Jobs Going Overseas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jobs Going Overseas

I had to call Hewlitt Packard's customer service department today. I had the pleasure/displeasure of talking with a "dot" indian from across the pond. Now I am not trying to be racist or bigist here. We have been hearing lately here in America, that jobs will be moving overseas to cut down labor costs and to save the companies money. But what about the people here in America as well as Great Britian, that have lost jobs to these budget shortcuts. Its a bad deal all around. Not only are you having to deal with someone who has basically no knoweledge of computers, but have also taken jobs away. What do you think about this, or am I on another self rampage and beer binge :-D
    Govenour Of Texas and all southern provinces. Kepper Of The Holy Woodchipper.

If its any help many companies are discovering that sending jobs overseas isn’t paying off the way they had hoped. As a result some are coming back.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Originally posted by jdscott7280
      I had to call Hewlitt Packard's customer service department today. I had the pleasure/displeasure of talking with a "dot" indian from across the pond. Now I am not trying to be racist or bigist here. We have been hearing lately here in America, that jobs will be moving overseas to cut down labor costs and to save the companies money. But what about the people here in America as well as Great Britian, that have lost jobs to these budget shortcuts. Its a bad deal all around. Not only are you having to deal with someone who has basically no knoweledge of computers, but have also taken jobs away. What do you think about this, or am I on another self rampage and beer binge :-D
      Happening a lot over here as well. I know someone who tried to ring the local branch of his bank because he had lost his hat and he wanted to see if he had left it there. Found it impossible to actually speak to his branch, kept getting put through to Bangalore.

But the backlash against this sort of thing has already started.

Dr. S.
      Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Dell had moved their commercial customer service support back to CONUS. The complaint level was way too high for them.

Comment

Blame the Unions. They made it so you can barely afford to hire an American worker.

Companies are moving people overseas where people actually appreciate having a job, rather than take it for granted, and where people are there to work rather than pick up a check.

I learned in the old days when I was in retail to always hire recent immigrants. They actually show up for work, and when they arrive, they work better.

Sorry for being cynical, but its from experience.

JS
          Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
          Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
          http://www.mormon.org
          http://www.sca.org
          http://www.scv.org/
          http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

customer support

Outsourcing, if done properly, is actually a benefit. Technical support desk is about the most UNSKILLED job I have ever had the misfortune to come across.

The only problem I have with it is the language barrier mentioned. I mean, if you were running a business (i.e. Dell, and other tech firms) how can you justify paying someone (NONUNION!) 15$/hour just to sit and answer phones all day. And if you think that some product knowledge is required, it's not. Not even basic computer skills are necessary, as the problems are resolved by the higher engineers and then placed in a trouble ticket system that the operator just regurgitates over the phone.

Technical phone support is the crop picking and pant sewing job of IT, so the better it leaves then we can move forward to more skilled professions.

Comment

Re: Jobs Going Overseas

Originally posted by jdscott7280
              If one wants to place blame, the primary group that has influenced sending jobs overseas is the conglomeration of unions. These idiots priced themselves right out of their jobs, and then have the gall to allege that it was the companies that were responsible for the job shift. My uncle, upon retirement from Chrysler as a line worker, made more than $60 000/yr for a job that a monkey could be trained to do. Think about how much that salary adds to price of your vehicle.
              Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
              (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X