D Day Respects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D Day Respects

I SUGGEST THAT THIS THREAD WOULD BE FOR PEOPLE TO PAY THEIR RESPECTS TO THE MEN WHO PARTICIPATED IN D-DAY.
    IN EVERYONES OWN WAY.
    BE IT A BIT OF INTERESTING HISTORY.
    A STORY OF YOUR GRANDFATHER, OR ANYBODY YOU KNEW WHO HAS OR HAD A STORY ABOUT D-DAY.
    A POEM.
    A PHOTOGRAPH.
    OR ANYTHING THAT COMES TO MIND.
    PLEASE LET US KEEP THIS ONE RESPECTFUL, THE HUMOUR WITHIN GOOD TASTE, AND FREE OF DISPUTE.
    EVERY MAN OF EVERY NATION OF THE ALLIED EXPEDITIONARY FORCE WAS A HERO, AND WE OWE OUR LIVES AS THEY ARE TO THEM.
    THIS THREAD IS FOR THEM.
    Last edited by 17poundr; 25 Feb 06, 07:15.
    "SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM" - " If you want peace, prepare for war".

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

Thank God for all the men who were willing to fight and die for their country (and for the entire world). May each of them rest in peace for a job well done.

“The enthusiasm, toughness and obvious fitness of every single man were high and the light of battle was in their eyes.”
    Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated... again...

Comment

Re: D Day Respects

Originally posted by 17poundr
      I SUGGEST THAT THIS THREAD WOULD BE FOR PEOPLE TO PAY THEIR RESPECTS TO THE MEN WHO PARTICIPATED IN D-DAY.
      IN EVERYONES OWN WAY.
      BE IT A BIT OF INTERESTING HISTORY.
      A STORY OF YOUR GRANDFATHER, OR ANYBODY YOU KNEW WHO HAS OR HAD A STORY ABOUT D-DAY.
      A POEM.
      A PHOTOGRAPH.
      OR ANYTHING THAT COMES TO MIND.
      PLEASE LET US KEEP THIS ONE RESPECTFUL, THE HUMOUR WITHIN GOOD TASTE, AND FREE OF DISPUTE.
      EVERY MAN OF EVERY NATION OF THE ALLIED EXPEDITIONARY FORCE WAS A HERO, AND WE OWE OUR LIVES AS THEY ARE TO THEM.
      THIS THREAD IS FOR THEM.
      Yeah, my Scoutmaster was a D-Day veteran. He didn't speak of it much, other than to say he had never been more scared. As with all our veterans, we owe the highest regard and praise to those men who hit the beaches 60 years on tomorrow. Nobody was certain that the landings would be successful, and, had they not been, who knows what our next move would have been. Though the casualty count was considered light, it was nonetheless a harrowing experience for all. I have no doubt that several of those who made it off the beach sat and wondered why it was the man next to them who died, rather than them. I had to be hard to be facing such a volume of fire, see the dead and dying all around, men screaming and crying. We owe them all a colossal debt of grattitude we can never repay.
      Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
      (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Alltho' most of you know that my family fought on "the receiving end" at Normandy, I am pleased that those who prize humanity were successful in their landing and that, through their victory, civilization was restored to Europe.

Let us always remember their sacrifice and ensure that we live in a way that makes their sacrifice worth their effort, and that we do our part to keep the world worthy of them. Those hours of their terror -- and surely it was -- led to a better world.

Remember them in your prayers today and forever.

JS
        Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
        Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
        http://www.mormon.org
        http://www.sca.org
        http://www.scv.org/
        http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

To all above Amen. This is the 3rd Annual D-Day movie special. I wake at 6:15 to watch Saving Private Ryan at 6:30 and when that is over Episodes 2 and 3 of Band of Brothers. I wish I could say I had family there but I don't know I should ask the genealogists in the family if they can find out.
          The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

"SUPREME HEADQUATERS
            ALLIED EXPEDITIONARY FORCES
            Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force!
            You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward
            which we have striven these many months. The eyes of
            the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-
            loving people everywhere march with you. In company with
            our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts,
            you will bring about the destruction of the German war
            machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed
            peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free
            world.
            Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is
            well trained, well equipped and battle-hardened.
            He will fight savagely.
            But this is the year I944 ! Much has happened since the
            Nazi triumphs of I940-4I. The United Nations have in-
            flicted upon the Germans great defeats, in open battle,
            man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced
            their strength in the air and their capacity to wage
            overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of
            war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained
            fighting men. The tide has turned ! The free men of
            the world are marching together to Victory !
            I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to
            duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less
            than full Victory !
            Good Luck ! And let us beseech the blessing of Almighty
            God upon this great and noble undertaking."
            The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Comment

Have just been watching the ceremony at Arronches (sp?), France. Chicac being presidential, giving out medals to some selected vets (good job, Jacques). A good number of the elderly gents, each with dozens of medals. Looks like a heck of a show. I wish I were there.

JS

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:

Comment

Thank you to eveyone that fought on that day and the days to follow. Thank you Grandpa.
                Attached Files
                "If we have to give these bastards our lives, we give them hell before we do! " - Cpt. Mifune, The Matrix Revolutions

Comment

Originally posted by Janos
                  Have just been watching the ceremony at Arronches (sp?), France. Chicac being presidential, giving out medals to some selected vets (good job, Jacques). A good number of the elderly gents, each with dozens of medals. Looks like a heck of a show. I wish I were there.

JS
                  That was Arromanches. It's a lovely little town on the seafront.

Great show they put on wasn't it? Those massive screens were very effective. Fantastic weather they had for it as well.

I wish I'd been there too.

Dr. S.
                  Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister
                    That was Arromanches. It's a lovely little town on the seafront.

Great show they put on wasn't it? Those massive screens were very effective. Fantastic weather they had for it as well.

I wish I'd been there too.

Dr. S.
                    It really was good -- in fact, since I saw on BBC, we probably saw the same broadcast.

I agree on the big screens. I need to get those for my back yard for a cookout next summer.

JS

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:

Comment

Saw it and the American-French ceremony too. They were both wonderful except at the American-French I believe the colorguard for the Airforce (He was to the Navy's right and holding a blue banner) must have locked his knees and passed out...

Comment

Originally posted by BarcelonaBlom
                        I believe the colorguard for the Airforce (He was to the Navy's right and holding a blue banner) must have locked his knees and passed out...
                        Well, those things happen.

JS

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:

Comment

Alltho' most of you know that my family fought on "the receiving end" at Normandy, I am pleased that those who prize humanity were successful in their landing and that, through their victory, civilization was restored to Europe.

Germany today is one of the most peace loving and tolerant countries in the world.
                          I know because I have travelled there many times in my youth, doing Interrail, and the most interesting experience was when I went hitch-hiking through germany with a Israeli girl(well young woman), needless to say all the way through scandinavia (our objective was slovenia), she was waiting the stretch through Germany with somewhat apprehention. And she kept on saying how she felt much better that I was there, because she wanted me to do the speaking.
                          Well we passed through Germany with just three lifts (may I say that for hitch-hiking Germany is with the exeption of Spain, the best Country to thumb lift through, people are very accomodating).
                          Funny, when we had completed our journey, she said' the most kind people of the whole trip were in Germany, even though they had a slight moment of silence when they heard she was from Israel, they were so warm, and we slept the night at a Berliner woman's Appartment, who insisted we get one nights good sleep inside, not in a tent, and she fed us to go for the rest of the journey. Now, my Israeli friend said, ' I believe it is my destiny to meet only the nicest people from germany, so that I can pass on the message that Israeli's or any other people cannot hate the germans for what happened all those years ago, Nazis'm is a desease of the mind that can affect any nation of people, given the wrong circumstances.
                          And, unfortunately, Hitler had made everyone so paranoid, that in 43 to 44 there were at least ten different lots of officers secretly thinking how to get rid of him, but they could not network.
                          So, even if your great grandfather was in the ss, do not feel guilty, he was a victim of a kind of mass hypnosis. A sickness.
                          And if I'm not wrong you are a relative of a very noble German soldier indeed.
                          May I end this by saying that I saw yesterday on the 6 of 6, a bbc documentary, where they interviewed and replayed memories of men and women of all sides, American, Frank Capa, on Omaha, British para's, French resistance, and a German machine gunner on Omaha, he remembered, that during the three or four hours he shot some thirty thousand rounds at the US troops! And all the way he prayed... Later he has met Omaha survivors, and there Is no animosity between them, all had lived through a gruesome ordeal, and this year for the first time the head of state of Germany was there to pay his respects to the fallen too.

lest we ever forget.

Let us always remember their sacrifice and ensure that we live in a way that makes their sacrifice worth their effort, and that we do our part to keep the world worthy of them. Those hours of their terror -- and surely it was -- led to a better world.

Remember them in your prayers today and forever.
                          AMEN.
                          JS

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by BarcelonaBlom
                            Saw it and the American-French ceremony too. They were both wonderful except at the American-French I believe the colorguard for the Airforce (He was to the Navy's right and holding a blue banner) must have locked his knees and passed out...
                            I served in the Honour Guards of Finland, standind in front of the President's palace, and you fall into a kind of trance.
                            All of a sudden the pain in your legs goes away, and you snap out of it when the relief guard comes, sometimes an hour and a half had passed.

Comment

It really was good -- in fact, since I saw on BBC, we probably saw the same broadcast.

I agree on the big screens. I need to get those for my back yard for a cookout next summer.

JS
                              I looked at bbc all day long, exept when Finland tv showed the two hour documentary i mention above.
                              Now you keep good care of your self in there. Remember the first winter after the allies liberated germany, there was killings of Allied soldiers here and there, but in a year it dissappeared.
                              Lets hope the worst is over in Iraq.
                              All my respects to you , you are in the vanguard now.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X