Bush, Kerry and Hypocrisy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush, Kerry and Hypocrisy

The indecency and shallowness of partisan politics...

Opinion at FOXNews.com

excerpts:
    But this year providence has delivered the Democrats a presidential candidate who had a sterling record in Vietnam -- three purple hearts, a Bronze Star, and a Silver Star. So liberals are badgering the younger George Bush about his own avoidance of Vietnam. For good measure, they've noted that Vice President Cheney and other leading Republicans also managed to avoid the military when it counted. They're hammering away at the question of whether Bush showed up for National Guard duty in Alabama.

And the Republicans? They're not just dismissing Bush's service record as old news. With amazing chutzpah, they've gone on the attack against Kerry: Was he really wounded all that seriously? Did he leave Vietnam earlier than he should have? Did he lie about throwing away his medals when he got back?

_______
    In time we hate that which we often fear.
    -William Shakespeare
    I hate it when I see one of those road signs that says "Draw Bridge Ahead" and I don't have a pencil.
    -Lou Chiafullo

To be honest, I don't have a problem with people who haven't served leading the country, but I always found it interesting that some of the most rabid chickenhawks always avoided service when there's a war...

What was Cheney's excuse? "I had other plans at the time." Or something.
    “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

I think both the Bush and Kerry camps are hypocrites! Bush et al dodged military service in Vietnam. Kerry probably tossed his medals, but now that he is using his war record he won't tell us the whole story.

I started a thread a few months ago about Kerry's positive war record in relation to Bush. It had some interesting posts. check it out if you are interested.
      All your ACG posts are belong to us!

Comment

I Agree

I don't like hypocrisy in any form. If you are going to impose a moral standard for behaviour, your own behaviour should conform to that moral standard. If you are going to advocate your nation going to war, you should sign up to serve in your nation's military. A chicken hawk is someone who has all the enthusiam for going to war, as long as he does not have to go.

My current vote for Chickenhawk-in-Chief goes to Richard "Dick" Cheney. He almost fought in Vietnam except he had "other priorities" at the time. By heading to college and getting married, he managed to avoid putting his life on the line for the United States. I believe that much of the bogus intelligence used to justify our fighting this war was pushed by Dick Chenney. Anyone who pushes that hard for a war should at least have some experience of serving his nation in the military.

I actually give Bush a pass on this issue. He served in the National Guard. Even though they didn't call up the National Guard for Vietnam, he had no way of knowing that the National Guard wouldn't eventually be called up. In addition, the Viet Cong were probably kept out of Mobile by the threat of George Bush in Alabama. He really didn't have to show up.

As for Kerry, he opposed the war after he served in Vietnam. I don't have any objection to someone who opposes a war they saw for themselves on the ground. He earned those medals he threw away. He paid for those medals with HIS blood. He formed his opinion by going to the war. I have no doubt that he would be an effective Commander in Chief. I have no worries on this score. He lead men into combat. I'm sure he would take as good of care of our soldiers, sailors, marines, and airmen as the next man.

Comment

Wonderful points, although, I highly doubt that Bush would have gone even if his unit had been called up. I have a feeling his family would have setup a nice transfer or something for him. I think what we've heard about his record shows he didn't put a whole lot of stock into being in the national guard (running off to drink and snort coke instead of ever showing up for training doesn't really seem like someone's taking his responsibilities seriously - and I certainly wouldn't want to be in a unit with him).
          “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Originally posted by Overseer
            Wonderful points, although, I highly doubt that Bush would have gone even if his unit had been called up. I have a feeling his family would have setup a nice transfer or something for him. I think what we've heard about his record shows he didn't put a whole lot of stock into being in the national guard (running off to drink and snort coke instead of ever showing up for training doesn't really seem like someone's taking his responsibilities seriously - and I certainly wouldn't want to be in a unit with him).

Is that really fair? We don't know what would have happened if that situation had occured. Remember, Bush Sr. fought in WWII.
            None of us have ever met the Bush family (probably). We don't know the first thing about them except for what we watch on TV, and that's only what the news people feel like telling us. I get really tired of people saying what a horrible human Bush is and they've never even met the man!!! Until we all meet him one on one and have a beer with the guy, let's try to remember that he has the hardest job in the world right now and the public expects zero mistakes in any form, real or imagined. No pressure!

This isn't aimed at you, Gepard. Please don't think it is. I'm just venting. I wish people would actualy support one of our presidents for once.
            Minister Of Propaganda For Sinister Inc.

"Look! The enemy is inviting us to defeat them! We must oblige them!"

Comment

Originally posted by Stage
              .....I get really tired of people saying what a horrible human Bush is and they've never even met the man!!! Until we all meet him one on one and have a beer with the guy, let's try to remember that he has the hardest job in the world right now and the public expects zero mistakes in any form, real or imagined. No pressure!

This isn't aimed at you, Gepard. Please don't think it is. I'm just venting. I wish people would actualy support one of our presidents for once.
              I don't imagine people necessarily think Bush is a bad person as opposed to a bad president.

I'm sure if I sat down with the guy for a BBQ and a couple of beer, we'd be best buds; but in the world of geo-political relations, a different skill set is required.
              I don't think Bush has it.
              Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

I personally get really tired of people saying that I should blindly support the president when I think he's one of the worst Presidents in the last 100 years...
                (And despite what it might seem on this board sometimes, I'm not even all that liberal, primarily I'm anti-Bush. Maybe it's just because I'm in political science, but I feel that the American President shouldn't make it policy to lie to the people, alienate the world, go after personal vendettas under the guise of an important cause, etc.)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X