Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hollywood of Today vs Hollywood of Yesterday

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hollywood of Today vs Hollywood of Yesterday

    This past weekend, with my laptop crashing, I have had the opportunity to catch up on some much need reading. I found a book on the history of the Stage Door Canteens. It makes me upset that the Hollywood that was around during WW2 and Korea were so in favor of supporting our men in uniform. Now it is so rare for Hollywood to say hey we support our servicemen and women. My two cents are that it has a lot to do with morality and how we were brought up in general. Movies over the years have changed from being a positive life to that of a negative one. I can also see that in today's music artist. From what I can see, is that mainly country and the old school rock bands of the 70s and 80s still support, but I have never seen the case of a rapper or heavy metal guy, do anything. Maybe I am ranting, or maybe I should have been born in an earlier time period. Thats me. Oh well
    Govenour Of Texas and all southern provinces. Kepper Of The Holy Woodchipper.

  • #2
    Re: Hollywood of Today vs Hollywood of Yesterday

    Originally posted by jdscott7280
    This past weekend, with my laptop crashing, I have had the opportunity to catch up on some much need reading. I found a book on the history of the Stage Door Canteens. It makes me upset that the Hollywood that was around during WW2 and Korea were so in favor of supporting our men in uniform. Now it is so rare for Hollywood to say hey we support our servicemen and women. My two cents are that it has a lot to do with morality and how we were brought up in general. Movies over the years have changed from being a positive life to that of a negative one. I can also see that in today's music artist. From what I can see, is that mainly country and the old school rock bands of the 70s and 80s still support, but I have never seen the case of a rapper or heavy metal guy, do anything. Maybe I am ranting, or maybe I should have been born in an earlier time period. Thats me. Oh well
    I do not believe you are mistaken, but I do not believe it is universal, that which you lament.

    A result of the ME 80s, is a movement towards self. Our society is moving toward a period where the self is more important than the group. As a result many do not see the difference between the servicemen and women who execute our national policies from the policies themselves, and those who create those policies. Not much different than the anti-war protesting of the 1960s and early 70s.

    Further, those stars, or those who think they are stars, are more radical in their stands, by focusing more generally, than specifically on the issues they feel strongest about. Unfortunately, they trhow out the baby with the bathwater, and our servicemen and women suffer.

    This analogy can be applied on any issue you wish, and teh result will likely be the same.
    Retreat hell, we just got here. Every Marine, a rifleman.

    Never let the facts get in the way of the truth.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Hollywood of Today vs Hollywood of Yesterday

      Originally posted by jdscott7280
      This past weekend, with my laptop crashing, I have had the opportunity to catch up on some much need reading. I found a book on the history of the Stage Door Canteens. It makes me upset that the Hollywood that was around during WW2 and Korea were so in favor of supporting our men in uniform. Now it is so rare for Hollywood to say hey we support our servicemen and women. My two cents are that it has a lot to do with morality and how we were brought up in general. Movies over the years have changed from being a positive life to that of a negative one. I can also see that in today's music artist. From what I can see, is that mainly country and the old school rock bands of the 70s and 80s still support, but I have never seen the case of a rapper or heavy metal guy, do anything. Maybe I am ranting, or maybe I should have been born in an earlier time period. Thats me. Oh well
      Gotta agree with you. Although there are many folks in Hollywood that support our troops, these days they are in a minority, not like the old days. Bruce Willis actually tried to enlist after 9-11! And actors and entertainers like Gary Sinise, Conan O'Brian, Jay Leno, a bunch of country stars, etc. have gone on USO tours. Mostly those who support the troops are the conservative, action stars. Don't get me wrong, there are some liberals in Hollywood that support our boys and gals, but most don't. And the musicians today (outside of country) are almost universally against the war. Even country has been infiltrated (ex. Dixie Chicks), but for the most part it still cranks out the patriotic tunes. I've never actually heard an anti-war country song.

      During the 60s, back when there was all the protest and hippies, there was that counter-counter-culture. It was led by country artists (like Merle Haggard, Marty Robins, etc.) and by the tough guys in Hollywood, like John Wayne and Robert Mitchum, etc. Country has continued its tradition, but Hollywood patriots number few and far between these days.
      "Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for"
      "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching"

      Comment


      • #4
        If it is any consolation I read a theory a few years ago about how there is a cycle of generations. Every 4th generation is supposed to be patriotic. 1770ís, 1860ís, 1940ís, 2030ís, if it is true the children being born today should be more like the ones that fought WW2, then the ones that fought Vietnam. :thumb:
        Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

        Comment


        • #5
          I understand the thread but Hollywood is preoccupied with two things: Being Hollywood and money.
          What is important is that Mister and Misses Everyday support the troops. People with sons, daughters, boyfriends, husbands, wives in theatre, anywhere in the World including the USA, or Canada, or any country remember that the soldiers are away from home and in some instances in combat, for them.
          Yes it would be nice for the Martin Sheens to be quiet and support your Armed Forces, but really should we care what he and other Peace Knicks think and want? They are a minority IMHO and the everyday people that work hard for a living are the ones that count.
          God Bless the military from all countries!
          http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

          Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

          Comment


          • #6
            The thing about the modern Hollywood is that it doesn't really support anything. As the above poster said, its primary concern is making money and providing entertainment (mostly the former, of course). I'm not saying I like that stance, but that's the way it appears to be.

            Decades ago, Hollywood was willing to actually SAY things - they provided us with thoughtful, meaningful movies that reflected upon the human condition, current affairs, making peace with the world, etc. Of course, not all movies were like that, but what I'm saying is that Hollywood was willing to make statements, moral statements or political statements, or whatever statements the moviemakers felt needed to be made.

            Nowadays, however, it's all about providing us with entertainment and then sending us home to comment on the excellent special effects or how attractive Jennifer Garner is. The last movie I saw that actually made a moral statement was Shrek 2, which basically told me not to judge people by outward appearances, a universally acceptable statement that nobody's going to raise a fuss about. No longer is Hollywood willing to tackle the REAL issues like Francis Ford Coppola did with Apocalypse Now (which brushed upon a lot of things).

            What is important is that Mister and Misses Everyday support the troops.
            All I can say about that is that Hollywood means more to most Americans that I particularly like to admit, so it really does matter what Hollywood says.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by tsar
              If it is any consolation I read a theory a few years ago about how there is a cycle of generations. Every 4th generation is supposed to be patriotic. 1770ís, 1860ís, 1940ís, 2030ís, if it is true the children being born today should be more like the ones that fought WW2, then the ones that fought Vietnam. :thumb:
              If that 4th generation stuff is true, then it also looks like every fourth generation America gets into an extremely big fight. I'm not saying we're not at war now, but look at those dates: Revolution, Civil War, World War II. Hope that part doesn't have to happen, but I do hope that the increase in patriotism occurs. And not just a spike, like after 9-11. I'm talking greatest generation, slog it all your whole lives, patriotism.
              "Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for"
              "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching"

              Comment


              • #8
                I would agree that few "mainstream" music stars of this generation are actively supporting our troops, but there are some exceptions.

                I would mention one. Kid Rock has actively supported the troops in the field. I know he was part of a USO tour in Iraq and Kuwait. He mentioned he didn't necessarily support everything Bush does, but he will always support the troops. The troops seemed to really appreciate him being there.

                I'm not a huge fan of his and I know he's taken some heat for his Superbowl performance, but he should be recognized for what he did for the troops.
                Lance W.

                Peace through superior firepower.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by GeorgiaDixie
                  If that 4th generation stuff is true, then it also looks like every fourth generation America gets into an extremely big fight. I'm not saying we're not at war now, but look at those dates: Revolution, Civil War, World War II. Hope that part doesn't have to happen, but I do hope that the increase in patriotism occurs. And not just a spike, like after 9-11. I'm talking greatest generation, slog it all your whole lives, patriotism.

                  I agree. It makes me F**KING SICK at how all the people who were sporting American Flag shirts and stickers on their cars right after 9-11 but let a few years pass and it's like "Oh, that was a long time ago. I don't want to stay mad at them anymore."
                  Minister Of Propaganda For Sinister Inc.

                  "Look! The enemy is inviting us to defeat them! We must oblige them!"

                  Comment

                  Latest Topics

                  Collapse

                  Working...
                  X