The Australian Flag???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Australian Flag???

I watch 60 mintues just recenatly and one story caught my eye,that story is about the changing of the Aussie flag.
    Dont think this is about the Muslims,I think is more too do with the Australain government wanting too be more indepented like the US is.
    I think that is fine cutting the ties with England but not right too change the Australain flag since so many diggers frought so hard for that flag to be flowen after a war.

Originally posted by Heidi View Post
    I watch 60 mintues just recenatly and one story caught my eye,that story is about the changing of the Aussie flag.
    Dont think this is about the Muslims,I think is more too do with the Australain government wanting too be more indepented like the US is.
    I think that is fine cutting the ties with England but not right too change the Australain flag since so many diggers frought so hard for that flag to be flowen after a war.
    Yes that is right Heidi and that reason I hope will keep it as it is!
    'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
    " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

They are independent ....

It's probably just the far left types who want to be a republic. Let me tell ya, keep the monarchy - a republic is not all it's made out to be.

Comment

I hope the Australian flag remains as it is. I sometimes regret that Canada no longer has its old flag as well:

Mind you, I have also grown attached to the maple leaf.

Comment

Not all Aussie republicans are left wing. I know some old Vets who are pro-Republic and can best be described as Libertarians. I like the present flag, and hope they keep it. Understand that not too many years back, it was the 'Red Ensign" that flew over Aussie.
          dit: Lirelou

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá ǵ!

Comment

Originally posted by lirelou View Post
            Not all Aussie republicans are left wing. I know some old Vets who are pro-Republic and can best be described as Libertarians. I like the present flag, and hope they keep it. Understand that not too many years back, it was the 'Red Ensign" that flew over Aussie.
            "From 1901 to 1954 the Red Ensign was used as a civil flag by State and local governments, private organisations and individuals. The Blue Ensign was reserved for use by the Commonwealth Government, the Australian Olympic team and the military as a saluting flag at all reviews and ceremonial parades.[1]

In 1941, Prime Minister Robert Menzies stated that there should be no restrictions on private citizens using the Blue Ensign on land and, in 1947, Prime Minister Ben Chifley reaffirmed this position but it wasn't until the passage of the Flags Act 1953 that the restriction on civilians flying the Blue Ensign was officially lifted after which use of the Red Ensign on land became a rarity."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Red_Ensign

The Australian Flag, and our constitutional monarchy, and the Queen should all stay the same. It's much better to keep what we have which has been proven to work quite well, than to attempt to change them for something that we are not certain it will work as well.
            Last edited by At ease; 09 May 10, 14:08.
            "It's like shooting rats in a barrel."
            "You'll be in a barrel if you don't watch out for the fighters!"

"Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease."
            — Sergei(son of Igor) Sikorsky, 'AOPA Pilot' magazine February 2003.

Comment

LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!

If it is good enough for the State of Hawaii, it is good enough for us!

;-)

John.
              The PLO claims ALL of Israel!!! There will and can NEVER be a "2 State solution".

Comment

It's much better to keep what we have which has been proven to work quite well, than to attempt to change them for something that we are not certain it will work as well.
                Or to attempt too change it for a few people!

I know I am very new to this Country but I have growen to love her and the the Austrlain flag, how it is.

I like it how the Australain governtment forces young men die for the nation flag (the iron cross with 7 stars) then without any respect wants too change the natons flag.

I say,if you never have frought for Australaia then you have no right or vote for a change.

I hope Australia keeps its heritage and flag but I think it will be changing,Governments love too change everything.

Comment

I want the "Boxing Kangaroo" otherwise leave the flag alone.
                  Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

"I like it how the Australain governtment forces young men die for the nation flag"

RUBBISH!!!

The Australian Army is 100% volunteer.

John.
                    The PLO claims ALL of Israel!!! There will and can NEVER be a "2 State solution".

Comment

Originally posted by ozjohn39 View Post
                      "I like it how the Australain governtment forces young men die for the nation flag"

RUBBISH!!!

The Australian Army is 100% volunteer.

John.
                      It is at present.

But there were times when conscription was in force.
                      1942-46. 1951-59. 1964-72.
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscription_in_Australia

IMO it would have been a good idea to have had all along, including today.

Comment

At ease,

Heidi's statement IS in the present tense!

John.

Comment

Originally posted by ozjohn39 View Post
                          At ease,

Heidi's statement IS in the present tense!

John.
                          John,
                          I know that you know what the situation is and has been, but I was just providing more information to help her out a bit. Discussions over the "for's and against's" relating to conscription have been very controversial aspects of Australian society a number of times. A more complete understanding of these controversies would be useful for her as she seems willing to learn about Australian history.

Comment

If left to the tourist industry the new flag would probably be a Koala bear hugging a kangaroo while they are both holding cans of Foster's.
                            "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Originally posted by At ease View Post
                              It is at present.

But there were times when conscription was in force.
                              1942-46. 1951-59. 1964-72.
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscription_in_Australia

IMO it would have been a good idea to have had all along, including today.
                              IMO, you are right. If it did nothing else it would cut down on the young thugs and Yobbo's that roam the streets all hours of the night!!
                              'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                              " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X