Contemplating Good Friday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contemplating Good Friday

Christians often read the story of Jesus' crucifixion and make a lot of judgements of the people involved. We often like to imagine that if we were in those circumstances, we would have behaved differently. Oh that doubting Thomas, why couldn't he have more faith. Oh that cowardly Pilate, why didn't he stand up to the crowd. And that evil crowd with the earthly desires, don't get us started on them.

For my part, I level no criticisms, because I can see myself in just about every character involved and I'll wager everyone else would fit into those molds as well.

I know for a fact I wouldn't have stood with Jesus at the moment of truth and I don't try to delude myself into thinking I would have. Like the zealots, I am action oriented. I have little use for hymn singing or prayer and meditation, I prefer being in the field getting stuff done over the "be still and know that I am God" approach. And I'm sure no pacifist. The priest's orderly can be thankful it wasn't me in the garden of Gethsemane. I would have taken more than his ear. So, if I was in that circumstance and lacking the 20/20 hindsight of the modern Christian, it wouldn't have taken me long to lose patience with Jesus when it became obvious that knocking Rome over and setting up an earthly kingdom wasn't part of his agenda.

And then we have Thomas, the favorite whipping boy to be trotted out if somebody asks too many questions. I not only refuse to judge Thomas, I think his skepticism deserves credit. Let's get something perfectly clear: he saw his friend and teacher die on a cross. Saw clinical evidence of death too. And we're surprised that he is skeptical of reports that said teacher is now walking around. Frankly, I'd be more concerned if he wasn't skeptical. Fortune cookie say wise man make sure pool has water before jumping off high dive. If I was to go around saying someone rose from the dead and teaching a religion that can get you whipped at best and crucified at worst I'd want to see the head man in the flesh too.

Let's not be too quick to judge the characters of the Bible. All to often we forget we are looking at things with 2000 years of accumulated wisdom that they didn't have. Would you really be any different if you were in their shoes?
    Last edited by Pirateship1982; 02 Apr 10, 16:39.
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

In the book of Ecclesaites it says: "There is nothing new under the sun."

As far as the actions of people go I will agree with that.
    "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

The only person who could've stopped the crucifixion was Christ himself. Otherwise, it was going to happen regardless of the actions of the other characters. IMO, Pilate receives much more criticism than he derserves.
      If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

i saw tv program about the gnostic [pardon spelling] which apeared to say that jesus felt it was his time to go the progam even sujested that judus
        acted with his knowing and pemishon
        looking at some of the stars of the last centery many of them died young and at the hight of there powers
        maybe if jesus had not died young and had grown old his message may had been lost in time?
        FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY
        BAN ME NOW

Comment

Originally posted by ROOBARB View Post
          i saw tv program about the gnostic [pardon spelling] which apeared to say that jesus felt it was his time to go the progam even sujested that judus
          acted with his knowing and pemishon
          looking at some of the stars of the last centery many of them died young and at the hight of there powers
          maybe if jesus had not died young and had grown old his message may had been lost in time?
          Christ's death and resurrection IS the message.
          If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Thomas wasn't a real doubter imo either. And if he was I would have been too. Because in all frankness, given the mode of the times, I would have initially freaked out when Moses and Elijah appeared with the Christ.

And I agree Pilate got a bad rap for centuries.

Ntl. Tomorrow once again, I can state with a faith held certainty, HE HAS RISEN.

Thanks.

Comment

God sent Christ to die intentionally. Christ was s u p p o s e d to die.

Thus pondering it is fairly ahh you know pointless.

Well that is what I was taught.

God planned on not letting him really die though.
              Does tend to make you wonder, if he escaped death, what does that say?

To me, it seems to say some people simply don't have to pay.
              I think that sends a message of the wrong sort.
              Life is change. Built models for decades.
              Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
              I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

God sent Christ to die intentionally. Christ was s u p p o s e d to die.

Yup. That was the plan.

Thus pondering it is fairly ahh you know pointless.

Nope. it's subjective i grant, but it can reinforce my faith.

Well that is what I was taught.

The former or the latter?

God planned on not letting him really die though.
                Does tend to make you wonder, if he escaped death, what does that say?

Part of the plan. Why should it bother me? Death after all is nothing but to paraphrase.... 'a Beginning'.

To me, it seems to say some people simply don't have to pay.
                I think that sends a message of the wrong sort.

Your entitled to that. As i am to my counter. Accept or reject that's yours.

Have a Happy Easter whatever you believe.

Comment

Easter - a time of year when otherwise intelligent Christians believe that giant rabbits lay eggs, events totally unconnected to the actual PAGAN holiday being celebrated, which is the Spring Equinox.

Happy "Easter" indeed...

BTW - if you are interested, Spring Equinox is celebrated all throughout South America by people whose religious roots predate Christianity by a long, long time.

Comment

In my home this is Happy Chocolate Rodent Day.

Err no, we don't eat chocolate covered rodents (just thought I should clear that up ).

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
                      In my home this is Happy Chocolate Rodent Day.

Err no, we don't eat chocolate covered rodents (just thought I should clear that up ).
                      Then what DO you eat?

Comment

I'd tell ya, but everyone always responds with TMI

Comment

There are a few billion folk who don't really care about, or disagree with the characters involved and/or Christian interpretation of the event. Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, Shintoists, Hindus, Rastas, Athiests and Agnostics to name just a few.

As to what I think? I think my thoughts on the issue will remain mine and between me and who or whatever I believe in.

Happy Easter!
                          Dennis
                          If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Easter - a time of year when otherwise intelligent Christians believe that giant rabbits lay eggs, events totally unconnected to the actual PAGAN holiday being celebrated, which is the Spring Equinox.
                            *Sigh* If you don't like the fact that Easter occurs near the equinox, I suggest you take it up with God and have him reschedule the crucifixion to a more convenient date for you.

In the mean time historical scholars know that Good Friday is actually scheduled to coordinate with Passover, not the equinox. Unlike Christ's mass, an observance that didn't start until the establishment of the Catholic hierarchy, Easter celebration has been in existance since the beginning of Christianity and thus predates Christian interactions with Celtic and Germanic pagans so arguing that the Easter celebration was deliberately placed over the Equinox to target pagan traditions is beyond a stretch, it is an anachronistic impossibility. There was no holiday to subvert.

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            BTW - if you are interested, Spring Equinox is celebrated all throughout South America by people whose religious roots predate Christianity by a long, long time.
                            So?
                            A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X