Defying authority

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defying authority

I've been pondering on the fact of authority.
    From the moment that we are born, we are thought to listen to authority. First to the authority of our parents, then to our teachers, then to our bosses and society...
    This is the way we are formed to be: to be submissive to various people and to society. It is poured into us, it is what we are -at least what we are supposed to be.

Now I've been thinking of this guy:

This "great" man has decided to defy authority, he is willing to give his life for a cause, for something that he feels is not right. And he's not the only one in our history - many have done this in the past.
    Yet there are more on the other side: those that submissive to authority, to rules, to a hierarchy, to the media...
    I'm also sure that among us, there are those that would be more submissive to authority then others, some would follow orders no matter what others would rebel more easier...what determines this? The way were were raised? what we have to lose or gain in our life?
    Look how difficult it sometimes to say "no" when we are asked to do something that we don't agree with in our jobs or to friends even...

In our "highly civilized society", we tend to look down on people that rebel, they are different, they are outcasts they do not follow the path...but how much of this is true.

When is someone a rebel? When can we defy authority? When is it acceptable to go astray from the path, dictated to us by society?

Greets,
    Stratego
    Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Originally posted by Stratego View Post
    When is someone a rebel? When can we defy authority? When is it acceptable to go astray from the path, dictated to us by society?
    When you win. Otherwise, you're a terrorist.

Comment

When what you believe in outweighs what you are told.

Comment

Originally posted by DingBat View Post
        Rebels are not automatically "terrorists".

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Rebels are not automatically "terrorists".
          Except when they lose.

I suspect that George III might have thought that the word "terrorist" was a good fit for Ben Franklin and company.

Comment

I hate all authority.
            Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by Stratego View Post
              In our "highly civilized society", we tend to look down on people that rebel, they are different, they are outcasts they do not follow the path...but how much of this is true.
              Do you think this is really true? The US, more than any place on the planet, romanticizes the rebel. If you don't believe me, go out and pick virtually any movie in a Blockbuster at random.

I think that might actually be a more accurate statement for the US:

---
              In our "highly civilized" society, we tend to look down on people that conform, they are cowards, they are "sheeple" who are willing to follow the crowd. But how much of that is true?
              ---

Now, the really interesting thing about rebels is this: if they seriously want change, they need to convince other people of the rightness of their cause. Essentially, they must cast off the "loner" part of the rebel persona. A lot of so-called rebels have a hard time doing that because the "loner" part is what really attracts them to the role in the first place. They don't want to be "part of the crowd".

Comment

There's 'defying authority' and then there's "defying authority".

Though I certainly did not agree with them during the Vietnam era those who protested the war calmly and peacefully were 'defying authority' yet caused no personal harm. Those who blew up buildings, robbed banks to finance their causes, participated in mass rioting and destruction were also "defying authority" but I had absolutely nothing but disgust for.

If you are willing to participate in civil disobedience knowing full well what the punishment is likely to be and do not harm people or property I can respect you.

Those who fled to Canada as deserters were/are cowards & I'm glad they're up there. Those who were against the war because they didn't personally want to be drafted were nothing to look up to.
                "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

There is also a trend in the US to classify people as 'rebels' who, in reality, are only acting in their own self interest. There is an entire genre of writers and lecturers devoted to what "'they' don't want you to know," the real point of which is to sell more books and collect speaking fees under the mantle of rebellion against some perceived authority.

Then there is a partisan effect with the most strident supports of the opposition proclaiming the evils of the powers-that-be "inside the Beltway". This lasts only until the opposition makes sufficient electoral gains to become the powers-that-be.

Third, there is the glorification of youth culture in the US. As noted above, the entertainment industry has romaticized 'the young rebel' into a near mythic figure. According to Hollywood, all parents are clueless, teachers incompetent, the government/military sinister, and anyone working for a corporation is evil incarnate. The fact that people under 30 buy the majority of movie tickets probably has a good deal of influence on this depiction.
                  Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Dunno if other countries have it, but in Finland we have a thing called "herraviha", which is basicly the disdain of elite...they are simply loathed and hated.
                    Wisdom is personal

Comment

Reminds me of the movie 1776.

"Treason is a charge invented by winners as an excuse to hang the losers."

Do you think this is really true? The US, more than any place on the planet, romanticizes the rebel. If you don't believe me, go out and pick virtually any movie in a Blockbuster at random.
                      Back in the '30s and '40s my family's relationship to Charles "Pretty Boy" Floyd was not discussed. He was a black sheep. Now it's a point of pride. How times change.
                      Last edited by Pirateship1982; 14 Apr 10, 10:32.
                      A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by Karri View Post
                        I hate all authority.
                        Spoken like a mindless one and guided by the desire to be totally self centered.
                        'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                        " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Here in my local high school, I see all kinds of 'rebels'. These are the kids who pierce and tattoo themselves, wear clothes that leave us faculty wondering where their parents are, say and do things to call attention to themselves, and generally 'push the envelope'. They think that they are being 'rebels' but they are merely exercising their god-given right as teenagers to make themselves look as ridiculous as possible. We call these types "rebels without a clue"...
                          ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                          IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
                            Spoken like a mindless one and guided by the desire to be totally self centered.
                            Hey, it's all about me.

Comment

Hey Dingbat...are you one of my period 5 students?
                              ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                              IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X