Opinions wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions wanted

I can think of few better places to ask others opinion than at ACG.

Question.

When is the best time to trade in a car on a new one. My present car is and 08 and we were thinking to wait until 12 models come out. Should we trade earlier or later?
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Having worked at new car dealerships for several years I can tell you without a doubt!!
    New cars generaly come out in October. The month prior to them coming out the dealer wants very much to get rid of his existing stock. Also there are considerable incentives (From the manufacturer to the dealer) to do so. The dealer is more than willing to get rid of the cars at his cost, or less, thus allowing the incentive to be his profit.
    Hope that's of some help, Half.
    John
    The most visable part of a persons education is their parents example !

Christianity is made far too complicated by far too many denominations.
    It's truly a simple concept.
    Dont take my word for it---Read the Book of Romans!

Comment

So your saying trade just before the new year models come out and buy the "older" model. Got that.

Now about the age of the trade in? When is it best to trade in?

Comment

I can't help much. I do try and buy my new ones when models change.

Purchasing plans here are a mixed bag. I don't like to keep a car for the child bride more than 4 years for her and my peace of mind.

I drive what I run until the wheels fall off.

Currently she has an '07 Outback, I drive a '99 S-10 Blazer daily with my '04 Ram in a reserve capacity........after the Blazer dies. The Ram was my first new one in 35 years. It moved back after the wife left the Blazer for the Subaru.

Blazer was older, but mileage was very low for its age.

Regards,
        Dennis
        If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Originally posted by LeanotLee View Post
          Having worked at new car dealerships for several years I can tell you without a doubt!!
          New cars generaly come out in October. The month prior to them coming out the dealer wants very much to get rid of his existing stock. Also there are considerable incentives (From the manufacturer to the dealer) to do so. The dealer is more than willing to get rid of the cars at his cost, or less, thus allowing the incentive to be his profit.
          Hope that's of some help, Half.
          John
          John,
          What about the weeks following the release of the new MY? Wouldn't the dealers be even more as anxious to get rid of the older cars?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
            So your saying trade just before the new year models come out and buy the "older" model. Got that.

Now about the age of the trade in? When is it best to trade in?
            Actualy Half, these days year model is not nearly as important as it use to be. Because there is so little differance in the physical apearance of cars from year to year now, what's really important is CONDITION. If your car is pretty sharp, maybe garage kept, and shows thhat you really cared about it--you got a high dollar trade-in. On the other hand if it "Aint all that sharp" you're (here's the bad news) gonna pretty much give it away.
            There's a lot more info I could share with you but---well, I could pretty much write a book.
            John

Comment

Actualy Half, these days year model is not nearly as important as it use to be. Because there is so little differance in the physical apearance of cars from year to year now, what's really important is CONDITION. If your car is pretty sharp, maybe garage kept, and shows thhat you really cared about it--you got a high dollar trade-in. On the other hand if it "Aint all that sharp" you're (here's the bad news) gonna pretty much give it away.
              There's a lot more info I could share with you but---well, I could pretty much write a book.
              John

garaged, babied and all maintaince done by the dealer that I would trade it in and buy new from.

Thanks for your input.

Oh, I like reading books.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ibis View Post
                John,
                What about the weeks following the release of the new MY? Wouldn't the dealers be even more as anxious to get rid of the older cars?

Thanks
                Not really, Ibis. The incentive they got from the manufacturer is going to be their only profit for 90 days after "Show-day".
                If you want a REALLY good deal, wait until January when they get another incentive On "left-overs" that's "A BIGGEE". Then to get the primo deal, buy straight out---no trade-in. I've seen new cars (left-overs) sell for half of what you would have had to pay 6 months earlier.
                John

Comment

Not really, Ibis. The incentive they got from the manufacturer is going to be their only profit for 90 days after "Show-day".
                  If you want a REALLY good deal, wait until January when they get another incentive On "left-overs" that's "A BIGGEE". Then to get the primo deal, buy straight out---no trade-in. I've seen new cars (left-overs) sell for half of what you would have had to pay 6 months earlier.
                  John
                  Your speaking of the American market of course. I wonder if the same applies to the German market?

Comment

John
                    Very interesting. Thanks.

Comment

I like to buy the new model when models change. You may not get any discount but the car will look newer for longer and the residuals will be better. I tend to keep my cars a long time - six years or more. I bought the wife a new Golf when the mkVI came out last year and we don't plan to replace it until the mkVII comes out.
                      Currently I am waiting till the new BMW 3 comes out in 2012 before I replace my current car.
                      "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                        Your speaking of the American market of course. I wonder if the same applies to the German market?
                        Afraid I cant speak for the foreign market.
                        I worked 5 yrs. at a GM dealer and 7 years at a Ford dealer. But I'd bet there's very little differance in domestic and foreign!
                        They all have the same purpose.
                        John

Comment

Afraid I cant speak for the foreign market.
                          I worked 5 yrs. at a GM dealer and 7 years at a Ford dealer. But I'd bet there's very little differance in domestic and foreign!
                          They all have the same purpose.
                          John
                          I have a very small dealer. Never more than 10 - 20 veicles in stock at the very most. The tactic might work with him as well but it is a wait and see at this time. As of now I'm not planning on buying for at least two years.

Great first name you have. Speaks of real class.

Comment

I've been in the business for about as long as LeanotLee,and he pretty much has summed it up.

I would like to add,however that going with a new model car in it's first year isn't always the best idea.Usually by the second year,potential problems would have been ironed out.That's not always true though,but it is something to consider.

You should also keep your eyes out for major sales events that include things like 0% financing,cash back,employee pricing,etc.
                            ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
                              I've been in the business for about as long as LeanotLee,and he pretty much has summed it up.

I would like to add,however that going with a new model car in it's first year isn't always the best idea.Usually by the second year,potential problems would have been ironed out.That's not always true though,but it is something to consider.

You should also keep your eyes out for major sales events that include things like 0% financing,cash back,employee pricing,etc.

I got the finacing part down. I bought the present car at 0,75 %. The car is only new on the outside. Drive train etc is only some small improvements on older models. The car that we are looking at for the next buy is however new this year. Not touching it yet. Like you say wait till the bugs are worked out.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Berlin.1945
                                by casanova
                                The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                                Yesterday, 23:41
                              • casanova
                                AW 169M
                                by casanova
                                The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                                Yesterday, 23:26
                              • JBark
                                What changed?
                                by JBark
                                There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                                Yesterday, 18:54
                              Working...
                              X