Military History Time Period

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military History Time Period

Which genre of military history keeps you interested the most (i.e. books, movies, video games, etc.)?

I’m a fan of modern/Cold War combat. I am just burned out on World War II which kept my attention through most of my childhood and teen years.

How many different ways can people continue to write books about WWII anyway? At some point, isn’t just the same thing rehashed over, and over, and over, and over again?

Modern (Cold War, 1960 to present Day)
    0%
    20th Century (WWI, WWII)
    0%
    19th Century or earlier
    0%
    Slick
    -------------
    "Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid."

-John Wayne

Actually, I prefer the 'what if' post-modern period myself, though it's not exactly 'history' (well, not yet anyway).
    If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

Impossible Question

I like every era going back to ancient history. If you have never read The History of the Peloponnesian War by Thucydides, I would highly recommend this book. Finding good military histories before the 19th century is rather tough.

I've always had a huge interest in the Napoleonic Wars. However, works on this war can be tough to find in America. This is my favorite period to study military history. I'm not a huge fan of the American Civil War, but I have some military histories of the period. The largest section of my library is probably World War II.

I have a scattering of works about other periods of time.

Comment

Tough question. I went with 19th Century and before simply because it covers a little bit more time than the others.

Having read most of the German works on WWII in the 60s I am currently enjoying reading on the works based on the openning up of Russian archives and the first hand rank and file narratives from the Russian perspective.

ACW, British Colonial Wars, Napoleonic period,etc. etc. etc.

I currently have an eight foot stack of books waiting to be read and my wife has told me I cannot buy any more until I read them all.:terms:
        Boston Strong!

Comment

Mainly WW2 with the occasional foray into WW1.

Comment

1.WW2
            2.American Civil War
            Interested in most any conflict but read more about the above.
            "War is the remedy our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want."
            General William "Uncle Billy" Sherman

Comment

WW1 and WW2 but also 19th century
              http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

All of the above. I recently joined the History book club and my intro books are:
                Illustrated Battle Cry of Freedom,
                Sparta,
                Phelopennesian Wars,
                Universe in a Nutshell.

Also recent family history makes me interested in WWII, Korea, Vietnam.

Being a military technology junkie; I also like modern wars.

Cheers!

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by JSMoss
                  I currently have an eight foot stack of books waiting to be read and my wife has told me I cannot buy any more until I read them all.:terms:

He he he...me too!

I'm a sucker for a newly printed book in hardback. So, if a book comes out that I know I'll read later, I'll buy it.

The bad thing is my "Books To Be Read" (4-foot long) shelf is completely full. As a result, my wife has taken my Membership Discount Cards away as punishment.
                  Slick
                  -------------
                  "Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid."

-John Wayne

Comment

Pretty broad interests actually, but if I have to chose, I guess it's Medieval, then WBTS, then WW2 -- but please note that no era gets ignored!
                    JS
                    Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                    Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                    http://www.mormon.org
                    http://www.sca.org
                    http://www.scv.org/
                    http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Classical Warfare

I think I answered this one once before. While ALL military history interests me, I think I prefer reading Classical Warfare the most. The period 1000 BC to 1000 AD lacks our current levels of documentation but its the discipline and cold steel..or iron, or bronze, if you prefer. There's something quite fascinating of surried ranks facing off with scutum and gladius. On having to look the other guy in the eye before one or the other of you die.

Comment

Depends on the mood Im in. Im usually into Vietnam or WW2.
                        However,Im getting into American Civil War as of late.
                        Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

Originally posted by Slick
                          He he he...me too!

I'm a sucker for a newly printed book in hardback. So, if a book comes out that I know I'll read later, I'll buy it.

The bad thing is my "Books To Be Read" (4-foot long) shelf is completely full. As a result, my wife has taken my Membership Discount Cards away as punishment.
                          My wife is even worse. She can't understand why I would want to keep a book after I've finished reading it. The concept of a reference library is beyond her.

I answered 19th Century and earlier mainly because I've pretty well exhausted the 20th Century.
                          Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams
                            My wife is even worse. She can't understand why I would want to keep a book after I've finished reading it. The concept of a reference library is beyond her.

I answered 19th Century and earlier mainly because I've pretty well exhausted the 20th Century.
                            I think women just don't understand the needs of men to horde items of value or that might have value in the future.

I like most areas of warfare myself. But the 20th century and 21st are still closest to my heart.

Cheers!

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS
                              I think women just don't understand the needs of men to horde items of value or that might have value in the future.

I like most areas of warfare myself. But the 20th century and 21st are still closest to my heart.

Cheers!

I'll have to use that and compare my books to all of the shoes she has.
                              Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X