Open letter to President Bush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open letter to President Bush

seems international protest is getting louder.

source

Going to war, any war, is always a step back. A failure for democracy, development and understanding: a defeat for the whole of humanity!

We have always been for life and against violence, but particularly since 11 September 2001. However, the belligerent attitude of the US towards Iraq threatens the foundations of world co-existence and international law. These are foundations that began to be laid after two world wars and under US leadership precisely to prevent war in the future.

Despite the efforts of the UN and several states to moderate the US tendency towards unilateral action - Security Council Resolution 1441 reopened the path towards a diplomatic solution of the conflict - it appears beyond doubt that, ignoring the results of the UN inspections and the serious objections of many people, institutions and governments all over the world, you are determined to unleash a war against Iraq, one certain to cause even more death, misery and desperation to a people already oppressed, their endurance tested to the very limit.

Despite the disinformation campaigns, the great majority of world public opinion sees no reason for preventive war. Does the US government really believe that it is helping to build a more peaceful and democratic world, a fairer, freer and safer world with disinformation campaigns and preventive wars? Are you deaf to the indignant clamour that rises from all over the planet and from within your own country?

We call on you to remember your great responsibility before history and to use the enormous resources available to you to help humanity recover its faith in itself as your country has done in the past. Do not help spread the harsh message that only economic interests, linked in this case to oil and the war industry, can move the world's powerful to take action and sow more violence poverty and hate around the world. Respond to these problems in a spirit of solidarity, justice and aid. This is what humanity needs and what it expects.

We continue to share and understand the American people's grief and fear over the tragic events of September 11. But the best way to prevent this pain from being repeated and from spreading, to erase the seed of terrorism from the face of the world, is to do the opposite of what your are now doing. We call on you to take a radical change of direction to build peace, justice and development in the world.
    "The conventional army loses if it does not win. The guerrilla wins if he does not lose."

Henry Alfred Kissinger

sigh, the world was never short of wise and passionate voices, the pity, however, had always been that, few were heard and taken.
    Attn to ALL my opponents:

If you sent me your turn and after 24 hours, you still did not get anything from me, please be sure to post in the forum to ask for what is going on.

Remember, I ALWAYS reply within 24 hours, even if I do NOT have time to play my turn, in which case I will at least send you email to tell you that I will have to play it later, but I DO receive your turn.

Comment

Why???

Hello,

Why is it every time US goes to war, people aways think USA is going to cause like a few million civilian lives dead, and making Americans like they're THE monsters of this world.

The open letter begs us to remind ourselves of this "great" responsibility to the world, can you please tell me what this is? How come is it every time USA starts to do something right, the world chides us? Have the world done something to remove Saddam Hussein by either direct or indirect means?

Has the German intelligence agency been ordered to mount an indirect campaign in removing Saddam Hussein by any indirect means? Has the French intelligence agency penetrated Saddam Hussein's inner circle to gather some small but important tips about WMDs or other developments in Iraq? Has the Great Britain led the active voice in creating the world a safer place without America breathing down Great Britain's neck?

Have more than 100 countries of this world expressed any even once of remorse and eagerness in cooperating with each other to remove Saddam Hussein before my President Bush Jr. pushed through the UN resolution 1441 and others?

Indeed, to me, the open letter is a sham, a farce, a silly letter filled with hypocrisy because it's so easy to shout down USA's real efforts to help out the world.

Listen to me, stop making Americans to be the monsters of this world, stop making the USA's armed forces like thugs and goons eager to loot somebody else's country and murder that country's population in an ethnic cleansing. Stop making out my President like some dangerous mafia don. Saddam Hussein is the one who has done many horrible deeds far worse than my President Bush has done in his life.

USA's armed forces is a professional military organization and it knows how to wage wars, and it certainly know how to avoid collateral damage including civilian deaths.

Why are you acting like we're a bunch of bloodthristy animals when Saddam's people are far more dangerous than us Americans?

If you don't want USA to go to war, then can you at least send me an open letter suggesting some way other than diplomacy should that fail as well? Can you at least have decency to do that for me who must watch thousands of my fellow countrymen being sent to some distant country to die in the name of my country?

My older brother is in US Navy, are you going to call my older brother a monster because he is a professional in US Navy, and it might aim some missiles and aircrafts at some important targets? Are you going to call my older brother a baby-killer? Are you to stand up to my older brother and say, "I understand, but I have a better way other than diplomacy for this to be avoided?"

America is not a warmonging country nor it was ever to be. If it's true then I wouldn't want to live in that kind of country. I am not a warmonger, I do not love real world wars because they cost so many lives. I am not excited over sight of blood being spilled out of somebody, yet, you the world believes this nonsense. We go to wars because we believe in something so important.

At least have decency to accept that vision, and tell us what a good solution would be should diplomacy fail? There's always a chance that diplomacy will fail, so if that happens, can even Marko suggest a better way other than insulting my President and mocking American troops who are willing to die in the name of America?

Kraut, you seem to be a pretty smart person, can you do that? I know Marko will fail in that regard, but what of your country?

Dan
      Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

I see about 30 or so names at the bottom of the page - is that what you call world opinion?
        Take away Pearl Harbor and Marko would be writing in German Today.

Comment

Re: Why???

Originally posted by Cheetah772
          There's always a chance that diplomacy will fail, so if that happens, can even Marko suggest a better way other than insulting my President and mocking American troops who are willing to die in the name of America?
          Firstly, lets give diplomacy a chance before we decide whether it fails. If that seems to flounder then lets start en-forced inspections. Bring troops in British and American and find the WMD's. Put U2 planes over Iraq and find the stuff. Then when it has been found which it will if you look hard enough - you give Saddam an ultimateum - resign and re-locate or be destroyed. Simple. One man is causing this problem, not Mr and Mrs Ismir of Baghdad - do you understand my point ? As for brave US soldiers, have I ever EVER called them cowards ? I still have several very close friends serving in the Army. One arrived in Kuwait at the weekend. He is a combat engineer with the Royal Marine Commando's - and I am scared for his safety. So don't you dare try to label me as someone who has no disregard for soldiers - I am an ex-soldier despite what you may believe. I have always said I do not want war and I genuinely believe it can be averted. My problem with USA was/is simply there eagerness to go to war. If tomorrow twenty shells full of VX are found, do you think a single European would not sanction military force to remove Saddam - they all would if that 'smoking gun' was found. What is so wrong with that ? One man - Saddam, lets keep this in perspective for the sake of those who will suffer the most - the Iraqi people.

Comment

I think we should just put a ONE BILLION DOLLAR bounty for the "removal" of Saddam and replacement of his regime. First come, first served. It would be great to see every country in the world send in commando hit teams to take him out. What better way for North Korea to make that "hard currency" they are always looking for?

It would save lives AND solve the problem. And, best of all, it is dirt cheap compared to a full blown war! Give him to the bounty hunters!

Clearly the US still has options before sending in the cavalry.
            Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Originally posted by Siberian HEAT
              I think we should just put a ONE BILLION DOLLAR bounty for the "removal" of Saddam and replacement of his regime. First come, first served. It would be great to see every country in the world send in commando hit teams to take him out. What better way for North Korea to make that "hard currency" they are always looking for?

It would save lives AND solve the problem. And, best of all, it is dirt cheap compared to a full blown war! Give him to the bounty hunters!

Clearly the US still has options before sending in the cavalry.
              Now that is one cool idea..

Comment

That letter is nothing more than mineless propoganda. Bush provoked the UN to act and return the inspectors. Bush waited until the reports came in, even though he and everyone else knew Saddam would not cooperate. The United States has been anything, but aggressive in the past 12 years toward Iraq. Besides the occassional airstrikes, we've joined the world in a ignorant campaign of appeasement, that resolved nothing.

There is no misinformation. We see the that the world doesn't support an invasion. That doesn't mean we have to join them. It's easier to knock Bush and call him evil because he won't blow your head off. The only chance for avoiding war would be to get Bush to change his policy. Saddam won't.

We're not deaf. But we're not stupid also. I don't give a hoot about what the world thinks. My only concern is my country and troops. So what they say don't matter. Bush doesn't have to play to the world. He answers to the American people. If other countries don't do the same, I feel sorry for their people. While polls show support is slipping, it's only because American's are bombarded nightly with flag burning and all kinds of crap like that. They see people who they use to think as allies turning against us and are questioning their own government's position. The truth is Bush wrote a check and his *ss intends to cash. The world writes blank checks then try to deny their own signature.

STOP ASSUMING 9/11 IS THE SOLE REASON WHY WE ARE INVADING IRAQ!!!!!!!!! If it were 9/11 related, Saddam would be dead by now. I don't think about 9/11 everytime I draw my political conclusions. I judge the situation by it's own merits.

The US doesn't have to build peace, and all that. We do out of choice. Freedom is expensive. Security carries a high price tag. Whether these people know that or not might be the reason behind their letter. I want those WMDs. Saddam will either give them up voluntarily, or we're donna inflict some serious pain.

I don't like war. I know men, women, and children will get torn to pieces. However, it's the responsibility of Saddam Hussein, as the leader of Iraq, to do all that he can to protect them. The same goes for Bush and any other elected official. Should Iraqi's die in this conflict, I will feel bad, but I'll share the blood on my hand with the Iraqi leader who was more concerned with his power than his people.

Marko, I understand what your saying. However, diplomacy and spy planes can't disarm Iraq. Only Saddam Hussein knows where all the weapons are. No matter what we do, without cooperation from the Iraqi government, inspections will fail.

If Saddam coughed up a large quanity of his WMDs, or answered questions raised with concrete proof of Iraq's innocence, I would demand the President back down. However, Saddam continues to play us for fools. If he doesn't have anything to hide, then why is he lying so much? No one cares to answer that question.
                "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

Originally posted by arkai88
                  I see about 30 or so names at the bottom of the page - is that what you call world opinion?
                  I could look into who those people are at the bottom of the letter but I might be scared in what I find out. The first name is Noam Chomsky if that is any indication of who these people are.
                  "There is no great genius without some touch of madness."

Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

Comment

Guys, whatever people will say or do, I am quite sure there will be a war. The U.S. is going to war.

This means that at the last minute, everbody in Europe (I mean the governments) will all rally to Washington. They won't have a choice. The countries that won't rally the U.S. won't have a voice in the redesign of the region after the war, and this is even worse than going to war for countries like France and Germany.

And their current opposition is only a way to negotiate their participation. Simple as that.

Let's be realistic here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tzar

This means that at the last minute, everbody in Europe (I mean the governments) will all rally to Washington. They won't have a choice. The countries that won't rally the U.S. won't have a voice in the redesign of the region after the war, and this is even worse than going to war for countries like France and Germany.

I agree that the French and Belgium governments will get behind the war at the last minute. The French don't want to be left out in the cold. I don't think Germany and Luxembourg will however. Supporting the war would be suicidal for Schröder and his red-green coalition.
                      "There is no great genius without some touch of madness."

Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

Comment

Re: Re: Why???

Originally posted by Marko

Firstly, lets give diplomacy a chance before we decide whether it fails. If that seems to flounder then lets start en-forced inspections. Bring troops in British and American and find the WMD's. Put U2 planes over Iraq and find the stuff. Then when it has been found which it will if you look hard enough - you give Saddam an ultimateum - resign and re-locate or be destroyed. Simple. One man is causing this problem, not Mr and Mrs Ismir of Baghdad - do you understand my point ? As for brave US soldiers, have I ever EVER called them cowards ? I still have several very close friends serving in the Army. One arrived in Kuwait at the weekend. He is a combat engineer with the Royal Marine Commando's - and I am scared for his safety. So don't you dare try to label me as someone who has no disregard for soldiers - I am an ex-soldier despite what you may believe. I have always said I do not want war and I genuinely believe it can be averted. My problem with USA was/is simply there eagerness to go to war. If tomorrow twenty shells full of VX are found, do you think a single European would not sanction military force to remove Saddam - they all would if that 'smoking gun' was found. What is so wrong with that ? One man - Saddam, lets keep this in perspective for the sake of those who will suffer the most - the Iraqi people.
                        I think Americans are not 'over eger' but that we are instead fed up. Iraq possesed WMD in the 90's (They admitted to it) and have shown no proof that they destroyed them, quite frankly I think we just don't believe Sadamm. Most Americans believe and trust the government enough that if they say Saddam has WMD we see no reason for them to lie to us(to do so would be quite foolish, pissed of citizens are a bad thing)
                        Our troops will be the majority in the field and will probally take the majority of the causilties; so we defenitly understand the implimations of a ground war with IRAQ. It means not only will Iraqi's die but so will our people; in fact we realize that by attacking IRaq we might even be putting civilians in the surrounding countries at risk(WMDs)
                        As for U2 planes etc. Iraq is not allowing us to do this. He is hiding something, why else are the Iraqi's going to all this trouble?
                        Do people really believe we would make up the intellegence info presented at the UN today?

_Tim
                        Last edited by Tim McBride; 05 Feb 03, 23:50.
                        "Have you forgotten the face of your father?"

Comment

So without wanting to seem sarcastic lets look at the numbers. USA, UK, Spain and a few others are up for a conflict soon. The vast majority of the world want the inspectors to have more time, infact not just more time but unlimited time. Is the rest of the world so warped that they cannot reach the right decision. The USA and UK are in the minority. This small but concrete fact must be borne in mind when discussing the possibility of war. Also, the vast majority of the UK public do not want war. I am not sure who's post it was, but someone mentioned the effects of thousands of years of wars on the European psyche - they could be right. Or it could be that restraint needs to be primary objective, when dealing with a potential conflict.

No matter what way you look at it, the majority of the world wants the inspectors to carry on. Sorry, thats just the way it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Marko
                            No matter what way you look at it, the majority of the world wants the inspectors to carry on. Sorry, thats just the way it is.
                            The majority is not always in the right.
                            "Have you forgotten the face of your father?"

Comment

Originally posted by Tim McBride

The majority is not always in the right.
                              Yawn....yawn...yawn....do not try to justify your attitude. Alternatively I could say - the majority is normally right. Easy eh ?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X