A suggestion to owners, and admins.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A suggestion to owners, and admins.

This weekend witnessed a particularly sordid Troll Invasion in the TOAW: General Discussion forum, by some rogue members of TDG. The main event took place in this thread
    http://www.warfarehq.com/forums/show...&threadid=1631
    A forum transcript detailing the planning and execution of the event can be found on a link in this thread
    http://www.warfarehq.com/forums/show...&threadid=1674

It is an unfortunate fact of life that on the web, sites are inevitably hit with these sorts of intrusions. This site has enjoyed an enviable reputation as cleanly run, well-mannered community, with very few exceptions. Further, I would like to congratulate the site owners and admins for not stepping in with the jackboots of censorship, and overmoderation, and letting the site, for the most part, successfully self-govern itself.

However, we should have a way of dealing with the occasional thread that runs overheated, or the errant trolls who break through the barricades of self-restraint. I would like to suggest another addition to the forum listings: To move such threads that no longer serve a useful purpose in their original forums and have degenerated into (or were purposely started with the intent of becoming) flamewars. We could call it the "Troll Cave" and list its description such that there is no misunderstanding to the newcomer, or casual user.

I strongly oppose wholescale censoring of threads, deletions, etc. I feel that our comments when entered into public discourse, should remain available for others to judge on their merits, or demerits. I've occasionally shot my mouth off in a fashion that I've later regretted, and it is these same visible reminders of my foolishness that remained public, for all to see, that lends the restraint to better frame my arguments, and to choose courtesy over contempt, in my dealings with other members of the sites that I choose to visit.

Deleting threads, deprives others of the history of the site and its individual members. The newcomer should have both a professional site to enjoy, as well as the means to determine where the various subcurrents flow. A Troll Cave might be the place for someone to quickly come up to speed, and avoid stepping ignorantly into the middle of something that he could otherwise avoid.

Of course, my fervent wish is that it would be scarcely populated.
    I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

JAMiAM

JAMiAM,

I respect your opinions, and while I don't support flame wars, which can ruin the intelligent discussions. Just look at Marko and me sparring with each other, I guess it's partly my fault, and I can see easily it can ruin the enjoyment of reading an intelligent article without decrying anybody.

Instead of moving the flame wars' threads, how about, letting them die out. You know, even these kinds of people had to eat, ****, and sleep just like us who don't flame anybody else. In short, we're human beings, and we tend to forget about certain things. Threads are no different from the real life, how about just ignoring them altogether, or at least, put them on the ignore list.

Honestly, I feel it is prudent to delete the entire thread that serves no purpose other than attempting to destroy a person's reputation.

Thanks,
    Dan
    Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Having been away for about one week (a little less than that actually) ----- I hit into a few posts James wrote on ACOW session, and did not get it (something about TDG or some other clubs) --- and thought it was irrelevant anyway.... and strange enough, found it here again, so I just paid one more glance and noticed the link was actually to our own forum. By clicking on it, it even surprised me more by noticing that it was actually my own post (at least, it seemed that way) provoked the next like 1000 posts (which, honestly, I did not have time to read more than 5% of them) fighting over Dan. ... I was simply overwhelmed and ....
      The point is I do not want to say who is who, or who is right or wrong... or whatever, but it certainly made me a bit sad: we are all here to be FRIENDS, but those lengthy hard tongues questioned this purpose. As james put it here, it is sort of unavoidables ---- actually I think the only inevitable thing is the difference of ideas ---- verbal assaults are perfectly avoidable. In many cases, I felt unhappy or even a bit upset by some posters, esp. some with very aggressive tones, but there is always a little simple rule that cools things down fast and well: be NICE to people. And I observed that it works in most cases, not only to myself, but more importantly, to the "opponents" as well. Because after all, the common interests in wargames bring us here, and we are friends.

(BTW, it is not all that difficult to do indeed, ---- you can easily and happily give your seat to others on a subway, why not a few nice words on an internet forum? )
      Attn to ALL my opponents:

If you sent me your turn and after 24 hours, you still did not get anything from me, please be sure to post in the forum to ask for what is going on.

Remember, I ALWAYS reply within 24 hours, even if I do NOT have time to play my turn, in which case I will at least send you email to tell you that I will have to play it later, but I DO receive your turn.

Comment

As a side note, I locked the two threads in the TOAW forum so they would fall from prominance, yet stay available as a record for the specifics of what was said and by whom (for those that care). I think it serves no purpose to keep highlighting the sad affair.

However, I did post one more relevant topic there with the express hope that we can mend fences as best as possible while at the same time holding those responsible accountable for their actions.
        Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Re: JAMiAM

Originally posted by Cheetah772
          JAMiAM,

I respect your opinions, and while I don't support flame wars, which can ruin the intelligent discussions. Just look at Marko and me sparring with each other, I guess it's partly my fault, and I can see easily it can ruin the enjoyment of reading an intelligent article without decrying anybody.

Instead of moving the flame wars' threads, how about, letting them die out. You know, even these kinds of people had to eat, ****, and sleep just like us who don't flame anybody else. In short, we're human beings, and we tend to forget about certain things. Threads are no different from the real life, how about just ignoring them altogether, or at least, put them on the ignore list.

Honestly, I feel it is prudent to delete the entire thread that serves no purpose other than attempting to destroy a person's reputation.

Thanks,
          Dan
          I agree. I must also point out that I always leave the forum smiling. I take nothing personally and i actually enjoy my heated debates - it's just supposed to be fun. I think some people just take it too personally. Have fun, write what you want and enjoy yourself.

Comment

Also I think I should point out that all this nonsense with TDG is pathetic. I was totally unaware that the TDG forum was ran by a group of middle-aged ladies - you know the type that tend to gossip and spread malicious rumours and talk about people without them being able to respond. Actually very nice to think of all those ripe ladies over there.

Please do not take offence to this post, I know some of the TDG guys and they are good blokes. But it does appear as though some people just never grew up.

Comment

Regardless of initial motivation, I thought the thread had lots of interesting and informative posts. I really would hate for there to be suddenly topics off limits especially when they directly relate to a game and the namecalling is kept at a minimum.

Comment

I'd like to second Jamiams idea. Annother large forum I frequent does the same, and it works out fairly well. The people who want to have screaming matches can tear into eachother to thier hearts content, while the rest of us are spared from having to pay any attention.
                "Lord... forgive me my actions, speech and thoughts. Because, Lord, I am seriously going to kick some unrighteous ass in Your Name, Amen."
                Princess of Wands by John Ringo (Jan 2006)

http://www.baen.com/chapters/W200601...9232.htm?blurb

Comment

Re: A suggestion to owners, and admins.

Originally posted by JAMiAM
                  We could call it the "Troll Cave" and list its description such that there is no misunderstanding to the newcomer, or casual user.
                  Sounds like a good idea.

Comment

I would also agree with such a Troll Cave section for those odd flame-war threads. It would save time for everybody not having to look at those and I guess these threads then die very rapidly - since the protagonists know they don't have a public anymore to listen to their antics.

Comment

Agreed. I often request that the flamewar threads just be deleted, because I find them to just be a nuisance and a distraction from the real reason that we are here. But the removal idea is a good one. And even I have realized that some flamewar threads are important as historical documents for the site--even the most recent epic flamwar thread in the TOAW section will have some historic value.
                      ". . . those who win every battle are not really skillful--those who render other's armies helpless without fighting are the best of all." Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

Personally, I don't think we need a troll cave sitting out there in the open for all the gossip-hounds to peruse. I prefer to lock the threads so they fall out of view, but remain in the background should anyone care enough to search for items that might be found in said threads.

My hope is that we don't have enough flame threads to necessitate said troll cave.
                        Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X