Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb question for computer techies!

Ok, first off I admit I'm not computer-savvy! ha ha

I ordered a new computer, but decided to keep my monitor, mouse and keyboard because i really like them and I don't need to spend extra dough.

When I get the new computer is there a certain sequence to install the three devices? Or should I just plug in all three pieces of hardware then hit the "on" button and let Windows XP do the rest?

Also, do i need the drivers for the monitor, keyboard and mouse? Viewsonic doesn't have drivers for my monitor (perhaps its too old?) at its website. Should I assume Windows XP will have drivers for this "plug and play" monitor and the other pieces of hardware?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

-Pat
    All your ACG posts are belong to us!

as long as your computer is plug and play, then it should work. But make sure you have em plugged in, before you turn the computer on
    Govenour Of Texas and all southern provinces. Kepper Of The Holy Woodchipper.

Comment

Technically - computers are not 'plug and play' - it is the operating system that allows it.

It kind of depends upon if your keyboard and mouse use the PS2 ports (and if your new computer has them) -chances are it has both PS2 and USB ports - so you should be set.

XP would use its own drivers for the monitor, keyboard and mouse - and unless your keyboard or mouse have any special feautres ( example - I use a Logitech one with buttons that work as internet short cuts, etc...) - or if your mouse has some extra buttons like the Logitech Marble mouse ( the newer ones at least can have) --

-> you shouldn't have any problem just plugging them all in and firing that new baby up.

(I have built about 11 -ok I sorta lost count) computers using OS' from Windows 95 - thru XP Home - so I have a bit of experience in doing the above) - have never needed a special driver for those things - to make the basic functions work - not since plug and play and possibly before ) . :thumb:

Comment

I always thought it was 'plug and pray'? anyway... XP should be smart enough on it's own to find 'older' drivers, only the newer stuff has to be loaded from disk.

Just remember to ground yourself before reaching in and touching the shiny things...
        If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

I build the darned things for a living. You should have no issues whatsoever with any of those pieces of hardware, unless they are 'feature rich', as Trauth mentions above...
          "When I am abroad I always make it a rule never to criticize or attack the Government of my country. I make up for lost time when I am at home."

Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by chrisvalla
            I always thought it was 'plug and pray'? anyway... XP should be smart enough on it's own to find 'older' drivers, only the newer stuff has to be loaded from disk.

Just remember to ground yourself before reaching in and touching the shiny things...
            good one! ha ha

Thanks for the replies. It doesn't sound like I will have a problem installing the hardware. I should have been more specific in the initial post but the Monitor is an older Viewsonic E790, Internet Keyboard from Microsoft (PS2? round plug), and an Optical mouse (with drivers) from Microsoft (USB).

Thanks again!

when I get this baby running with my cable internet connection I will rule the online gaming world in PONG!
            All your ACG posts are belong to us!

Comment

Round plugs on a keyboard don't always mean Ps2 -the older keyboards (really old that is) - used a bigger round plug -(I believe they are AT plugs - but am not positive on the vocabulary)..

In a worse case scenario - you might need to get an adapter to fit into a PS2 port .. best case is that it - fits - and it isn't even an issue - newer computers will have Ps2 ports. You'll be able to figure that out - when you plug it in. They run (probably) at most about $5.00.

also I can't imagine any situation in which you would even need to get inside of your computer -so nothing bad will happen if you ground yourself -- touch something metal -- but it probably isn't that necessary for that stuff (it is a different story when you open up the case)...

Comment

Re: Dumb question for computer techies!

Originally posted by Patrocles
                Ok, first off I admit I'm not computer-savvy! ha ha

I ordered a new computer, but decided to keep my monitor, mouse and keyboard because i really like them and I don't need to spend extra dough.

When I get the new computer is there a certain sequence to install the three devices? Or should I just plug in all three pieces of hardware then hit the "on" button and let Windows XP do the rest?

Also, do i need the drivers for the monitor, keyboard and mouse? Viewsonic doesn't have drivers for my monitor (perhaps its too old?) at its website. Should I assume Windows XP will have drivers for this "plug and play" monitor and the other pieces of hardware?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

-Pat
                Connect everything first, ESPECIALLY the keyboard and mouse, otherwise your new computer may throw a tantrum.
                Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
                (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X