X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did you join the military

Why did any of us join the military

Patriotic reasons ....Economic Reasons...Social reasons

Me.... I got conscripted into the UK army , decided I like it and went regular .. went from my original regiment to the Paras..got out in 57 decided to emigrate . joined the Canadian Aiforce..learnd a hell of a lot, went from mechanic to Flt Engineer... the only place I ever got payed to go to school....Best choice I ever made

Bow on the island

per ardua ad astra

Re: Why did you join the military

Originally posted by Bow
    Why did any of us join the military

Patriotic reasons ....Economic Reasons...Social reasons

Me.... I got conscripted into the UK army , decided I like it and went regular .. went from my original regiment to the Paras..got out in 57 decided to emigrate . joined the Canadian Aiforce..learnd a hell of a lot, went from mechanic to Flt Engineer... the only place I ever got payed to go to school....Best choice I ever made

Bow on the island

per ardua ad astra

FE on what a/c?
    Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Patriotic and economic. I come from a family thats always served its country. In peace or war.

Comment

To travel to strange and exotic lands meet new and interesting people and kill them.

"Anyone who runs is a VC...anyone who stands still is a well disiplined VC."
        Unknown Marine Aircrewman

Semper Fi

Comment

My Dad was military. I wanted to become a cop but was too young so I joined the military as an MP. Never, ever regreted it.
          http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

I wanted to join ever since I was 8 yrs old or so.

My parents saved a bottle of 18 yr old Napoleon Brandy for when I graduated from basic. By the time we drank it, it was about 45 yrs old.
            Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

to see the world. it was a great experiance.
              i yam what i yam and thats what i yam!

Comment

The recruiter called.

As he tells it, my ASVAB and NMSQT scores were very good.

I went down to his office, and while talking he asked if I knew a certain guy. I said yes. He said the guy would be in on Monday with another friend. So I came back on Monday. It happened the guy was one of my best friends, and he brought one of his best friends. Before we knew what was going on, we there were four of us enlisting. Within a year, 25 to 30 guys from our town enlisted. More than they had had in a dozen years.

Anyway, I was always interested in the military. My dad served in Europe in the early 50s, as an Army correspondent, for Armed Forces Radio and Stars and Stripes.

When I told them I wanted to enlist in the Marines, at 17, they said they weren't surprised. Knew I would likely join one branch or another. They signed the papers, and I have had no regrets. That was 29 years ago.

Now my son (14) wants to go into the Navy (shudder) as a lawyer (ouch).

Anyway, I have always considered myself a patriot. I was approaching 18 while Nam was still going on. Wasn't crazy about the idea about going, even if it was winding down, but knew if called I would go.

I also knew that I was in desperate need for self discipline. I never got into any serious trouble, but knew I needed something to kick start me, and keep me going in a straight line.

I also had had enough of school. After enlisting, I dropped out of the local community college before my first term. Figured I would use the GI Bill to go to school later. I got my BA, and made it half way through a masters, and have no school debts.

Plus the thought of getting to do some traveling, and to get training, and meet new people was a bonus.

Here I am as a lean mean fighting machine, ca early 1977 at Pendleton, during annual rifle qual.
                Attached Files
                Retreat hell, we just got here. Every Marine, a rifleman.

Never let the facts get in the way of the truth.

Comment

Some of us know...some of us don't.

When I joined the Marines, it was because I was trying to be a non-conformist...at least, so I thought at the time.

Non-conformist because my father was a Naval Officer with 28 years in when I was commissioned. He commissioned me and I "decomissioned" (retired) him three days later. He didn't much like the Marines from his days in Vietnam, although he liked many of the people who were Marines. We'd get into good natured "squid" versus "grunt" arguments....

Non-conformist because I was one of those overeducated artsy-fartsy types and all my friends couldn't believe I was doing something they felt was so "incredibly stupid."

Non-conformist because I had really long hair and looked like a hippie around campus...and two weeks before senior year finals I walked in wearing completely different clothes and sporting a military "high and tight" haircut...and my professors and classmates didn't recognize me for days.

Non-conformist because my roommates were going to be lawyers--one was our class valedictorian. I wasn't going to do that. We'd watch the movie PAPER CHASE with Timothy Bottoms and I'd say "I could never do that"...they'd watch "Deer Hunter" or "Apocalypse Now" and tell me they could never do that.

Non-conformist because I knew my 5 foot 10 inch blonde-haired blue-eyed babe of a girlfriend would disown me if I joined the Corps...and it pissed me off that she didn't love me that much to understand. So I lost her with that decision. Good thing, in retrospect, though it sure didn't feel that way at the time.

In retrospect, I think there was far more to it than I thought way back then.

I wasn't much different that most who joined the Marine Corps--I had to prove something to someone, whether it was to myself, to my father, or to my former girlfriend.

I wanted to part of something important. In that, I have succeeded beyond my imagination. It's 23 years later, and I've not regretted a day of it. What kept me in were my fellow Marines--the finest bunch of warriors and Americans I'll ever know in my lifetime....

For what it's worth.

--emw
                  Eric M. Walters,
                  Colonel, United States Marine Corps

Comment

Semper fi. Colonel.
                    Attached Files
                    Retreat hell, we just got here. Every Marine, a rifleman.

Never let the facts get in the way of the truth.

Comment

OOHRAHH SIR

Semper Fi

Comment

Lots of Marines here. Guess I better give y'all an HOORAH! :armed:
                        "Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for"
                        "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching"

Comment

I had always intended to give the service a try. I've always been surrounded by military people and I had an interest in military history as far back as my elementary school days. But I didn't really join under my own terms, my best friend joined the Army before I did and I let him talk me into joining a few months later. It worked out ok but didn't turn out to be an experience that might have kept me in for a career and the moral of this story is do what you want to do, not what your buddies would like you to do.
                          "War is the remedy our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want."
                          General William "Uncle Billy" Sherman

Comment

Gentlemen,
                            I salute you all.

Cheers!

:armed:
                            Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Can't really remember why I joined but I know why I got out: clogged promotion system, spending more time with my troops than my wife, too many "all expense paid" trips to foreign countries. I don't regret being in, been all over the owrld and still have many of the friends I made, but I got to the top of the hill (10 yrs) and just didn't like what I saw on the other side. The Army has change ALOT in the last 10 yrs. Oddly enough, now I drive truck and am home less than when I was in the service. Although no one is trying to kill me (at least not unless I'm in LA or NYC).
                              If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X