Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sorry for the lengthy and unexplained absence.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry for the lengthy and unexplained absence.

Due to an electrical fire in our house we lost all appliances from a power surge and have spent the last few months going at it with our homeowners insurance and electric company over who is responsible for covering and reimbursing for all the damage. Well, it has finally been sorted out and now that at least the wiring has been replaced and I finally have PC and steady internet access I am hoping to be able to get back here on a regular basis soon.
    [Official Game Thread] "To the Berezina River" Napoleonic Game

Well, just don't let it happen again

Comment

Originally posted by Miss Saigon View Post
      Well, just don't let it happen again
      Funny things is (well not funny really) is this is the 2nd time it happened in just over a year. The first time it only fried a few things and they replaced the components on the pole outside. Electricians did check the outlets and wiring and said it all appeared to be OK (as far as they could tell without pulling all the wiring and physically checking). That time the insurance company paid claims on the few things we lost and we were back up in a few days.

This time it was like a power surge on steroids. Fire was shooting out of the outlets, light bulbs exploding (thankfully not those environmentally safe one with the mercury vapor in them), even the casing on my backup power supply started to melt. At some point during all of this the telephone pole outside caught on fire (neighbors said it looked like there was a giant match lit in our back yard).
      [Official Game Thread] "To the Berezina River" Napoleonic Game

Comment

Originally posted by Double Deuce View Post
        Due to an electrical fire in our house we lost all appliances from a power surge and have spent the last few months going at it with our homeowners insurance and electric company over who is responsible for covering and reimbursing for all the damage. Well, it has finally been sorted out and now that at least the wiring has been replaced and I finally have PC and steady internet access I am hoping to be able to get back here on a regular basis soon.
        Welcome back and I am just glad you and ur family weren't hurt...You were missed...welcome home
        "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
        "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

Welcome back. Glad everyone is okay.

A similar thing happened in my store about 10 years ago. Electrical engineer said 2 110s bridged and 220 shot through all the system. Everything that was pluged in was fried.
          Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Double Deuce View Post
            Glad no one was hurt.

Just one question, don't they have fuses in the US?

How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
            Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
              Glad no one was hurt.

Just one question, don't they have fuses in the US?

That is what circuit breaker were meant to do, but it did nothing for me is my case. The breakers did not trip, and that glass fuse you showed did nothing for my cash register and credit card machine.
              Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Glad that wasn't me is about all I can say. It had to be caused by Global Warming.

Yeah, few things worse than arguing with insurance companies and utility companies.
                "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

A breaker isn't going to protect against a voltage surge.They trip when the amperage exceeds the amount specified for that breaker.
                  ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

I'm just glad to hear everything's okay, you had us worried...

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
                      A breaker isn't going to protect against a voltage surge.They trip when the amperage exceeds the amount specified for that breaker.

The average lightning strike contains 20,000 amps. An arc welder uses 250- 400 amps to weld steel. Your house probably uses only 200 amps. Current in excess of 20 milli amps can cause your chest muscles to contract, stopping breathing

http://www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_info/media.html

Should be enough to get the job done.

"Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Good to know that you and yours made it through unscratched DD...
                        That no bodily harm has occured is the most important

Welcome back!

Greets,
                        Stratego
                        Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Comment

Glad you're okay.

We've had a couple of surges so I now put anything expensive on a UPS or a good quality surge suppressor. We've lost of couple of battery back up UPS boxes in the last couple of years but all of the important gear was protected.
                          Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X