X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alamo Mexicans vs. Armchair Militia.

Hello everyone.
    How are you?
    If a bunch of us somehow rode into the Alamo armed to the teeth with our own personal weapons, and offered our services to Col. Travis, would we have made a difference?
    I would bring a .22 bolt action rife with 500 long rifle rounds, plus a steak knife.
    I can't know for sure, but if forty of us answered the call, we would probably get put on the north wall.
    I don't think we could do it.
    We'd get cut down.
    Admiral would probably stand up and attempt to rally us, but that effort would only buy time.
    This thread idea is stolen from our own member, P.V. Mann and now others too.
    Please vote in my poll, and share your ideas.

Mexicans.
    17.39%
    Armchair Militia, with Alamo defender support.
    79.71%
    End in a draw.
    2.90%
    Last edited by Slug; 22 May 10, 10:07.
    "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Short of showing up with modern automatic weapons the Mexican numbers would overwhelm the hunting rifles, shotguns and kitchen cutlery. The Mexicans could bombard the fort into powder as well.
    The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

There's at least several AR's here and even hunting rifles would far outrange the Mexican muskets and also have a higher rate of fire.

Comment

Originally posted by The Purist View Post
        Short of showing up with modern automatic weapons the Mexican numbers would overwhelm the hunting rifles, shotguns and kitchen cutlery. The Mexicans could bombard the fort into powder as well.
        I would disagree. First those cannon aren't exactly the epitome of long range, not in the modern sense. And those gunners are awfully exposed. Those hunting rifles would be picking off gun crews before they could get their cannon set up. And then, even bolt action rifles are Star Wars technology next to muskets.

An Armchair Militia armed with weapons from even 1900 would make mincemeat out of Santa Anna's forces. And I know there's more than one forum member packing semi and even fully auto gear.

It would be fun. Reminds me of the time I played Civilization II with cheat mode on and led Carthage to total victory over Rome. They were quite conciliatory after getting plastered with nukes. And I have to say that triremes don't fair well against missle cruisers.
        A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

IF we bring our stash of weapons along, everything from the night stand to the gun safe. We cannot lose. We have another plus of haveing a number of professional officers and NCO, many mil vets and combat vets. Most of the attackers would get cut down while still foruming ranks.

Slug can you arrange for this meet up? Sounds better than going to Disney for entertainment.
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Slug,

You do know there were Hispanic Texans in the Alamo? Juan Seguin left his company of volunteers to deliver a message to Houston. There were also several locals that did not like Santa Ana. These things are overlooked a bit because the Daughters of the Texas Revolution tend to concentrate more on the Anglo defenders.

As for defending the North Wall, there is much debate over how much time the defenders had to reach it before the Mexican Army was over. The outpost sentries were likely asleep when the action started. Repair work to the North Wall kept the defenders sleep deprived for a good week. The work also made it easier to climb over this wall.

Many of the men on the South and East Walls are also thought to have jumped their walls and tried to outrun the Mexican Lancers. This did not work as men can not outrun horses.

Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

If I brought my current stash, I'd bring:
              1) M1 carbine w/ 300 rounds of .30 cal & 6 15-round magazines
              2) Remington 870 w/ 10 rounds 12 ga 00 buck
              3) S&W Mod 586 .357 magnum w/200 rounds .357 mag & 100 rounds .38 sp
              4) Bowie knife

My stash wouldn't be very useful at long range.
              Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by pirateship1982 View Post
                I would disagree. First those cannon aren't exactly the epitome of long range, not in the modern sense. And those gunners are awfully exposed. Those hunting rifles would be picking off gun crews before they could get their cannon set up. And then, even bolt action rifles are Star Wars technology next to muskets.
                Hello pirate.
                Interesting.
                Would a World War Two, Japanese-style Banzai charge by Mexican infantry, cancel out the effects of the hunting rifles?
                The Mexicans had superior numbers.
                There would be significant casualties, but the defenses we would be behind are not that great.
                If we only had fourty ACG members, I would assume only a few would have those rifles you describe.

Originally posted by pirateship1982 View Post
                And I know there's more than one forum member packing semi and even fully auto gear.
                Dang.
                Is that not illegal?
                I'm cool with it, and would be grateful to have them with us, but dang.
                Remember.
                It would probably go like this.
                We get a sticky thread announcement that you have one hour to grab your stuff, and report to The Doctor's for formation.
                I think he lives near the Alamo.
                I stated that I would bring a .22 rilfe, because I have told Dolley it would be my primary weapon for home defense if I had to deal with a riot or something.
                "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

Originally posted by Slug View Post
                  Dang.
                  Is that not illegal?
                  I'm cool with it, and would be grateful to have them with us, but dang.
                  Don't remember full auto being on the list of restricted kit.
                  [Official Game Thread] "To the Berezina River" Napoleonic Game

Comment

Bring It!

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

I'd bring three firearms with me:
                      My HS Precision HTR.
                      My Armalite AR10A4 Carbine.
                      My Wilson Combat CQB.
                      I'd also bring a few nice knives but mostly for eating, whittling, and trade bait with Davey Crockett et. al. The Mexican forces would never get close enought to use them for anything else.

Most accounts I've read of the battle place total Mexican numbers at about 2,500 or less. 50 extra bodies or so armed in a similar manner as above, which shouldn't be too much of a stretch, would be more than enough to make the Alamo easily defensible. There's too much open ground they'd have to cover, too little tactical flexibility on thier part, too little available to suppress the defenders. It would be pretty ugly.

Comment

IF I lived in the States

and

IF I bought the weapons that I would like to own.

Then I would show up

with and

M14 and about 300rds

1911 and about 50 rds

a pump 12 gage and about 50 rds

and a 22. semi auto and about 200 rds.

Plus my old M1 bayonet, servial knife(nam style) and the pig sticker for the 14.

If that isn't enough then I'll go hide behind Slug.

He started this mess. He could take the remainder to Taco Bell
                        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

All I've got is my Garand and a Nagant, but I'd bring them and the ammo, once I get resupplied for shooting. I tend to just reenact now adays.
                          And it's over the mountain and over the Main,
                          Through Gibralter, to France and Spain.
                          Pit a feather tae your bonnet, and a kilt aboon your knee,
                          Enlist my bonnie laddie and come awa with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                            IF I lived in the States

and

IF I bought the weapons that I would like to own.

Then I would show up

with and

M14 and about 300rds

1911 and about 50 rds

a pump 12 gage and about 50 rds

and a 22. semi auto and about 200 rds.

Plus my old M1 bayonet, servial knife(nam style) and the pig sticker for the 14.

If that isn't enough then I'll go hide behind Slug.

He started this mess. He could take the remainder to Taco Bell
                            Speaking of Slug... He is bringing the beer... Right?

Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Well since we're going back in time through a time portal,could we bring the Nimitz back with us and park it in the Gulf of Mexico?

And some of you guys aren't bringing anywhere near enough ammo!Come on HP,just 300 rds for that M14?
                              ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X