Libya Halts Military Trade with WMD Proliferators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Libya Halts Military Trade with WMD Proliferators

Libya has announced it will halt all military trade with countries considered to be proliferators of weapons of mass destruction, including North Korea, Syria and Iran. The United States hailed the Libyan move as a "productive example" for other countries around the world.

The announcement carried by Libya's official news agency is a follow-on to its renunciation of weapons of mass destruction late last year, which has led to a renewal of political relations with the United States and an end to some U.S. sanctions against the Tripoli government.

The statement said Libya will henceforth not deal in any military goods or services with countries it considers to be of serious weapons of mass destruction proliferation concern.

U.S. officials say Libya is also preparing to renounce trade in missiles and missile-related equipment and know-how with countries that are not part of the 33-nation Missile Technology Control Regime, the MTCR.

The Libyan move drew an immediate welcome from the Bush administration's top arms-control official, Under-Secretary of State John Bolton, who called it an important step forward, and a further indicator of the seriousness of Libya's interest in abandoning weapons proliferation and rejoining the international community.

Mr. Bolton said Libya told the United States its self-imposed ban on military dealings applies specifically to North Korea, Syria and Iran, states he said are of "very great proliferation concern." He said North Korea over the years sold Libya hundreds of Soviet-designed SCUD ballistic missiles including at least five of the long-range SCUD-C variants, and that Pyongyang has been using missile earnings to, among other things, finance its nuclear weapons program:

"The sales of the SCUD-B's and the SCUD-C's over a period of time was a pretty substantial money-earner for the North Koreans," he said. "And as we know, North Korea has been the world's greatest proliferator of ballistic missile technology. They have used the hard-currency earnings from that proliferation to finance their nuclear weapons program. So this is a symbol by Libya of a decision not to have any further purchases from North Korea of any military goods and services, particularly on the missile front."

Full Story

_______
    [O]ur political kultur is polluted with politics, the politics of the left. Call it Kultursmog. It pollutes every area of life it touches with politics.
    --R. Emmett Tyrrell
    I hate it when I see one of those road signs that says "Draw Bridge Ahead" and I don't have a pencil.
    -Lou Chiafullo

Well good for them. I wonder what made Gadaffi change his behavior? Could it be worrying about how far down the list his country was on Bush’s hit list? Na couldn’t be
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Originally posted by tsar
      Well good for them. I wonder what made Gadaffi change his behavior? Could it be worrying about how far down the list his country was on Bush’s hit list? Na couldn’t be
      My thought exactly. Is he being sincere? Why the changes of positions? He used to hate the West?
      http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Maybe the old Colonel just got tired of being a pariah. If he has truly turned over a new leaf I think we should welcome him. He could be a great source of info to use against the North Koreans. That being said, I also think that the willingness to trust him can only be gained over time, our trust must be earned. Lets see how valuable he can be to the West.
        Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

There's no doubt he's been bad in the past and I have no doubt he's not completely clean now, but if he's willing to publicly and somewhat openly give it up, I'm for giving him a chance to make amends. Some of the info he can provide us has got to worth something down the road and if we have to place nice a little to get it, go for it.

I wouldn't necessarily open him with welcome arms and turn my back on him, but I wouldn't hold a gun to his back and force-march him where I wanted either.
          If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

Our PM, Tony Blair, actually claimed this miraculous conversion as something of a coup on his part - apparently the Libyans have been "courted" for some time by the British in an effort to get them to abandon their evil ways.

That's the way we were told it happened anyway...

Dr. S.
            Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Well if the Brits did it I say good for them!! We (meaning the West) have to do more of this or we’ll end up invading ˝ the countries in the world in order to be safe.:thumb:
              Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X