Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So much for the British understatement and stiff upper lip.

Some of you have gotten carried away. TL was/is a good member. We have others come and go but shedding tears.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

youíre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

• On topic

NOW please get on topic.

WE KNOW were Tuck's Luck is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
        So much for the British understatement and stiff upper lip.

Some of you have gotten carried away. TL was/is a good member. We have others come and go but shedding tears.
        That bit about Brits is just another part of Stereotyping.

People are PEOPLE -
        All Colours, all Nationalities, all Religions -
        Some Nice, some Nasty, some Caring, some Not, some Indifferent, some Angry, some Sad, some Happy, some Embitered, some Enthusiastic.
        We are all Individuals.

Sorry, no more Off - Topics from me - lips buttoned.
        G.M. - Sci Fi Game - the "Krissyverse"
        Darius Jarvinger - Prime Minister of The Phoenix Confederation
        Kris Martins - President of Attican Republic
        Kaar Kristoff - Minister of Interior of The Phoenix Confederation

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuck's Luck View Post
          Hi Guys,

First of all, I just want to stress that my decision to quit the forum was completely voluntary.

I told Skob I wanted him to delete my membership .. obviously that hasnít happened or I wouldnít be posting. I did try to delete all I could, but the facility is limited, so that was that, and I left. I did make a point of staying in touch with a couple of friends Iíd made on here, but other than that, I decided it was time to move on.

Why? I can BS, or I can tell the truth .. so Iím going to go for the latter, and my opinion (right or wrong) is that this forum isnít a place for women. For starters you are outnumbered by several thousand to one, and secondly Ö there are some appallingly sexist gits on here, which makes life very uncomfortable Ö at least, thatís my experience. For a while I tried to give as good as I got. But thereís a flogging a dead horse smiley on here .. and I came to realise that whoever it was who designed this wonderful forum, put it there for a reason.

There are a tiny handful of amazing female posters on here and a female mod and I take my hat off to all of them. They all know who they are .. and with one exception, they all made me feel extremely welcome, were supportive and friendly to me personally, and I am so very grateful for that. Long may they continue to post here. I feel a bit of a failure in baling out in that regard, but I weighed it all up and that was my decision.

A woman on a male dominated forum is one thing. A woman with an opinion and a degree of patriotism on a male dominated forum is another matter entirely and not one for the faint hearted. Iím no shrinking violet, but in the end, even I had to admit defeat. For the most part the experience here was great and I am so very thankful for the mates I made on here, and who I hope will continue to stay in touch.

But.

The buts were coping with the sexism, and the obvious anti British sentiment which reared its head in thread after thread after thread. If there was any basis of truth in it, Iíd have stayed and fought my corner, but how can one argue against some of the out and out bigoted, stereotypical BS that gets repeated on here time and time and time again? It runs through this forum like a worm .... on threads from the colonial wars to the second world war, to modern day diet, to weather, to teeth, to physical appearance, to attitudes about sex, to sexual prowess and on and on and on .. and it is so out of date, and ignorant and bigoted and inaccurate .. that there comes a point when you have to think to yourself .. why I am even bothering to attempt to counter these arguments?

I got an email and a phone message today telling me to have a look on here because ĎI was missedí. So I spent half an hour reading .. and even on threads like the 'Marmite' thread Ö the same old stereotypical, nationalistic shite is apparent still Ö the Brits will eat anything blah blah Ö and so effing ignorant, not to mention boring, it just reinforces completely why I wouldnít want to stick around here.

The sad thing is I am so pro American it ainít funny. My kid sister lived and worked there for over 20 years and I went back and forth many times, made a lot of good friends and came to love America. But it isnít the paradise a sizeable proportion of the US posters seem to think it is. It isnít superior to the rest of the world, it isnít better or more free or more special and the food is as hit and miss as it is anywhere else ... same as in any of the other countries represented on this forum. Itís just another country, a big, powerful one I agree, but it doesnít set the bar for good places to live on this planet of ours, and some of the Yanks (and a few of the Canadians as well) would do well to realise that.

When Iím walking on the Sussex downland above my home on a glorious Spring day, through the cornfields and the pastures and looking out over the English channel across to France, there is nowhere else on earth Iíd rather be (apart from Wales of course). When Iím sitting in my garden listening to the house martins and the blackbirds and the swallows and checking on my tomato plants and courgettes and basil and parsley, and my jasmine and honeysuckle growing up the trellis Ö. and just soaking it all in .. thereís nowhere else Iíd rather be. When I look at my two beautiful tall British/Welsh blonde, intelligent, bright, funny, creative children, why in hell would I would spend to time on a forum that tells me British people are ugly and uptight and have bad teeth? This little island is beautiful, truly Ö , there are as many good looking people here as anywhere, and yeah, fat, ugly, old thin, deadbeat people as anywhere else. America included. Why the hell you people delight in ripping the sh*t out of it at every opportunity is beyond me? Seriously. Is someone going to tell me it's just sport and you don't really mean it? In the few months I spent here ... it's pretty apparent to me, that you mean it.

Iíve only grazed the tip of the iceberg if Iím honest in terms of why I decided to ship out of ACG. Being female, and a Brit, and Welsh (which means I even find myself at odds sometimes with some of my British compatriots) .. is like being a third world citizen on here. So really, whatís the point of continually setting yourself up for bigoted, sexist, ignorant arguments that eat into your time and leave you feeling depressed and disheartened?

This little island grew and produced enough food, wood, minerals, fuel Ö to conquer half the planet, so it clearly isnít the barren, grey depressed hunk of land you all seem to think it is. It founded democratic institutions that all of you, Yanks included base your whole social and political structure on. I am grateful to some of the Aussies and Kiwis on here .. who do indeed live in a paradise and yet, are willing to acknowledge that the old country ainít so bad after all. Some of the Yanks and Canadians on the other hand Ö well I wonít go there, other than to stress that it was a tiny minority, but enough of a minority to make me want to head for the exit.

I would love to list all the posters who made my time here special, but if I were to do that Iíd miss someone out and that wouldnít be good. Suffice it to say they came from Portugal, Israel, Russia, Laos, Australia, Wales, New Zealand, Germany, France, Ireland, Scotland, Poland, Italy, Canada (with a couple of notable exceptions) USA (with a few notable exceptions as well) .. even just listing countries I know Iíve missed a couple but the experience has been overwhelmingly positive. Iíd like to say a very special thank you to a Yorkshireman with a heart of solid gold who I hope will stay a friend for life, an old Aussie/Brit who commands my utmost respect and a Yankee guy (originally from the North but now) from the South, who within a couple of weeks of me being on here, sent me a book, because he'd read my posts and seen I was interested in a certain subject. There's also another guy on over the pond who is a star on the music thread, whose posts I will miss. You all know who you are, and I want you to know you've got a friend in the UK.

If anyone else would like to stay in touch with me, I hope he wonít mind me saying, but if you pm The Von .. Iím more than happy for him to pass on my email.

All the best.

Jennie
          x
          Well Tuck, I can safely say I'm not one of those few exceptions from Canada. As a Canadian I am proud of my British heritage, as everyone on my Mom's half came from there.

I also think most of the stereotypes about the British are some of the least true stereotypes around. Some stereotypes are quite accurate, but the ones about the British are not. For example, all this talk about the British being ugly or having bad teeth is just idiotic. Britain is actually home to the best looking women in the world.

Those seeking further evidence may contact me via PM.

As for food, while British grub may not compare very well to Italian or French cuisine, the British have some good stuff. I am very thankful that Canada was once a British colony, I don't think I could live without tea. British High Tea is the best thing they have going for them IMO. Just thinking about all those cakes and scones makes my mouth water.
          A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

Comment

• He's been out since 3 May. His son is fighting cancer. There is a thread here in the barracks I started wishing him well. You need to post in it. RK

Originally posted by Super-7-Up View Post
            Kaiser Franz.

He wasn't here since last 2 weeks or so. I wonder if he will ever get back in the forum.
            This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Destroyer25 View Post
              Well Tuck, I can safely say I'm not one of those few exceptions from Canada. As a Canadian I am proud of my British heritage, as everyone on my Mom's half came from there.

I also think most of the stereotypes about the British are some of the least true stereotypes around. Some stereotypes are quite accurate, but the ones about the British are not. For example, all this talk about the British being ugly or having bad teeth is just idiotic. Britain is actually home to the best looking women in the world.

Those seeking further evidence may contact me via PM.

As for food, while British grub may not compare very well to Italian or French cuisine, the British have some good stuff. I am very thankful that Canada was once a British colony, I don't think I could live without tea. British High Tea is the best thing they have going for them IMO. Just thinking about all those cakes and scones makes my mouth water.
              Yeah, but you gotta' wonder about a culture that produces a dish called "spotted dick." Sounds like one of the myriad social diseases the Von carries around with him..
              "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

• Originally posted by johnbryan View Post
                Yeah, but you gotta' wonder about a culture that produces a dish called "spotted dick." Sounds like one of the myriad social diseases the Von carries around with him..
                'Toad in the Hole' might get a few laughs too. Funny as it sounds though, I used to enjoy Toad in the Hole with gravy, when I was a kid growing up in the UK.

(P.S. I think Aussie women are the best in the World btw but the British certainly have some beautiful ones too, as do most other nationalities. )
                "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

• Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
                  'Toad in the Hole' might get a few laughs too. Funny as it sounds though, I used to enjoy Toad in the Hole with gravy, when I was a kid growing up in the UK.

(P.S. I think Aussie women are the best in the World btw but the British certainly have some beautiful ones too, as do most other nationalities. )
                  We still do enjoy Toad in the Hole - four weeks back, was last time.
                  We only do "proper" dinners at the weekend - butties otherwise.

Seen some good looking gals from all over the world - even Russian ones. My Karen is from Yorkshire, via Cambridge.
                  G.M. - Sci Fi Game - the "Krissyverse"
                  Darius Jarvinger - Prime Minister of The Phoenix Confederation
                  Kris Martins - President of Attican Republic
                  Kaar Kristoff - Minister of Interior of The Phoenix Confederation

Comment

• Originally posted by johnbryan View Post
                    Yeah I gotta give you that one. The British have some odd sounding food.

But High Tea makes up for it all IMO.
                    A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

Comment

• Toad in the Hole haven't had that in ages.

Comment

• Jennie, I have been out of state on holiday but I am truly saddened that you have left us here at ACG..I wish you the best in everything you do and will miss you very much..please drop in and say hello when you get a chance..
                        Warmest Regards,
                        Robbielynne
                        "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
                        "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Where is Roadkiller? He last logged in during March, but hasn't posted since January. Come on back Art!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Ibis View Post
                            Where is Roadkiller? He last logged in during March, but hasn't posted since January. Come on back Art!
                            Since he came ashore he has become a Staff Puke with a lot of paper to move from desk to desk.

Art is one of my good ones. I always felt like part of his crew when he was still at sea.

RCN

Comment

• It's like American bashing,you Americans get hurt right? well same as when peole steotype the British people-
                              Slick did it,he keep on posting ugly pix of English men and not aknowleaging that the English does have good looking men....he pushed her too far! I can see her point of view,I can see alot of attack against the british - bad cooking,bad teeth,ugly men; no wonder she left! unlike me, my country does not get attacked in bad manner like her country does.

Comment

• Where the hell is 'les Brains' ???

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X