Military Roots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Roots

How many of you readers and posters come from Military families? My dad serves in the US Air Force right now, my gramps was a medic in the US Army during WW2, and mygreat-grandpa served in the US Army during WW1. What I want to know is how many of you come from Military roots ? My military roots have affected me, I am now in JROTC and plan to take it through college and join the US Air Force.
    "If we have to give these bastards our lives, we give them hell before we do! " - Cpt. Mifune, The Matrix Revolutions

Re: Military Roots

Originally posted by Cpt. Bonez
    How many of you readers and posters come from Military families? My dad serves in the US Air Force right now, my gramps was a medic in the US Army during WW2, and mygreat-grandpa served in the US Army during WW1. What I want to know is how many of you come from Military roots ? My military roots have affected me, I am now in JROTC and plan to take it through college and join the US Air Force.
    Father served in RCAF then CAF from 1955-1984
    One uncle served WW2
    Wife's grandfather served WW2
    http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

My dad served in Korea and stayed in the CAF until 1971.
      I had an uncle who served in Italy in WW II.
      All of my brothers(3) served at one time or another in the CAF.
      And of course there's moi.
      Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Re: Military Roots

Originally posted by Cpt. Bonez
        Father- US Army than later on USAF.
        Uncle - USN
        Uncles - US Army

My dad was the only career military though.

Cheers!
        :toast;

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Grandfather served in an AA battery in WWII.

Comment

Yep, I come from one.
            "War is the remedy our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want."
            General William "Uncle Billy" Sherman

Comment

I don't know many specifics to be honest:

My grandfather on my dad's side was in the navy and served on destroyers (and got to watch the A-bomb tests).

My grandfather on my mom's side is a hardcore Marine Sgt (I believe he ended as a Sgt Major).

A number of other people in my family have also served, including an uncle I have that's in Iraq right now attached to a Marine general (again, I don't remember the name of the General though).
              “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Grandfather fled Germany -> UK -> Canada, returned to UK and flew bombers for the RCAF.

Other grandfather served in the Canadian army during WWII.

Uncle sank with the HMCS Athabascan during WWII.

There are others, but those are the main ones. (Other relatives begin to get more obscure).
                "When I am abroad I always make it a rule never to criticize or attack the Government of my country. I make up for lost time when I am at home."

Winston Churchill

Comment

My Dad was a career Naval Officer and my grandad was a career army officer. Prior to that we have served in every war since the first part of the family came over in 1610 in the South and 1620 in the North. Migrated out of Plymouth to New Hampshire on Revolutionary land grants. Migrated West on Civil War land grants.

I did the Jr. ROTC and a full ROTC scholarship with 4 years active with Armor.
                  Boston Strong!

Comment

My family has always been in the service.

My Father's family provided a herd of officers to the Confederacy and the US colonial militia and Continental armies -- but before that they rose in rebellion against England every few years (some of them were Scots), and conquered Scotland with the Vikings (where they were Jarls and Kings).

My Mother's family is the same -- German officers going back forever.

I am in the Army (obviously). Most of my cousins served in the service, and my nephew was in the 3ID when they were here, but has since joined the National Guard.

My wife is in the Korean royal family, with a long list of generals, kings and admirals going back thousands of years.

My father, step-father, and father-in-law all fought in the Korean war (it's not a "forgotten war" at our house!).

JS
                    Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                    Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                    http://www.mormon.org
                    http://www.sca.org
                    http://www.scv.org/
                    http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

My dad served in the 4th ID when it was in Ft. Lewis, Washington.

One uncle served in the Air Force......not sure how long.

One uncle retired from the Air Force.

I was unable to enlist after high school because I was hit by a drunk driver when I was 11. Messed my leg up, causing a 12% disability. They would never have accepted me.

Brother in law was in the 82nd during the Persian Gulf War.
                      His dad was a marine on Iwo Jima....has a bronze star with clusters.

Mark
                      Deo Vindice
                      Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you want peace, prepare for war.)

Comment

Originally posted by Shane Sohnle

Uncle sank with the HMCS Athabascan during WWII.

Shane, who was he?
                        http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Well, on my dad's side my family has fought in every single American War since coming to Georgia back in the 1730s.

My dad served in the Air Force for four years and served two tours in Vietnam, leaving as a Staff Sergeant. My Uncle served in the Army. He was drafted, but then he volunteered for Vietnam and served with the 1st Cav. He made E-5 (Sergeant) four times and was busted three times. Both of them were pretty decorated. My paternal Grandfather was career Air Force, serving in WWII and Korea. He retired as a Master Sergeant. Of my four paternal Granduncles (that's actually the proper term), three were career military. There was an Army Colonel, an Air Force Colonel, and an Army Sergeant Major. All of them served in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam (I've heard quite a few stories). My other Granduncle also served in the Army in Korea.

On my mom's side my one Uncle was killed in Vietnam in 1967, serving with the 173rd Airborne as a Medic. My maternal grandfather was also a Medic in WWII. He was at Pearl Harbor and later served in the Philippines. I have seven maternal Granduncles. Suffice to say, six of them served in WWII (5 Army, 1 AAF, and 1 Navy) and four of them saw combat (3 Army in Europe and 1 Navy in the Pacific).
                          "Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for"
                          "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching"

Comment

Originally posted by Janos
                            My wife is in the Korean royal family, with a long list of generals, kings and admirals going back thousands of years.
                            Wow, does that mean you're royalty too? All hail Prince Janos. :bowdown: :bowdown:
                            "Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for"
                            "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching"

Comment

On my fathers side.

Myself-USMC Kosovo and OIF

Father-USMC and Airforce 65-68 Vietnam

Brother-USMC ODS, OIF and Panama

Uncle Barry-USMC 65-68 Vietnam

Uncle Tom-USMC 67-68 Vietnam

Uncle Steve-Navy 68-70 Vietnam

Uncle Mike-USMC KIA 66-67 Vietnam

Uncle John-USMC MIA 66-67 Vietnam

Uncle Ron-USMC MIA 66-67 Vietnam

I have almost no clue about military service on my mothers side.

Semper Fi

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X