak. It is a one sided, out of control organization...it is a disaster waiting to happen. And when (not if) that disaster comes I hope the owners/operators are rounded up and jailed.
                          And what is your opinion of the 1st Amendment in regards to freedom of the press? If Wiki-leaks were a newspaper, would this be a non-issue for you then?

Comment

For me it's still the same. If classified information is leaked by a "whistle blower", then the leaker should man up and accept the consequences of his/her actions when found out. Freedom of Speech does not permit the unauthorized distribution of classified material. If you want to know something, then that's what the Freedom of Information Act is there for, and even then you may or may not get everything you desire.

Comment

Originally posted by daemonofdecay View Post
                              And what is your opinion of the 1st Amendment in regards to freedom of the press?
                              There is accountability with a press organization. Keep in mind such organizations are for profit concerns and if they do something damaging to national security they run the risk of having advertisers drop them...there is also civil and criminal accountability. Reporters also have over-site from managers, editors and legal staff.

IOW, there are no "absolute freedoms".

If Wiki-leaks were a newspaper, would this be a non-issue for you then?
                              The only thing that bothers me is the complete lack of accountability or over-site combined with an obvious biased world view.
                              Later - Tater

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X