Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't Talk To Aliens?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Don't Talk To Aliens?

    Like the Movie "Independence Day," the TV series "V," or the latest DVD - Blue Ray release, "Avatar," could they take control of our planet for the purpose of stealing our resources?

    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7107207.ece

    While the topic seems to belong to the Science section, there are a great deal of political concerns should our planet be visited by some ET from the stars. Likewise, how would the human race behave once we start interstellar exploration and discover a planet like Pandora in the movie Avatar, rich in valuable resources, but inhabited by intelligent beings of a simpler lifestyle.

    You only have to look back at history before yesterday to see what Europeans nations did to the New World after its discovery by Columbus. Would history be doomed to repeat itself upon discovery of that new world?
    “Breaking News,”

    “Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

  • #2
    Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
    Like the Movie "Independence Day," the TV series "V," or the latest DVD - Blue Ray release, "Avatar," could they take control of our planet for the purpose of stealing our resources?

    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7107207.ece

    While the topic seems to belong to the Science section, there are a great deal of political concerns should our planet be visited by some ET from the stars. Likewise, how would the human race behave once we start interstellar exploration and discover a planet like Pandora in the movie Avatar, rich in valuable resources, but inhabited by intelligent beings of a simpler lifestyle.

    You only have to look back at history before yesterday to see what Europeans nations did to the New World after its discovery by Columbus. Would history be doomed to repeat itself upon discovery of that new world?
    I saw the heading and thought this referred to the new law in Arizona

    Comment


    • #3
      By the time we see the alien warships, we'd all already be dead. We cannot possibly resist a species advanced enough to be interstellar conquerers in our current state, so we might as well just put bags over our heads and wait to die.

      As for us meeting less advanced species, I say we use them as zoo attractions and as free labor after destroying their culture, which would be far too differing from any of ours to be of much use.
      Standing here, I realize you were just like me trying to make history.
      But who's to judge the right from wrong.
      When our guard is down I think we'll both agree.
      That violence breeds violence.
      But in the end it has to be this way.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
        Like the Movie "Independence Day," the TV series "V," or the latest DVD - Blue Ray release, "Avatar," could they take control of our planet for the purpose of stealing our resources?

        http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7107207.ece

        While the topic seems to belong to the Science section, there are a great deal of political concerns should our planet be visited by some ET from the stars. Likewise, how would the human race behave once we start interstellar exploration and discover a planet like Pandora in the movie Avatar, rich in valuable resources, but inhabited by intelligent beings of a simpler lifestyle.

        You only have to look back at history before yesterday to see what Europeans nations did to the New World after its discovery by Columbus. Would history be doomed to repeat itself upon discovery of that new world?
        More than likely. Our Species isn't very enlightened when it comes to things we don't understand.
        BoRG
        "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

        Comment


        • #5
          BIG drawback to interstellar travel. The old "speed of light" barrier.

          An alternative is to put together a large "hive ship" (often used in SciFi writings), but the necessary materials to build one....... AND ferry them out to orbit...... AND assemble.... prohibitive!

          Even at that, once you make this grand investment and send it on it's multi generational journey, there is no guarantee that there will be anything worthwhile on the other end. (Like a habitable planet?)

          I'm pretty much of the opinion that we are "stuck with" what we have. (Not to mention the dominant "Intelligent" life forms indiginous to the third rock from Sol.)

          From a purely philosophical view, perhaps the Gods designed it that way.... so their little "experiments" would not corrupt one another.

          To many questions, so few real answers.

          GG
          "The will of a section rooted in self interest, should not outweigh the vital interests of a whole people." -Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain-

          "Fanatics of any sort are dangerous." -GG-

          Comment


          • #6
            There is a way to cheat around the light-speed barrier. Space itself can expand faster than the speed of light. The idea is to use a warp drive to ride a wave of distended space to get there faster than a beam of light would. One can listen for signals that must be from intelligent life to find habitable planets, then follow that signal to it's source and deal with the natives before claiming their planet. It could be why we don't hear many signals, a species only has so long to transmit before an Warp drive capable species tracks it's SETI signals and ends their civilization and independence.
            Standing here, I realize you were just like me trying to make history.
            But who's to judge the right from wrong.
            When our guard is down I think we'll both agree.
            That violence breeds violence.
            But in the end it has to be this way.

            Comment


            • #7
              Stephen Hawking, far smarter than the majority f human beings on this planet, thinks they would treat us the same way we treated the Aztecs, the Incas, the Indians and all of the other lesser developed peoples we have encountered throughout our history.

              I think he's right.
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Stephen Hawking, far smarter than the majority f human beings on this planet, thinks they would treat us the same way we treated the Aztecs, the Incas, the Indians and all of the other lesser developed peoples we have encountered throughout our history.

                I think he's right.
                Well if nature is consistent across the universe and we have no reason to think otherwise, physics certainly seems to be then he's probably right. Sending out hellos into the universe could be the biggest mistake in human history in that it destroys us. There could be a very good reason for the distances from star system to star system being so vast.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Arthwys View Post
                  More than likely. Our Species isn't very enlightened when it comes to things we don't understand.
                  Niven and Pournelle's "Footfall" was written on the premise that assuming other species would be any more "enlightened", especially regarding a different species, is based on absolutely nothing.
                  "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
                  George Mason
                  Co-author of the Second Amendment
                  during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Czin View Post
                    There is a way to cheat around the light-speed barrier. Space itself can expand faster than the speed of light. The idea is to use a warp drive to ride a wave of distended space to get there faster than a beam of light would. One can listen for signals that must be from intelligent life to find habitable planets, then follow that signal to it's source and deal with the natives before claiming their planet. It could be why we don't hear many signals, a species only has so long to transmit before an Warp drive capable species tracks it's SETI signals and ends their civilization and independence.
                    The problem is that there is no science to prove that matter and especially a living organism could survive the phenomena invoved in such a "warp".
                    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
                    George Mason
                    Co-author of the Second Amendment
                    during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      Stephen Hawking, far smarter than the majority f human beings on this planet, thinks they would treat us the same way we treated the Aztecs, the Incas, the Indians and all of the other lesser developed peoples we have encountered throughout our history.

                      I think he's right.
                      Agreed, when they ride our SETI signals to the source, we'll know who to blame when we're locked up in cages for the Alien's children to throw space peanuts at us.
                      Standing here, I realize you were just like me trying to make history.
                      But who's to judge the right from wrong.
                      When our guard is down I think we'll both agree.
                      That violence breeds violence.
                      But in the end it has to be this way.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Czin View Post
                        There is a way to cheat around the light-speed barrier. Space itself can expand faster than the speed of light. The idea is to use a warp drive to ride a wave of distended space to get there faster than a beam of light would. One can listen for signals that must be from intelligent life to find habitable planets, then follow that signal to it's source and deal with the natives before claiming their planet. It could be why we don't hear many signals, a species only has so long to transmit before an Warp drive capable species tracks it's SETI signals and ends their civilization and independence.
                        Nice hypothesis! But ONLY that and nothing more.

                        The fun part is that SciFi writers can "invent" any number of ways to "beat the light barrier".... it IS more convenient to most SciFi stories.

                        Note that Mathematicians and Physics Theorists can, by making certain "assumptions" in their math, come up with hypothesis like you mention.

                        However, a hypothesis is the scientific name for a "what if"? It only becomes a theory once there is enough observable data to confirm the hypothesis as fact or, at least, probable. (Through repeated experiment.) In the case of faster than light travel.... no data yet. All conjecture/hypothesis.

                        GG
                        "The will of a section rooted in self interest, should not outweigh the vital interests of a whole people." -Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain-

                        "Fanatics of any sort are dangerous." -GG-

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          We need E.T!
                          Sincerely,

                          xllhawksllx

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            On the bright side I have seen a theory that postulates that for any race to get the technology to be able to travel interstellar distances they would have to be as aggressive and warlike as us (necessity being the mother of invention and war being the greatest stressor of necessity around), and that would mean that they would - more than likely - have destroyed themselves long before they reached for the stars.

                            Then again that means that we have no hope and will do the same if the theory holds water.

                            Hmmm.

                            So the choice it to believe that we will get taken over by a superior race (if the theory is wrong and Hawkings is right) or be reduced to a pile of ash (if it isn't).

                            I, for one, welcome our alien overlords.
                            Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

                            That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I think he gives prudent advice, but if aliens wanted to exploit resources, wouldn't it be logical for them to go to uninhabited planets, moons, or asteroids?
                              Also, if they had the technology or lifespan for such travel, they could "terraform" nearby locations. Also, why take a risk on a "living" world with unknown organisms?

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X