Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it worth it to study history at university?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth it to study history at university?

I still do not know what I want to study when I make it into university. Should I do history? I plan on definitely doing physics but I really want to do a Science/Arts degree in French, Arabic(pretty unrealistic together with physics but meh) or history. To me history is a hobby but when I think about it, wouldn't I still learn the same things as I would when I do my own erudition at my local library as in university if I were to study history there? Or is history university different? I just don't know and the problem is I must decide in the near future as if I were to study physics and history I would want to undertake those studies at ADFA where the education is free and close (as I would live on campus) rather than traveling my ass for 4 hours a day to attend a civilian university for just a one hour lecture. I don't know. For those who have studied history at university your counsel pertaining to this would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
    Last edited by Kittikhun; 13 May 10, 00:57.

So, first things first. What sort of goals do you have? I'm not necessarily a believer in the idea that you have to plan out your life at this point, but at least some idea of what you want to do when university releases you into the world is probably a good thing at this point.

Beyond that, virtually every thread of study allows some electives. History can be as good a course as any for that.

Comment

Most people I know tend to go and study what they're going to do for their careers (IT, Accounting, Marketing, etc...) find work in that career and then once their career is set up go and study the stuff that interests them (english lit, history, art, etc...)

Only complaint I would have with this approach is, if you're in IT like me, you have a ton of IT related certification and part time courses you need to take as you progress through your career to keep your skill sets up to date which makes it a pain in the butt trying to find the time to take those courses that you want to study.
      -----------------------------------
      Sings we a song of wolves.
      Who smells fear and slays the coward.
      Sings we a song of man.
      Who smells gold and slays his brother

Comment

Study physics and science so you will get a good paying job that will secure you financially. Then use that money to indulge your history interest by being able to buy books, travel, take seminars, etc.

Comment

History as a secondary or minor perhaps but never your major. Missy S has the right idea imo.
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Kittikhun View Post
            I still do not know what I want to study when I make it into university. Should I do history? I plan on definitely doing physics but I really want to do a Science/A together with physics but meh) or history. To me history is a hobby but when I think about it, wouldn't I still learn the same things as I would when I do my own erudition at my local library as in university if I were to study history there? Or is history university different? I just don't know and the problem is I must decide in the near future as if I were to study physics and history I would want to undertake those studies at ADFA where the education is free and close (as I would live on campus) rather than traveling my ass for 4 hours a day to attend a civilian university for just a one hour lecture. I don't know. For those who have studied history at university your counsel pertaining to this would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
            I'm currently a history/political science major, even though I currently go to school in the US and I'm only going into my second year as a history/poli sci major, I can offer some insight.

Undergrad level history is more obviously extensively involved than history you may have encountered in secondary school. Also there is a heavy emphasis on good reading and writing which you will do alot of as a history major. Class-wise things compose of mainly lectures and seminars, and you will spend alot of time in the library or working with professors or other history students. History is a hard degree to pursue that requires you put in alot of time and effort ad to have good reading and writing skills.

If you ask yourself the question of what you can do with a history degree? Despite, the common attitude today that history degree isn't worth much, that is erroneous to say as a degree in history is excellent preparation for postgraduate study in law, further academic study, or business. A degree in history is also extremely useful in governmental, political, diplomatic, intel, and defense fields for a variety of reasons.

Btw so your thinking about applying to ADFA, good luck!

Comment

I personatly think History should be youre interest out side of youre carrier,the Jobs are not as common and much harder too recieve even after passing youre majors.

There is a lot of Uni graduates out there but had not received there jobs they are after.

Comment

To me it depends, at least to a degree, on how far you want to take your education. That being said Miss Saigon is fundamentally correct, IMHO. Now, if you have designs to complete a masters or perhaps a doctorate and have the time and money to make this a reality, history could serve you well in the field of academia. However, a bachelors in history is not much of a foot in the door to meaningful career. It's up there with anthropology in that regard. Very generic, it tells people you can complete a very common degree program, but not much else.

Comment

The only people I know of that took a degree in History were ones that went on to Law School.

Pruitt
                  Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                    The only people I know of that took a degree in History were ones that went on to Law School.

Pruitt
                    No wonder so many youngsters are so ignorant of the past happenings of this old world, because history also has to include Geography and you look at the blank expressions on the faces if you say,'And where is........'
                    'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                    " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Everyone should pursue their dreams and desires, but they should also be aware of the likely financial consequences of doing so.

History is a fascinating field, and some people make good livings in it. But the average history graduate is not going to do as well financially as the average physics graduate. As long as we realize this when making our decisions then everything is fine. However.......

You may not think this makes much difference now, but it will make a huge difference if you want to get married, have children, give those children and your wife the best you can, and then send those children off to university many years from now while you and your wife contemplate a retirement of leisure.

Sometimes it may be asking an enormous amount to want young people to be so forward thinking. However, it is likely that those who are can avoid a lot of the mistakes and more easily repeat the successes of those who went before them.

The pursuit of happiness may be an inalienable right, but it is also tempered by inalienable reality.

Comment

Take classes in what you are interested in.
                        In time, you will sort it out.
                        They have counselors in college.
                        You can take those tests that show where you're interests lie, and what you might be best suited for in a career.
                        Ahhh, to be a Liberal Arts Major.

"Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

Is history your life passion or just an interest? If you want to actually be a historian, then obviously study it in university. I think the most popular job for history majors is probably teaching history. Not a bad job IMO, but just be aware that all the other history majors are probably going after the same jobs . Bottom line, if you're only aiming at a bachelor's, stay away from history for the most part.

Now, if you merely enjoy history as a hobby, I would only take a few really interesting electives. Most history courses are only as good as the books they recommend and the reading they require from you. Also, if you're never going to publish anything on historical matters then you probably don't need experience writing history papers, which would be one of the major reasons for wanting to take a history course. Finally, do you have a good grasp of history already? If so, only the more advanced courses will probably teach you plenty of new things, so aim for the 3rd or 4th year classes if they'll let you in (sometimes they can have prereqs).

Comment

Originally posted by Demon_Llama View Post
                            Is history your life passion or just an interest? If you want to actually be a historian, then obviously study it in university. I think the most popular job for history majors is probably teaching history. Not a bad job IMO, but just be aware that all the other history majors are probably going after the same jobs . Bottom line, if you're only aiming at a bachelor's, stay away from history for the most part.

Now, if you merely enjoy history as a hobby, I would only take a few really interesting electives. Most history courses are only as good as the books they recommend and the reading they require from you. Also, if you're never going to publish anything on historical matters then you probably don't need experience writing history papers, which would be one of the major reasons for wanting to take a history course. Finally, do you have a good grasp of history already? If so, only the more advanced courses will probably teach you plenty of new things, so aim for the 3rd or 4th year classes if they'll let you in (sometimes they can have prereqs).
                            Hi DL, must explain that my contribution to this thread earlier was wrong, my thoughts in actual fact were focused on the lack of historical teaching in schools particularly if it involves a period of War, the powers that be in the teaching profession in this country seem to think that if such subjects are not taught to youngsters it will make for a better and safer life for them and I think it is a very shortsighted attitude!
                            'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                            " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions - Admiral Grace Hopper

"The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity."
                              Wu Cheng'en Monkey

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X