Goodby to a friend.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodby to a friend.

I am forced by circumstances to say goodby to a close friend today. His health has been failing and I have lengthened his life through medications for close to a year now. But he is wasting away, visibly..... weakening badly and cannot even eat any longer without having it rejected from his stomach. The time has come for him, I cannot bear to watch him suffer any longer and have a sneaking suspicion that I have let it go too long already, to his discomfort.

Today, at 3:00 pm, I have to take my senior cat, Karma, to the vets for his final examination, verdict and the end of his existance.

How can I do that to a close friend? How can I, the willing instrument of his life and care till now, reconcile the final duty I must perform? He does not understand that what I do is for his own comfort and release from suffering. He only knows that "something is wrong" and seeks nothing more than comfort from me, as he did for most of last night.

How do I say goodby to that little ball of fur that my wife brought into our lives just before Christmas of '94, who has shown us nothing more than affection, has given us comfort, no matter the pressures of the work day, enjoyed play time with us and was a source of entertainment, loyalty and warmth for as long as he has been in our lives.

I don't know the answer. All I know is that a fifteen year chunk of my life is about to have a hole torn in it, a family member removed, a friend gone. I find it just as distressful as having lost human friends over the years.

So I am the bearer of death for my little friend. His feline mind won't comprehend the rationale, the betrayal of trust, the rejection of his company after all these years together. Although I do what I do, for the right reasons..... it still doesn't make me feel any better about it.

The premise of the musical "Cats" was that every so often one cat was specifically "chosen" to be reborn to another "better" life. Might I submit my friend Karma as worthy of the "honor"?

Goodby my friend, you will be missed in death as you were loved in life.

GG
    "The will of a section rooted in self interest, should not outweigh the vital interests of a whole people." -Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain-

"Fanatics of any sort are dangerous." -GG-

I'm very sorry, GG. For what it's worth, and I know it isn't much, we had to have our cat Dagget put to sleep late last year. It was quick and painless for him. My condolences to you and your family.

Comment

I had to do the same thing with my 15-year old German Shepard-mix, Andi, about a week ago.

She was my best friend for 15 years.

Andi is the one on the right...

We lost Dan, the other big yellow dog, two years ago.

Bailey-Boo, the little black dog, is about 16-years old... So we know we don't have much time left with him either.

But we have seven other little four-legged children ranging from ~8 month old Ian Luis to ~12-yr old Macy Moo...
      Last edited by The Doctor; 03 Mar 10, 12:48.
      Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

I as well am sorry GG. I had to put down my black lab on Oct. 25, 1997 and still remember that trip to the office. In fact every time I hear the song that was playing in the car on the ride home I change the station. Remember the good...
        "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
        -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

I'm sad for you.

You are doing it because he's been your good friend as you are his.
          Publisher
          Armchair General Magazine
          Weider History Group

Comment

I have been down that road as well. The process of losing a pet is why the child bride and I will have no more.

Regards,
            Dennis
            If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

I know the pain you're feeling all to well.It's no different than losing a family member.I am truly sorry.
              ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Sorry to hear about the little guy. All I can add is that you've given him 15 years of love he otherwise wouldn't have had, and this last act is selfless love for him, even if it seems otherwise.
                Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

GG, you and yours have my family's deepest sympathies.
                  Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

I still sometimes dream of the pets that we've had.
                    Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by Karri View Post
                      I still sometimes dream of the pets that we've had.
                      So do I.
                      ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
                        I am forced by circumstances to say goodby to a close friend today. His health has been failing and I have lengthened his life through medications for close to a year now. But he is wasting away, visibly..... weakening badly and cannot even eat any longer without having it rejected from his stomach. The time has come for him, I cannot bear to watch him suffer any longer and have a sneaking suspicion that I have let it go too long already, to his discomfort.

Today, at 3:00 pm, I have to take my senior cat, Karma, to the vets for his final examination, verdict and the end of his existance.

How can I do that to a close friend? How can I, the willing instrument of his life and care till now, reconcile the final duty I must perform? He does not understand that what I do is for his own comfort and release from suffering. He only knows that "something is wrong" and seeks nothing more than comfort from me, as he did for most of last night.

How do I say goodby to that little ball of fur that my wife brought into our lives just before Christmas of '94, who has shown us nothing more than affection, has given us comfort, no matter the pressures of the work day, enjoyed play time with us and was a source of entertainment, loyalty and warmth for as long as he has been in our lives.

I don't know the answer. All I know is that a fifteen year chunk of my life is about to have a hole torn in it, a family member removed, a friend gone. I find it just as distressful as having lost human friends over the years.

So I am the bearer of death for my little friend. His feline mind won't comprehend the rationale, the betrayal of trust, the rejection of his company after all these years together. Although I do what I do, for the right reasons..... it still doesn't make me feel any better about it.

The premise of the musical "Cats" was that every so often one cat was specifically "chosen" to be reborn to another "better" life. Might I submit my friend Karma as worthy of the "honor"?

Goodby my friend, you will be missed in death as you were loved in life.

GG
                        I know exactly how you feel. Last summer we had to put down our 19yo cat, Scooter. It was tough, but it was the right thing to do. Prayers to you and yours for strength and focus on the happiness you brought each other.

Curt

Comment

That's sad GG.

I have a 14 year old short-haired old style Dachshund and I am aware that her time is coming... But I don't think I'll take her to the vet to put her down. I know she is afraid of that place and wouldn't like to do that to her. Maybe have the vet come over or something, I don't know.

Comment

Hey I just wanted to sorry for your lost, about a couple of years ago we had to put down my dog Oscar of 12 years (or so) and it was one of the hardest things I had to do.
                            "The people never have the power, only the illusion of it. And here is the real secret: they don't want it. The responsibility is too great to bear. It's why they are so quick to fall in line as soon as someone else takes charge."
                            "

Comment

My heartfelt condolences on your loss. We all feel your pain. Try to remember the good times.
                              If there are no dogs in Heaven, then I want to go where they went when they died-Will Rogers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X