Spitfire Chevy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spitfire Chevy

This 1955 Chevy has been fitted with a Rolls Royce Merlin V12 engine.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

I THINK that motor is a Rolls Royce 'METEOR' engine.

The same engine that powered our 'Centurion' tanks back in the 50s. Essentially the same as a 'MERLIN' but geared/tuned down to a manageable output.

John.
    The PLO claims ALL of Israel!!! There will and can NEVER be a "2 State solution".

Comment

Originally posted by ozjohn39 View Post
      I THINK that motor is a Rolls Royce 'METEOR' engine.

The same engine that powered our 'Centurion' tanks back in the 50s. Essentially the same as a 'MERLIN' but geared/tuned down to a manageable output.

John.
      Unsure about that because they are claiming the Chevy outputs 3,000 horsepower. A typical Merlin engine was about 1000hp. After the removal of the supercharger, the output dropped to about 600 hp and the engine became a Meteor. That was the horsepower of a Cromwell tank or a similar armored vehicle.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
      --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Reminds me of when Super Chevy put a Bigblock 502 into a Chevette.
        If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Seems to me a waste of a perfectly good 55 Chevy 2DrHdtp.
          I mean---uhh--what do they do with it???
          John
          The most visable part of a persons education is their parents example !

Christianity is made far too complicated by far too many denominations.
          It's truly a simple concept.
          Dont take my word for it---Read the Book of Romans!

Comment

Monster,

The early RR 'Merlins' were about 1100 hp, and I think the best they got to was about 2000hp. The later 'Griffon' took that to about 2400 hp.

That thing would go GREAT on the 'up the centre' Stuart Highway, where they have NO speed limit.

John.
            The PLO claims ALL of Israel!!! There will and can NEVER be a "2 State solution".

Comment

Originally posted by ozjohn39 View Post
              Monster,

The early RR 'Merlins' were about 1100 hp, and I think the best they got to was about 2000hp. The later 'Griffon' took that to about 2400 hp.

That thing would go GREAT on the 'up the centre' Stuart Highway, where they have NO speed limit.

John.
              Oh, there is a speed limit. It's called aerodynamics. My 70' Chevelle's nose would start to float at around 130 mph. Considering the additional weight weight of the Merlin but worse aerodynamics of the 55', I'd say it would top out at around 160-180 or so before it became uncontrollable.
              If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

...reminds me of the winner of the Darwin Award going back a few years. Seems he fitted a JATO motor to a Chevy or Oldsmobile or some such and went for a ride. Problem was when your vehicle is airborne you have no steering thereby making a hole in the side of a cliff a la Wile E. Coyote...
                ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X