Dog Training Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog Training Question

Got a new dog from the humane society. A basset-bulldog mix. She's a real sweetheart, very nice around people. Only problem is, my other dog is a bit hostile with her. They behaved well during the meet and greet at the humane society but at home they have fought twice and are currently being kept seperate.

My other dog, a sheepdog-ish mutt, is the instigator. The basset won't fight unless he starts something. The crazy thing is, she's bigger than he is and if I didn't seperate the two he would have gotten his furry backside handed to him.

If I wasn't worried she might hurt him, I'd let them settle affairs in the traditional matter. Since he is the instigator I'd feel it served him right if she proves she wears the Alpha trousers. But she has such a big set of jaws, and he has a smaller head - last time I pulled them apart she literally had him in a headlock with her mouth. Thankfully she isn't violent - bulldog jaws but basset temparment - and wasn't applying much pressure. But I don't expect that to keep up.

Does anyone have any advice on how to train them to get along? Any specific techniques I should try? Or could this be a losing endeavor. They got along perfectly until they got home.

I really hate the thought of sending her back. She's such a sweet dog and it isn't her fault with my dog being the one starting the conflict.
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Man, I remember Cesar, the Dog Whisperer on TV, had an episode dealing with this exact same thing, involving two bulldogs. He explained it as stemming from the fact that your first dog feels it has authority over the new dog within the confines of your pack. Just going by memory here, what you need to do is reassert your authority over your sheep-doggish mutt and make it clear that there is only one pack leader - you - and both dogs are equally subordinate. He did this by immediately pushing the aggressor dog prone onto the ground with the submission hold - pressure point behind the neck (like where a mother dog would grab the pups in her mouth) and holding him there until he become pliant. No shouting, as this only excites the dog. This would have to be repeated ad nauseum until the dog gets the message. But, I would pick up Cesar's videos myself. I think he is great. Pretty remarkable what he does.

Comment

Yep, got to let both of them know who is boss... YOU.

Hold the aggressor down on it's back and let the other get all around (butt-sniffing and all) and eventually the aggressor will get the message.
      SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Completely agree with the above points. Show the aggressive dog, you are the only Alpha male. It will take a few times but he will get the point after a little while.

Ben
        "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Comment

Totally agree. Put her on her back and let her lay there for a few minutes. Use a firm hand, not a wimpy or overly forceful one to keep her down. Once you are done letting the new dog sniff about take your hand away and still make the dog lay there (untouched by you) until YOU are ready to let her up (I would go about a minute or two). She should get the picture. If not, repeat as soon as trouble starts again. I think your "old" dog is just letting this new dog know whose house it is, but once you let them both know it is your house it should get better in a few days. Just don't play favorites because they remember that.
          "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
          -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

Yep.

You have to make sure that both dogs know that you are the alpha.

We recently lost our 15-yr old female Shepard-mix (Andi) and our 16-yr old male Chi-Pom (Bailey). Our 6-yr old male Chi-weenie (Elliot) was very attached to both of them and got along very well with the other 5 dogs. Andi had been the alpha, Elliott took over when she passed away.

Well, after losing Bailey, we found a Skipper-Pom who reminded us of Bailey (except he's a lot bigger). We adopted the Skipper-Pom (Joey). Right off the bat, he and Elliott have been tangling. Elliott is always the instigator.

Elliot has the body of a standard Dachshund and the features and color of a Chihuahua. He is like a little tank. Joey doesn't weigh as much as Elliott; but he is bigger. Elliott growls at Joey whenever he comes near and his hackles go up. They got into one fight and Elliott got nicked up a bit.

I have been having to scold and even smack Elliott when he growls at Joey. At the same time I have to reassure Elliott that his status in the pack is unchanged.

We have been trying to walk Elliott and Joey together as much as possible. I spent a good part of yesterday playing with just the two of them. It just takes time, discipline, exercise and affection to restore order to the pack.
            Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

We were in the same situation as you were 4 years ago.
              We had to take family dog in or else,he would have been put in a dogs home.
              we allready had a male dog that hates other male dogs,there was plenty of fights,it took a lot of time but he got use to toby and all is well now.
              What help us alot,the original owners brought Toby around every third day, Pickers gradually got use too the new male dog but it did take alot of time.
              In youre case there is one thing I dont understand!
              A female dog attacking a male dog? Usally female dogs excepts male dogs,its normally when its two males dogs entering each others truf that makes conflicts,and two female dogs also can have fights but a female and a male dog,I dont understand why this has happend too you in the first place.

I made a mistake.
              I meant to say it is very wired for a male dog to attack a female dog,usally male dogs get excited and dont mind a female dog too enter his turf.
              Last edited by Heidi; 05 May 10, 04:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Heidi View Post
                Pickers gradually got use too the new male dog but it did take alot of time.
                In youre case there is one thing I dont understand!
                A female dog attacking a male dog? Usally female dogs excepts male dogs,its normally when its two males dogs entering each others truf that makes conflicts,and two female dogs also can have fights but a female and a male dog,I dont understand why this has happend too you in the first place.
                The female isn't the attacker, the male is. The female just happens to be the one that wins once provoked. She's actually very docile and sweet around him as long as he doesn't get aggressive with her. I've been trying Cesar's tips and, although it's a slow work in progress, Charlie, the male, is starting to mellow.
                A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Thats why I am shocked,male dogs only have digs at other males and not females.

I have been thinking about this and came up with this conclusion.
                  The male dog does not want too share his master (you) with another dog,Male or female.
                  You have too show him that she is part of the family now.

Comment

Originally posted by Heidi View Post
                    Thats why I am shocked,male dogs only have digs at other males and not females.

I have been thinking about this and came up with this conclusion.
                    The male dog does not want too share his master (you) with another dog,Male or female.
                    You have too show him that she is part of the family now.
                    They do get jealous. I either have to pay attention to both of them at the same time or one while the other isn't looking.

Comment

I think youve work out youre problem in why youre male dog attacks.
                      THings will get better day by day, in months time you never know they were emenies.
                      All is well.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X