Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A challenge for the religious (with a religious belief)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A challenge for the religious (with a religious belief)

I am not religious as you all know, but occasionally I encounter a belief, that can't be explained scientifically, yet still manages to confound with evidence that defies explanation.

I know some of reincarnation, but not a great deal.

I know of some past life experiences that defy explanation.

I want to know, how does the religious crowd explain reincarnation from within their own religion's teachings?

Christianity teaches you live, you die, and your life's choices determine where you end up afterwards. But the basic idea is you die and you stay dead and you don't return. You remain where you went.

With reincarnation, you live, you die, and then you return again, and possibly you make better choices from the last time if you are lucky and wiser.

I'm just curious to find explanation to the how and the what of past life experiences. Because something about them is worth finding out. If we DO return, I think it will affect a lot of priorities.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

What is there to return?
    Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by Karri View Post
      What is there to return?
      When I know, I'll share the secret

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
        When I know, I'll share the secret
        Assuming you have already returned, then wouldn't you know the secret? Or for that matter, anyone?
        Wisdom is personal

Comment

Well this time round my memory seems a bit faulty

Comment

Hindus believe that by doing good things, one works up to the next level at each reincarnation, ultimately achieving Nirvana.

I haven't seen anything to suggest that individuals retain memories for their past lives, however. It appears they start over again "fresh" each time.

(I used to work with a Hindu doctor. We talked about this fairly often in quiet moments at work.)
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Christianity and reincarnation are polar opposites.

From my understanding of Hinduism I will guess that you were once a lawyer who padded his account books with hours he did not really work and got sent back as you are for punishment. Now it's your time to make up for it. Or not. Just thought I'd throw this paragraph in for pure amusements sake. I definitely do not believe in Hinduism or Buddhism.
              "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

The obvious explanation is that people with past life experiences are delusional, however this doesn't quite cover it. There are things we can't currently can't explain, falling back on a belief for which there is little evidence, even if it isn't the traditional 'magic man done it' doesn't qualify as an explanation any whether it's reincarnation, thetans or faries.

All rather a shame if you ask me as reincarnation ties things up rather nicely.
                "Little pigs, little pigs, I've come to nick your tele!"

Comment

Originally posted by trailboss49 View Post
                  Exactly how is reincarnation the "polar opposite" of Christianity? I would assume that the polar opposite of Christianity would at least require both the denial of God and the human soul, as well as the existence or status of Christ. Reincarnationists, however, obviously believe in a soul and do not necessarily deny the existence of God. Anyway, do highly developed religious systems even have "polar opposites"?
                  Last edited by Skoblin; 25 Mar 10, 09:32.

Comment

Originally posted by trailboss49 View Post
                    My question would be directed to those who know General George Patton.....he obviously believed in reincarnation as there are many quotes from him on such. Did he consider himself a Christian? I've seen the film, but have not read an extensive biography on him. If so, what does that mean for this statement from Trailboss?
                    The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

If I get reincarnated I would like to come back as an otter.
                      Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

I stand by the simple statement that "Christianity and reincarnation are polar opposites."

In Christianity you believe that Jesus Christ is the Living Son of the Living God and that He willingly sacrificed Himself on the cross for the foregiveness of sinners, and that we are all sinners.

Thus, the premise "By grace you are saved, and not by works."

Reincarnation is completely opposite. You keep coming back as another person/animal/bug until you correct all your imperfections and are "perfect". Thus, it is by works you reach Nirvana and not by the grace of God.

Now, you can believe/disbelieve one or the other, or disbelieve both. But, you cannot believe in the precipes of Christianity and at the same time believe in reincarnation. You are contradicting yourself.

I've lived in Buddhist/Hindu cultures and I find them very lacking in self will and hung up on 'predestination'.
                        "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

I think the confusion is that you (trailboss) have termed them 'polar opposites' rather than 'contradictory.' The 'opposite' of Christianity would be an anti-theistic or atheistic belief system which denied the existance of a soul, an afterlife and so on. Reincarnation is not the 'opposite' of Christianity, it does however directly contradict the basic tennets of the religion (if there are such things in the crazy rag bag we cherry picked to keep) and therefore the two are fundamentally incompatible.

Now whether you 'consider yourself' a Christian or not doesn't seem relevant to me, I might 'consider myself' tall but at 5 foot 7 I just ain't just as if I consider myself a Christian but if I believe something that directly contradicts Christianity how can I be? Obviously you must allow for different interpretations but I think it would be very difficult to interpret scripture to leave room for reincarnation.
                          "Little pigs, little pigs, I've come to nick your tele!"

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
                            I am not religious as you all know, but occasionally I encounter a belief, that can't be explained scientifically, yet still manages to confound with evidence that defies explanation.

I know some of reincarnation, but not a great deal.

I know of some past life experiences that defy explanation.

I want to know, how does the religious crowd explain reincarnation from within their own religion's teachings?

Christianity teaches you live, you die, and your life's choices determine where you end up afterwards. But the basic idea is you die and you stay dead and you don't return. You remain where you went.

With reincarnation, you live, you die, and then you return again, and possibly you make better choices from the last time if you are lucky and wiser.

I'm just curious to find explanation to the how and the what of past life experiences. Because something about them is worth finding out. If we DO return, I think it will affect a lot of priorities.
                            LMAO! The irony of this post is almost more than I can bear...

Comment

Best summary of my approach to religion.

Civilization was a huge psychopath with a club going "I'm going to have rape for dinner."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X