Robert of Locksley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert of Locksley

Russel Crowe's movie is out which makes me think of the topic once again.

The real Robert of Locksley was a dirty rat of a road bandit who beat the crap out of poor peasants and sometimes killed them for their clothing and other pitiful belongings. He never robbed anybody to feed the poor; he robbed anybody who was vulnerable and defenseless.

I'm just curious how the history of this scoundrel was distorted over centuries to make him a folk hero "Robin Hood" that we know from folk ballads?
    Last edited by MonsterZero; 14 May 10, 13:51.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post

The real Robert of Locksley was a dirty rat of a road bandit who beat the crap out of poor peasants and sometimes killed them for their clothing and other pitiful belongings. He never robbed anybody to feed the poor; he robbed anybody who was vulnerable and defenseless.

I'm just curious how the history of this scoundrel was distorted over centuries to make him a folk hero "Robin Hood" that we know from folk ballads?
    Robert?

I'm rather curious as to how you came to this conclusion? Esp. when one considers that no one even knows who the real Robin Hood was.
    If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Easy, a ballad was made playing up Robin Hood, that's how it all got started. What, you think Jesse James was a nice guy?
      "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Originally posted by trailboss49 View Post
        Easy, a ballad was made playing up Robin Hood, that's how it all got started. What, you think Jesse James was a nice guy?
        There is a huge difference between Jesse James and Robin Hood. For one thing there is plenty of contempory material in regards to James whereas the closest contempory material to RH was written a hundred years after his time.

I was merely pointing out that there is no agreement as to who and what he was. Heck there is speculation that RH may have been a composition of many different men.
        If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

I always wondered if Robin Hood was somehow a corruption of Robber the Hood.

Just a methinks but I am being serious.
          Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Probably the same way that Obama went from a nobody community organizer that had never accomplished anything to President of the USA...where he still hasn't accomplished anything.

Later - Tater
            "Why I have a greater affinity to Israel than to the Muslim world after 9/11: Watching a death-match fight on Animal Planet once, I found myself instinctively rooting for the mammal over the reptile."

Comment

MMM would it be because the mixture of Kings John disagreement with land holders and Richard the Lionheart being held hostage in the middle east?
              http://g.bf3stats.com/pc/1LP76r6C/melba_101.png

Comment

Originally posted by trailboss49 View Post
                Or was Billy the kid really cared about politics?

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                  Probably the same way that Obama went from a nobody community organizer that had never accomplished anything to President of the USA...where he still hasn't accomplished anything.

Can't turn off the political rhetoric for even a minute, eh Tater?

Comment

Originally posted by 150935 View Post
                    MMM would it be because the mixture of Kings John disagreement with land holders and Richard the Lionheart being held hostage in the middle east?
                    Richard wasn't held hostage in the Middle East. He was held prisoner in Austria.

Comment

Originally posted by Legate View Post
                      Richard wasn't held hostage in the Middle East. He was held prisoner in Austria.
                      oh thank you for pointing that out for me cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post

LOL, Robin Hood = community organizer

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
                        --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

LOL, Robin Hood = community organizer
                          Yeah down at merry old hoods

Comment

For all You Americans out there

Jack frost, the Sand Man, Jack O' Lantern, Captain America, Bigfoot, The Mothman, Barak Obama, and yes Robin Hood; are all made up beings

http://www.robinhood.ltd.uk/robinhoo...orfiction.html

http://lifestyle.iloveindia.com/loun...acts-4692.html

http://www.britainexpress.com/Myths/robin-hood.htm

Paul
                            Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 16 May 10, 02:35.
                            ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                            All human ills he can subdue,
                            Or with a bauble or medal
                            Can win mans heart for you;
                            And many a blessing know to stew
                            To make a megloamaniac bright;
                            Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                            The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Robin Hood

Try to remember that we English are famous for our bad pronounciation of our own language. Therefore...

Robbing Hood = hooded bandit who preys on everyone in and around his home in Barnsdale Forest in South Yorkshire.

becomes...

Robbin' Hood = hooded bandit.

becomes...

Robin Hood = Local hero who preys on rich Norman oppressors from his home in Sherwood Forest, because Barnsdale Forest just to the north had been cut down by the late medieval times.

Thats probably as near the truth as you can get.

As to why the story evolved in this way, thats easy. The good people of Barnsley and Barnsdale didn't want a notorious bandit associated with their home towns, and so 'Robin' was altered into a hero over time...

"who having no liflode, ne sufficeante of goodes, gadered and assembled unto him many misdoers, beynge of his clothynge, and, in manere of insurrection, wente into the wodes in that countrie, like as it hadde be Robyn Hude and his meyne." Petition to Parliament 1439 of one Piers Venables.

Gaz

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X