The Marines want a few good me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Marines want a few good me...

My local Marine recruiter REALLY wants me in the Corps after he saw my ASVAB score (93)... Can all you Marines tell me some of the benefits (other than a nice looking uniform, both combat and dress?)
    The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

First of all, do not join the military unless you know exactly why you are joining. Have a goal. Be sure that whatever MOS you get (or are promised) has a future. Nothing against ground-pounders, but a technical or operational type skill will go a lot further than being handy with an M-16.

That being said, the one thing that can make the difference is the leadership, or perceived leadership, abilities you will gain. The aura of the Marines goes a long way.

I joined for a number of reasons, in no particular order. One, I had three friends who also enlisted at the same time, buddy system. Two, GI Bill, education and medical benefits. Three, training. Four, travel. Five, I consider myself a patriot. Six, develop discipline/self-discipline. Seven, I was tired of school, and wasn't ready to go to college yet. Eight, the dress blues are the best looking uniform going. Nine, the Navy had just gotten rid of the Cracker Jack uniform for enlisted. Etc, etc.

The most important reason was I realized I needed discipline. Not that I was a difficult teen, but I realized I needed that extra something to help me finish things I start. To start things that needed being done. I enlisted 1 month before my 18th birthday. Therefore I needed my parents permission. They were very impressed that I asked them for permission, when they knew I could wait another 30+ days, and do it without their blessings.

Again, know why you are enlisting, and know why you are selecting one branch over another. It has been almost 30 years since I took the ASVAB. By your comment, I will assume the scale is to 100. With your scores, you should be able to select from almost any MOS. As such, I suggest, that if you really wish to enlist, do your homework, and see what each branch has to offer. Of course, I am biased toward the Marines, but the Marines aren't for everyone.

If I had it to do all over again, I would. The best thing that ever happened to me, barring my wife and children. To this day, I use the skills taught to me while I served. Not a day goes by where I don't have a thought about the Marines pass through my mind. Not a day goes by where I don't use those lessons.

Finally, the thing that makes the Marine Corps stand out from just about every other branch of service in the world, is its sense of history and brotherhood. There are older, very prestigious units throughout the world's militaries. They have their traditions and legends. Few compare to what the Marines have done in the last 228+ years.

Many have tried to define what the Marine "thing" is. Even those who are marines have difficulty explaining what is to be a Marine. All I can tell you is, we are different from everyone else. We are a brotherhood.

To shorten and synopsize an old joke, "The Commandant of the Marine Corps is proud to be called Marine." (Basically, the General of the Army would not be called soldier.)

Do not go in starry-eyed about the mystique of the Marines. Choose wisely, because it is a life altering decision, not one to be taken lightly.

Semper fi!
    Retreat hell, we just got here. Every Marine, a rifleman.

Never let the facts get in the way of the truth.

Comment

Iron Mike is 100% correct in what he says. You should also be proud of your score as the highest you can score is 99. I scored an 88 in 1999 which is also very high, the average is 50-75. I come from a very wealthy family and it blew them away that I decided to join the Corps (I have a long history of family members in the Marines, brother, father and five uncles 3 of whom where killed in Vietnam, two of bodies where never recovered).

Even though I scored an 88 I took the hard road and decided on the combat arms field. I did not join for college money (The Corps offers very little as opposed to the other services, the Army can offer you up to 50+) or because I had nothing else to do I joined to serve my country and to honor a family tradition and to be the best of the best.

It was the greatest experience of my life. Ive been to multiple countries and cities in Spain, France, Italy, Malta, Germany, Croatia, Kosovo, Egypt, Morocco, Turkey, Greece, Iraq and many others.

First of all, do not join the military unless you know exactly why you are joining. Have a goal. Be sure that whatever MOS you get (or are promised) has a future. Nothing against ground-pounders, but a technical or operational type skill will go a lot further than being handy with an M-16.
      You are correct there also. But during boot camp its pounded into you that if your not infantry, artillery, 0311, 0351, 0811 and so on you ain't s**t. Hell the DI's make you want to see combat most of whom have. If you want a job after you get out if you get out you should pick one that is in aircraft maint. fixed wing that is.

Or if your a hard charger go the other route. No other MOS is respected more than the grunts. Its your choice. If you want me to point you in the right direction (I'm still in, I would go for Light Armored Reconnaissance) or LAR.

As to your quote. Thank god for the training I received. If had been an airwinger I would have never gotten the job with Blackwater Security in Iraq which pays over 190,000 dollars (Tax free). Because of the training in MOUT, CQB, UET and others I would still be looking for a job.

Semper Fi

Comment

I'm considering all the services, I:

1. Want military experience...
        2. College money (or go to I plan to Major in History)
        3. I can get jumped to E-3 automatically thanks to JROTC
        4. I understand what I can get into and what I want but the recruiter isn't giving me the go around I expected...He was quite straight forward and told me NOT to do Infantry, there are many more jobs I can do (and do better) and translate to the civilian world...
        5. Travel
        6. I know many, many, many, Marines...
        7. My dad is Navy and said if they got good educational programs, go ahead and go for it but choose something that you can fall back on if college doesnt work out...

Thanks all you "old salts"....
        The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

I'm with you there, Iron Mike, I joined because I badly needed discipline and self-discipline. My choice of service was entirely governed by which of them would give me the job I wanted. In the end, only one could make that guarantee (AF), and that's who I went with. My mom thought I was wasting myself, that I should go to college - but I knew I wasn't ready. I enlisted initially intending only one term, but I got hooked early, and stayed 11 years, until they separated me do to the end of the Cold War. I truly am happy the Cold War ended, but if it had not, I would be retiring in less than three years.
          Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
          (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Hogdriver, I went with the 4 year plan, while most of my buddies went for 3. I was informed that, if my initial enlistment was for 4 years, I would qualify for a bous if I re-upped. The argument was also sound, that if I decided to make a career our of it, I could get 20 years creit for about 18 years service. The story went: If you reup with 6 months of your EOS, you get full cresit for the original 4 years, since your next tour stared when you re-upped. So, do that 4 times, after the first tour, 5 4 year tours, 18 years actual service. I don't know if it really would have worked out that way. I was also told, that after my 4 years, I could re-up for another 6, and I would be halfway toward retirement. I figured, not bad, I could retire after 20 yrs, be under 40, and still have another career to go. Two retirement checks, and still be done before I was 60.

As long as you knew what you wanted, and went for it, and got it, it wasn't a waste. I still went to college, and am doing pretty wel, and I am not doing what I was trained or eductaed for. I was an electrician, I studied theater and history, and I am an intranet manager. Go figure.
            Retreat hell, we just got here. Every Marine, a rifleman.

Never let the facts get in the way of the truth.

Comment

Look Marines are Marines regardless of thier MOS. Every service thinks thier the best but we know we are. One of the reasons I picked the Corps is because they are one of the most respected military organizations in the world and thats the truth. I hope you will pick the Marines as your choice, you will not regret it. But you also need to think beyond you four years thats if you do 4 or 20+. The friendships I have made will last forever and Mike can attest to this any Marine past or present is and always will be your brother.

Iron Mike will also agree with this. The Corps is more than a service its a cult so to speak. Marines have and always will be fanatics about...well being Marines and thats the truth.

FYI in the entire history of the Marine Corps we have never lost a battle!

To Iron Mike and all the others Semper Fi brothers I love you all.

"If you wish to live beyond tomorrow don't mess with the white sleeves" Mohammad Farrah Adid

Semper Fi

Comment

I can look at this with a little different view. The military is the only thing I really ever wanted to do. Guess I took Leon Uris's book 'Battlecry' or '55 Days in Peking' a bit too seriously.

It wasn't the concept or college money (there wasn't much in that fashion in the mid-70's). The concept of being a Marine, the history, and the Tradition is what sold me. Hell when I left for Boot half the town didn't believe I'd really left for two weeks and some of the others had pools on how long I'd last.

The Corps, even more so than the other services, is a vocation, not a frigging adventure, or being all that you can be, but a term of true service.

It doesn't really matter what MOS you sign up for, other than it should be something that you want to do. (Think of the concept as work as play.) Don't settle for a second choice.

Being a Marine as Uris wrote is something you are 'till the day you die'. It will change you, Boot is designed specifically for that. The bumps are a little different but for generations the product has remained the same. When I see video of a graduation ceremony at MCRD San Diego, it looks little different than my own. It will give you a connection to people you would never think of.

When you die at the age of 70 in bed with a 18 year old blonde your Obituary may start with 'A former Marine...' We'll know the truth though.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X