Want to Build a Monster Gaming PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to Build a Monster Gaming PC

I'm starting with education, saving links to how-to websites and also ordering a how-to DVD from Amazon because I need to overcome my ignorance first. I'm intimidated by the number of components out there and also the compatibility issues which, if not resolved, can actually damage the system. Every single component, including motherboard and case and cooling and overclocking what not will be hand-picked and ordered individually.

There are some smart kids out there putting together gaming crates that could send a Cray supercomputer into the orbit.

Any and all feedback that can help me is appreciated.
    Last edited by MonsterZero; 24 Apr 10, 13:26.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

I built my own PC last year, first attempt and nothing has went wrong so far, fingers crossed.

It was a lot easier than I thought it would be and I know that it has quality parts inside and I avoid all of the crap software that comes with pre-built computers.

I have a few recommendations:

Get an Antec 300 case. It's roomy and comes with 2 fans and has 3 mountings for extra ones so it's good for airflow. There are two mountings on the front of it to suck in air and create airflow, so make sure you fit fans there and it will allow you to put the two installed fans to low so it doesn't sound like being in a C-47. There is one at the side to give extra air to the GPU but most say not to bother with it.

For the CPU look at getting at least a Core i5 if you want to go intel. I have a Core i7; works great.

I have a good quality (IIRC) 550w PSU. You shouldn't need more than 550w. Make sure you get a good quality PSU.

Don't bother overclocking. There's no real point to it and if done wrongly can seriously shorten the life of your expensive computer.

Get an anti-static wrist strap and mat to build it on. You don't want 1000 bucks to go down the drain because static electricity ruined your components.

I used a book and the manuals that came with the components to build it. I would also join a few forums such as Tom's Hardware and buildyourown.org.uk for advice on selecting parts and for help building it. That way you can get a good range of advice, report to x forum and repeat what was said in y forum to get their thoughts.

This was the book I used (albeit an older edition):

http://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Com...2143544&sr=8-6
    Last edited by Mackie; 24 Apr 10, 16:18.

Comment

Very good suggestions Mackie, thanks for your time.

The reason I'm a bit cautious with books is because by the time they go into print the hardware scene changes.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
      --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

I used it for the actual building rather than for hardware advice.

You are right about hardware, in particular graphics, moving fast so it's better to rely on websites and forums for advice on those.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X