Who is tougher?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is tougher?

Navy Seal or a Marine? I choose Navy Seal!
    De nihilo nihil. - Persius

Nemo solus satis sapit. - Plautus

Apples and Oranges

How do you compare a branch of US Military to the Special Forces within another branch of US Military?

You could say "Who is tougher US Marine Corps or US Navy?"

You might even say "Who is tougher MARSOC or Navy Seals?"

But even then I doubt anyone is going to engage you in meaningful conversation about this subject.

Ben
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Comment

We've got a short little proverb in Sweden.
      I'm not even gonna say it because it's so lame.
      But don't cross the road, if you cannot get out of the kitchen.

Wait. That one's from Boondock saints.
      It'd be more fair if you compared a Force Recon operative with a Navy SEAL...
      But still, they have widely different tasks.
      I'd put my money on the Force Recon guy any day if you, say, pitted two snipers against one another.

Even our (swedish) conscript Jaegers kicks the **** out of SEALs.
      Not to mention SSG commandos. Very few, but better than anything.
      SEALs are just blown out of proportion by the media.
      Sure, good fighters, but not all that exceptional.
      Certainly no 450-IQ-otherworldly-super-ninja-assassins-from-hell.
      Jocks with guns and training. Mortal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Furthermore, I think Carthage must be destroyed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Hey, they are both Department of the Navy.

SEALs certainly go through the toughest training of any military units anywhere in the world. They also do very lengthy and quite excellent caliber training when they're not on missions.

It really depends more upon what mission you want done. The SEALs demonstrated they are quite human by getting several killed in invading Panama, but then that is not the kind of mission they are trained for, should have been Rangers on that particular set up.

So, all the Special Ops tend to be in very good physical condition, most above average in intelligence, not all are trained on what the others are and experience does count.
        "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Originally posted by trailboss49 View Post
          SEALs certainly go through the toughest training of any military units anywhere in the world.
          You sure about that?
          Wisdom is personal

Comment

The whole point of comparing military unit is futile in my eyes, same with all the other d*** measuring contests.

In any case, the general feeling I get is that the SEALS don't deliver as much as they are hoped to, certain sources downright degrade them.

Comment

It depends on your definiton of tougher. Pound for pound I think I'd take a Recon Marine over a SEAL just about any day. But for specific missions the SEALS may be better. And as to who has the toughest training BUD/S is damn tough but I wouldn't sell the training SAS, Spetsnaz or even US Army Rangers short either.
              "The first time those bastards encounter US Marines, I want it to be the most traumatic experience of their miserable lives."
              -Gen. James Mattis, USMC

Psalms 144.1

Comment

Originally posted by Karri View Post
                You sure about that?
                Positive. Recommend you read the book "Sole Survivor". Really good book about the sole survivor of a team in Afghanistan and his leader who won the Medal of Honor. He tells about his SEALS School training and I have talked to other SEALs & it is quite accurate. I've also talked to many Rangers, Special Forces & Deltas & Marine Recon. I take pride in all of them but as far as actually going through the training "Hell Week" beats the others out bar none.
                "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Positive. Recommend you read the book "Sole Survivor". Really good book about the sole survivor of a team in Afghanistan and his leader who won the Medal of Honor. He tells about his SEALS School training and I have talked to other SEALs & it is quite accurate. I've also talked to many Rangers, Special Forces & Deltas & Marine Recon. I take pride in all of them but as far as actually going through the training "Hell Week" beats the others out bar none.
                  Rangers, Special Forces & Deltas & Marine Recon is still far from "anywhere in the world".
                  Wisdom is personal

Comment

Dont you yank fellows also have dolphins as well as seals? Or am I getting confused with the Miami Dolphins? Are they tougher than the seals then? I did hear a US dolphin went awol in Iraq on mine clearance duties 2 years ago, around Al Faw....Cant say I blame em much...Better question....One that will prove toughest...which ones go awol most....Dolphins, sorry, seals or navy..

We brits dont have seals, we have penugins mostly in Falklands but lets not upset any other southern Americans here and keep it to seals and navy, and maybe miami dolphins...Although we do have some dangerous creatures in old blighty england....Have you ever been attacked by a bear in America....we have similar, but its not the same beng mugged by a squirrel....Well I go for the seals, it must be pretty tough having fish for rations, day in day out. Then again, who makes the biggest bang...who can dissasemble an m16 underwater with their eyes shut..But maybe a seal couldnt get the Eishenhower up the panama canal blindfolded...Maybe Im wrong...but a dolphin could probably do both....Im edging my bets on the squirrels...They have nuts.

Comment

I thought we were talking about "tough" here. Let's get real:

"Superman owns a pair of Chuck Norris pajamas."

Comment

I'd be careful with superlatives. Sure the training a special force goes through may be utterly grueling but to qualify for "toughest", no other force may use an eqqually hard training regime or an even harder.

And what do you mean by "toughest"? Most competent? Than I bet it depends on the mission, the SEALs lacking heavy weapons for a stand-up fight especially with armored vehicles me thinks, but I'd expect them to be better at say underwater demolitions.
                        Or do you mean literally toughest, like most able to withstand damage? In that case we'd need scores of Marines and Seals, then shoot at them drop them from heights, beatings, etc. While people usually complain about that sort of treatment, appeal to the honor of their respective units should ensure an ample supply of volunteers.
                        Reaction to the 2016 Munich shootings:
                        Europe: "We are shocked and support you in these harsh times, we stand by you."
                        USA: "We will check people from Germany extra-hard and it is your own damn fault for being so stupid."

Comment

Originally posted by Karri View Post
                          Rangers, Special Forces & Deltas & Marine Recon is still far from "anywhere in the world".
                          What? Now you are attempting to say that the training the US Special Ops receive is not? Then name it.

Comment

Originally posted by urqh View Post
                            Dont you yank fellows also have dolphins as well as seals? Or am I getting confused with the Miami Dolphins? Are they tougher than the seals then? I did hear a US dolphin went awol in Iraq on mine clearance duties 2 years ago, around Al Faw....Cant say I blame em much...Better question....One that will prove toughest...which ones go awol most....Dolphins, sorry, seals or navy..

We brits dont have seals, we have penugins mostly in Falklands but lets not upset any other southern Americans here and keep it to seals and navy, and maybe miami dolphins...Although we do have some dangerous creatures in old blighty england....Have you ever been attacked by a bear in America....we have similar, but its not the same beng mugged by a squirrel....Well I go for the seals, it must be pretty tough having fish for rations, day in day out. Then again, who makes the biggest bang...who can dissasemble an m16 underwater with their eyes shut..But maybe a seal couldnt get the Eishenhower up the panama canal blindfolded...Maybe Im wrong...but a dolphin could probably do both....Im edging my bets on the squirrels...They have nuts.
                            As a matter of fact there are US Naval personeel who do wear "dolphins" on their uniforms. They are submariners.

Does any military wear "llamas" or "alpacas" on their unifmors?

Yes, as matter-of-fact I have been attacked by a Black bear in New Mexico. There is a secret about being chased by a bear. You want to run downhill, not uphill. When bears get on all 4s they are built like a hot rod and actually have to brake themselves from going down hill too fast or they will end up somersaulting down the hill. Besides, I don't worry about a bear chasing me, I'll be running on dry ground while he/she will be slipping on $hit. Actually, when the bear started after me & my friends I stopped to change my boots to running shoes. My compatriots stopped and asked me what I was doing since everyone knows that no person can outrun a bear. I replied, "True, but I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun one of you all." It ended up well though, just as the bear was about to catch me I came to a Ponderosa pine tree, but the closest branch was at least 10 feet from the ground. Still, I jumped as high as I could. I missed the branch, but caught it on the way back down.

Comment

What? Now you are attempting to say that the training the US Special Ops receive is not? Then name it.
                              Name what? I didn't make any claims, I only raised the question as to why you would think so.
                              Wisdom is personal

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X