Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Target

I hate moving!!!!

Just finished 2 weeks cleaning my Dad's estate to get it ready for the market and moving back to my old house that has been rented out since 1995.

Obviously, I wasn't keeping close enough tabs on the renter.

Front door jamb destroyed by her druggie son...
    Phone lines disconnected inside basement ceiling...
    Holes punched in walls...
    Gang tags all over the basement walls...
    Every interior door trashed...
    Broken windows...

AND enough trash and cat reeking furniture it will take a 5-ton dump to move it all!!!

To top it all off, I fell and bashed my tailbone on the basement stairs yesterday. Kinda hard to sit or bend today.

Well, that's what lawyers are for, I guess, though what little I can recover from that b...lady will be no satisfaction.

Did I mention that I hate moving????
    All questions are valid, all answers are tentative.

Sounds more like a problem renting than moving. Yep, better make renters put down such a hefty security deposit it'd make a down payment on a house. Reason I never wanted to be a landlord.

Yeh, moved a few times in my life, it's a pain in the rear, even when all you own can be stuck in a couple of duffle bags.
    "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Juste recentatly on current affair program alot of landlords had so muche trouble withe renters,renters don't give a darn about youre property.
      They seeme to squat in youre house without paying rent money and when ask too leave ,they wont leave and what makes it worst,the law seemes to be on the renters side,when th law final gets them out,youre house ist a trash (like what happend to you)
      the best thing to do ist that rent it out to youre family members or really goode family friends,if they ask too rent it out too there friends,say NO!

Comment

Originally posted by Heidi View Post
        Juste recentatly on current affair program alot of landlords had so muche trouble withe renters,renters don't give a darn about youre property.
        They seeme to squat in youre house without paying rent money and when ask too leave ,they wont leave and what makes it worst,the law seemes to be on the renters side,when th law final gets them out,youre house ist a trash (like what happend to you)
        the best thing to do ist that rent it out to youre family members or really goode family friends,if they ask too rent it out too there friends,say NO!
        When renting, always, ALWAYS include the water bill as part of the rent and keep it in your name. If they stop paying the rent, cut of the water...they won't be there long without any running water.
        Later - Tater
        "Why I have a greater affinity to Israel than to the Muslim world after 9/11: Watching a death-match fight on Animal Planet once, I found myself instinctively rooting for the mammal over the reptile."

Comment

I work for a Housing Provider and spend far too much of my time organising to fix these things. Another person spends more time in courts getting evictions than behind a desk.

I like helping people but some are scum that seem to be backed by the courts no matter how far behind in rent or what the damage.

The system here is broken in a big way.
          Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

yeah the law stinkes in this country,i dont knowe about the lawes in the US is but maybe the OP can do better in the US in this situation thane down here in Austrlaia,its sad when someone loans there house and rents it out thane it gets trusched,makes a bad name fore good renters that do care.

Comment

You know why the law seems to be on that type of renters side don't you Heidi, the police do not want them out on the streets, because when that happens they are the responsibility of the police and the police want to avoid THAT if they can! They would rather have them inside your house trashing it!!!
              'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
              " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

No i did not knowe that icm1,but it does kinde of made sence though,keepe the streets clean but it a shame that people like Kentek/ken have too suffer.

Comment

The really worse thing?? You can't even trust family to be good renters. My dad rented our house while we were still in the USAF. Came home and the house was still a mess.
                  Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Yup! you can't trust anyone these days, someone asked if I was
                    going to rent my place while I am away with my daughter setting
                    her up in school and staying awhile back in my old home town
                    where she is going to college. I told them no and it was my family
                    that asked me.

Comment

I guess I'm just a slow learner.

When I had just started high school in 1965, my Dad moved in with my grandparents to care for them and rented out his home. When he moved back in 1976 after they had both passed away, he returned to a trash heap that took him years to rebuild into a nice place.

My turn to care for my Dad came in 1995 and my first renter was my stepson. He was a good handyman and a workaholic, so he cared for my house and even improved it. The horror started when he re-married and moved to his new wife's home. I rented to my new daughter-in-law's best friend and felt pretty comfortable until her kids hit their teens. And therein lies the tale.

Comment

So, how many holes in the wall, doors trashed, carpets replaced and linoleum burns did you count?
                        "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Originally posted by trailboss49 View Post
                          So, how many holes in the wall, doors trashed, carpets replaced and linoleum burns did you count?
                          1) I stopped at 20 and went to lie down.
                          2) 4 interior and 2 exterior, plus a garage door, and 2 shed doors.
                          3) Floors are mostly hardwood, just nicked and spattered.
                          4) The tiles in the kitchen and bathroom are shot. And the bath needs a complete remodel.

I think I'll go lie down now....

Comment

Have a beer...or two.

Comment

or three...

Was there not enough time to check on the state of your property at intervals? I try to make it a point to check out my rental property at least every three months by calling my tenants, making an appointment to tour the premises and make notes of what has been improved/or not...
                              ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                              IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X