No announcement yet.

If You Were A Soldier In History.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If You Were A Soldier In History.......

When, where and what type of soldier would you be?

For example:
    In the phalanxes of Alexander?
    In the legions of Ancient Rome?
    The hordes of the barbarians?
    A Prussian soldier of Frederick the Great's army?
    In the trenches of WWI?
    Flying B-17's over Germany?

Where, when and what type of soldier would you be?

Cavalry baby.

Comment

Flying a Camel in mid 1917. I'd probably only last a week but as long as I got at least one flamer and wasn't one myself it would be worth it.
      Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Originally posted by Naffenea View Post
        Cavalry baby.
        Modern day cavalry? Riding in an Abrams or in a Huey in Vietnam? Or old school horse cavalry?

Comment

Originally posted by Rojik View Post
          Flying a Camel in mid 1917. I'd probably only last a week but as long as I got at least one flamer and wasn't one myself it would be worth it.
          I think you would be just fine, I think the Sopwith Camels had an edge over what the Germans could mass produce at the time. Though I think their prototypes might have been better in some characteristics, but they didn't have them in numbers.

Would you be a dog-fighter or would you try strafing trenches and tossing grenades and such?

Comment

War has ended, on a troop ship or a plane coming home and just glad to be alive and in one piece.
            "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
            Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
            Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
              War has ended, on a troop ship or a plane coming home and just glad to be alive and in one piece.
              What war? Years of service?

Comment

Originally posted by 45Colt View Post
                Would you be a dog-fighter or would you try strafing trenches and tossing grenades and such?
                Dog fighting would be my first love but there is also something to be said for surprising a column of infantry and giving them a good 3 second burst with the twin Vickers.
                Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Originally posted by Rojik View Post
                  Dog fighting would be my first love but there is also something to be said for surprising a column of infantry and giving them a good 3 second burst with the twin Vickers.
                  That would be cool to be the pioneer of strafing tactics and infantry attacks and CAS. Create your own tactics and make the enemy infantry fear your plane overhead.

Comment

Hanging with my friend "Doc" while he was doing his thing inspecting the Geisha houses in Tokyo after WW II. It's a damn tough job, but someone has to keep our boys healthy!
                    If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

20th century horse Cavalry, best of all would be on the Pancho Villa expedition.

One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions - Admiral Grace Hopper

"The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity."
                      Wu Cheng'en Monkey

Comment

For example:
                        All that endless marching and fighting just to die like flies on the trip home from India. No thank you.

During the early empire legionaires had a pretty decent life compared to what other professional warriors had. Still, genocide as response to rebellion is a little bit more than I can stomach.

While I would probably have leaders whose courage I could respect, I don't really have the stomach for plundering, enslaving, burning, ravishing and such...

Ugh, worst option of all. Though technically not a slave I would be in a position that would make me envy most slaves: being some poor drafted or shanghaied bugger exposed to ridiculously harsh discipline to be treated like a cheap resource and die for a cause I don't understand and wouldn't care for if I did.

In the trenches of WWI?
                        Nasty but the best so far. At least I wouldn't be expected to plunder or kill or enslave civilians -just to freeze, go hungry, be bored and probably maimed or killed in an idiotic assault.

Apart from the fact that I would be fire-bombing random people, almost exclusively civilians, mostly women, elderly and children, I would have perhaps 10% chance of surviving the war. Such a survival would probably come from bailing when my plane is hit and being lucky enough to be captured by German solidiers or police -not an angered mob of civilians who want to slaughter us baby murderers.

I have never seen war up close for real and would defintely not do so if I had any honorable choice in the matter.

If I absolutely had to take part in some war it would be on the Israel side in the Israel-Arab war. Not treated like a cheap resource by my commanders, having a reasonable chance of surviving, led by officers I could respect, not having to suffer from lack of food, fighting for a cause I could plausably understand and believe in without being a religious fanatic. As soldier's experiences go, that would be a comparatively good one.

Sensemaker
                        Last edited by Sensemaker; 17 Jun 10, 05:19.
                        It doesn't matter how much intelligence you have. What matters is how much intelligence you use.

If it is stupid, but works, it aint stupid.

Comment

Face it, being a soldier in war sucks

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
                          Yeah, despite post-traumatic stress syndrome, grief over fallen camrades, ridiculously high unemployment for war vets everywhere, possibly being addicted to something as a result of the war, being called "baby-killer" and such by some spoiled college boy and when I finally do get a job being bossed around by another college boy whose dad got him five deferments I'd take this any day. Sure, it sucks, but it would suck a lot less than war. Only thing that would suck more would be to badly crippled or insane after the war -very common fates I am afraid.

Sensemaker
                          It doesn't matter how much intelligence you have. What matters is how much intelligence you use.

If it is stupid, but works, it aint stupid.

Comment

For example:
                            In the trenches of WWI?

Great selection with a high attrition rate..........My selection....Recruting office about 10,000kms behind the lines....

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
                              Hanging with my friend "Doc" while he was doing his thing inspecting the Geisha houses in Tokyo after WW II. It's a damn tough job, but someone has to keep our boys healthy!
                              Hmm inspecting the Japanese bushes at close range ..in a time soap was eaten as food ..lovely
                              ' Because it has Electrolytes ! '

regards:
                              Henk

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X