X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lufthansa embarrassed after Russian 'Stalingrad' hijack

Lufthansa embarrassed after Russian 'Stalingrad' hijack

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ad-hijack.html

Lufthansa launched the online poll last month in order to find a name for one of a batch of new Airbus A380s it will start using soon. It offered the person who dreamt up the winning name the "glittering prospect" of acquiring one million air miles, enough to fly round the world twice in first class.

Within days, almost 10,000 people had voted for "Stalingrad" making it the favourite to win by a huge margin. The airline apparently thought Russian pranksters were behind the incongruous result, suspecting they had rigged the voting with the help of a special computer programme.

Faced with the prospect of having to name one of its planes after a city that broke the back of the Third Reich, Lufthansa quietly removed the "Stalingrad" nomination from its website.
    www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Good find ShAA. Of course Lufthansa would say that the voting was rigged. Apparently they haven't wrapped their heads around the fact its called the "world wide" web for a reason. It just takes one person needs with the idea to name the plane, and if he has a friend or two, this idea could go viral in a real hurry -

Ivan to Ludmilla - hey there's a Lufthansa offer of a million miles for naming one of their planes. Wouldn't it be great to name it Stalingrad. Ha. Here's the link.

Ludmilla to Maria and Pyotr - Ivan just had this great idea. Go on the Lufthansa website and vote to name the plane Stalingrad.

Maria to 10 of her friends - hey, lets all do this

Pyotr to his joke list of 50 people - hey lets all do this. Make sure you forward to your friends.

And so on.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ibis View Post
      Good find ShAA. Of course Lufthansa would say that the voting was rigged. Apparently they haven't wrapped their heads around the fact its called the "world wide" web for a reason. It just takes one person needs with the idea to name the plane, and if he has a friend or two, this idea could go viral in a real hurry -

Ivan to Ludmilla - hey there's a Lufthansa offer of a million miles for naming one of their planes. Wouldn't it be great to name it Stalingrad. Ha. Here's the link.

Ludmilla to Maria and Pyotr - Ivan just had this great idea. Go on the Lufthansa website and vote to name the plane Stalingrad.

Maria to 10 of her friends - hey, lets all do this

Pyotr to his joke list of 50 people - hey lets all do this. Make sure you forward to your friends.

And so on.
      Yeah, that and the flashmobbing fad which is still alive in some corners of RuNet.
      www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

Pretty funny stuff I do however like the airline.

Comment

Excellent article!

I think I would have voted to have the Airbus named Checkpoint Charlie.

Comment

Yeah right. Like a luft anything should be associated with Stalingrad. Maybe call it the Yak or the Goering.
            Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Pft, Lufthansa did not deserve better. Asking random people on the internet will always result in jokes at best and insults at worst, only a minority will ever be helpful.
              Anyone who plays online RPGs knows that much.
              Ha, wie so stolz und hehr
              Wirft über Land und Meer
              Weithin der deutsche Aar
              Flammenden Blick.

Comment

You'd think people would have learned from the recent voting in the UK that resulted in Rage Against the Machines "Killing in the Name of" being voted the top song for the holidays.

Not that I wish Lufthansa ill, but they're lucky the pranksters didn't pick "Auschwitz".

I realize that we're almost numb to this sort of thing now, but it's still a little sad that this sort of thing is expected. I may be an optimist, but I want to believe that someone in Lufthansa honestly believed it was a good thing to allow people to have a chance to contribute something. Ack, I'm a dreamer.
                Last edited by DingBat; 04 Mar 10, 13:03.

Comment

Originally posted by DingBat View Post
                  Not that I wish Lufthansa ill, but they're lucky the pranksters didn't pick "Auschwitz".
                  Exactly.
                  ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Very Nice

Comment

Man, I would have taken the name in a heartbeat! I'd double the miles out of respect for the audacity. Awesomely irreverant!
                      How many Allied tanks it would take to destroy a Maus?
                      275. Because that's how many shells there are in the Maus. Then it could probably crush some more until it ran out of gas. - Surfinbird

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X