Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whatever hapened to flamethrowers?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Whatever hapened to flamethrowers?

    Whatever hapened to flamethrowers? Were they outlawed? I always thought that setting someone on fire was a splendid way to make them leave you alone on a battlefield.
    Minister Of Propaganda For Sinister Inc.

    "Look! The enemy is inviting us to defeat them! We must oblige them!"

  • #2
    Re: Whatever hapened to flamethrowers?

    Originally posted by Stage
    Whatever hapened to flamethrowers? Were they outlawed? I always thought that setting someone on fire was a splendid way to make them leave you alone on a battlefield.
    Replaced by Napalm.


    Cheers!


    :armed:
    Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

    "I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

    What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

    Comment


    • #3
      You also need to think how they are on the person that has to carry it. Bulkiness, the fact they like to explode. Can't reload easy when it is empty and it doesn't carry much to start with.

      I heard they were working on weapons that could throw flaming spheres though.
      The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

      Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

      Comment


      • #4
        Great balls of fire!

        Comment


        • #5
          Wouldn't want to be on either end of a flamethrower!
          "War is the remedy our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want."
          General William "Uncle Billy" Sherman

          Comment


          • #6
            Or around the guy holding one!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Storm
              Or around the guy holding one!
              Movies are no help in a fair assessement of the thing. It's Hollywood's recently resurgent favorite "gag" - where there is a portable flamethrower, the guy holding it takes shrapnel in the tanks & it cooks off on his back - witness the deal in "Hell is for Heroes", "Tobruk", "Windtalkers", "Pvt. Ryan" to name a few.
              Yawn......
              Gus

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Gus
                Movies are no help in a fair assessement of the thing. It's Hollywood's recently resurgent favorite "gag" - where there is a portable flamethrower, the guy holding it takes shrapnel in the tanks & it cooks off on his back - witness the deal in "Hell is for Heroes", "Tobruk", "Windtalkers", "Pvt. Ryan" to name a few.
                Yawn......
                Well it may not happen every time but the odds are quite likely.
                The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

                Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

                Comment


                • #9
                  When I was in the Army a few years back, (OK, about 20 years ago or so) they had a launcher that fired WP rockets. It was similar in size to a LAAW, but was squarish in x-section, and had 4 launch tubes. I don't recall the M-XX designation, and I have not seen it in any news reports, not even in Gulf War 91. I guess the M-203 or its successor replaced them both. Have to be honest, I have not really kept up on all the hardware in recent years.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Gus
                    Movies are no help in a fair assessement of the thing. It's Hollywood's recently resurgent favorite "gag" - where there is a portable flamethrower, the guy holding it takes shrapnel in the tanks & it cooks off on his back - witness the deal in "Hell is for Heroes", "Tobruk", "Windtalkers", "Pvt. Ryan" to name a few.
                    Yawn......
                    You can add the "Lost Battallion" from WW I to the list.......but it DID happen. Being assigned the flamethrower was about as popular on land as being the ball turret gunner in a B-17 was in the air.
                    Lance W.

                    Peace through superior firepower.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I thought flamethrowers were illegal now under U.N. rules.
                      There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        it was,pure and simple,a horrible weapon.
                        i yam what i yam and thats what i yam!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          They might be....

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by jthomas
                            When I was in the Army a few years back, (OK, about 20 years ago or so) they had a launcher that fired WP rockets. It was similar in size to a LAAW, but was squarish in x-section, and had 4 launch tubes. I don't recall the M-XX designation, and I have not seen it in any news reports, not even in Gulf War 91. I guess the M-203 or its successor replaced them both. Have to be honest, I have not really kept up on all the hardware in recent years.
                            M-202.


                            Quoted from FM3-06 chapter 7

                            7-7. FLAME WEAPONS

                            The use of flame weapons, such as Fougasse, the M202A1 Flash, white phosphorous, thermobaric, and other incendiary agents, against targets is not a violation of current international law. They should not, however, be employed to just cause unnecessary suffering to individuals. The use of flame weapons should be addressed in the ROE. Flame weapons are characterized by both physical (flame and overpressure) and psychological casualty-producing abilities. Flame does not normally need to be applied with pinpoint accuracy to accomplish its mission. Efforts must be made to ensure that certain types of flame munitions effects do not spread to structures needed by friendly forces. Large fires in urban areas are catastrophic, and these fires can create an impenetrable barrier for hours. The most common US flame weapons currently employed are the M202A1 Flash, flame field expedients (Fougasse), and the M14 TH3 incendiary hand grenade. In the future, the M202A1 Flash may be replaced by a new shoulder-fired, thermobaric warhead, soft-launched rocket to support soldiers.


                            (Italics and bolding mine.)

                            Cheers!


                            :armed:
                            Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

                            "I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

                            What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              :thumb:

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X