Need some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help

Ok, I know this is probably something to do with gaming but I feel it might get more "publicity" here. I've had a problem logging onto xbox live for the past month and every time I check the more info it says that xbox live requires a MTU of _____ or higher. Now my internet works for everything else but I can't play online and right now my subscription is running out and I can't play (ya I know the PS3 is free but I don't care). My question is what is MTU and how do I check it so I can fix my problem. I'm not very technical when it comes to the internet (network?) stuff, I just use it so any help will be appreciated
    Last edited by No_Nickname; 07 Mar 10, 19:16.
    "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

NN,

Try this....

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/u...kHelp_mtu.aspx

Comment

For some reason I can't check it, don't have the login info and my console is in the next room from the router and I can't move the TV
      "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

Comment

Originally posted by No_Nickname View Post
        Ok, I know this is probably something to do with gaming but I feel it might get more "publicity" here. I've had a problem logging onto xbox live for the past month and every time I check the more info it says that xbox live requires a MTU of _____ or higher. Now my internet works for everything else but I can't play online and right now my subscription is running out and I can't play (ya I know the PS3 is free but I don't care). My question is what is MTU and how do I check it so I can fix my problem. I'm not very technical when it comes to the internet (network?) stuff, I just use it so any help will be appreciated
        From...

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/u...kHelp_mtu.aspx

Your network does not have a sufficient MTU setting. Xbox LIVE requires a minimum MTU setting of 1364.

The information your console sends and receives is broken up into "packets" for transmission over your network. MTU is a setting that controls the size of these packets. If it's too small, you won't be able to connect to Xbox LIVE.

Top Solutions
        Try these solutions in order. If you give each one a shot and you still can't connect, contact Xbox Customer Support. Note that they will ask you try the suggestions on this page first.

Solution 1: Check your router MTU settings
        Xbox LIVE requires a minimum MTU setting of 1364. Usually, you can change your MTU setting from your router configuration web page, which is supplied by your router manufacturer.

Learn how to find and use your router configuration page

Look for the MTU setting on the router configuration page. When you find it, set it to Auto or 1364 (or higher), save your settings, and then try to connect to Xbox LIVE again on your console.

Solution 2: Connect directly to the modem
        If your router's MTU is set correctly, try bypassing it by connecting your console directly to the modem. This will help determine whether there's a problem with your router or something else on your network.

Note
        This may require you to move your console to a location close to your modem. This is a temporary arrangement, meant only to troubleshoot your connection. If your console is connected wirelessly, you'll need an Ethernet cable for this step.

To connect your console directly to your modem (wired connection):
        Find the Ethernet cable that runs between your console and the router.
        Unplug the cable from the router, leaving it connected to the console.
        Find the Ethernet cable that runs between the router and the modem.
        Unplug the cable from the modem, and plug the cable from your console in its place.
        To connect your console directly to your modem (wireless connection):
        Unplug the USB connector for your adapter from the console. The adapter can remain attached to the console.
        Plug an Ethernet cable into the Ethernet port on the back of the console.
        Find the Ethernet cable that runs between your router and the modem.
        Unplug the cable from the modem, and plug the cable from your console in its place.
        Try to connect to Xbox LIVE again. If it works, there may be an issue with your router. Double-check the MTU setting in solution 1 above. Also confirm that you're using a compatible router, and make sure it has the latest updates from the manufacturer. If the problem persists, you may want to try a different router.

Hope it helps mate.

Gaz

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X