Commisioned officer insignias

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commisioned officer insignias

The young Ensign approached the crusty old Chief and asked him about the origin of the commissioned officee insignias.

"Well, Ensign, it's history and tradition. First, we give you a gold bar representing that you're valuable BUT malleable. The silver bar of a Lieutenant Junior Grade represents value, but less malleable. When you make Lieutenant, you're twice as valuable so we give you two silver bars. As a Captain, you soar over military masses, hence the eagle. As an Admiral, you're obviously a star. That answer your question?"

"Yeah, but what about Commanders and Lieutenant Commanders?"

"Now that goes waaaaaay back in history. Back to the Garden of Eden even. You see, we've always covered our pricks with leaves... "
    "Lord... forgive me my actions, speech and thoughts. Because, Lord, I am seriously going to kick some unrighteous ass in Your Name, Amen."
    Princess of Wands by John Ringo (Jan 2006)

http://www.baen.com/chapters/W200601...9232.htm?blurb

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
    Prawn heads
    by Karri
    How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
    Today, 11:40
  • Jose50
    Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
    by Jose50
    Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
    Today, 08:41
  • Von Richter
    Sagittarius Rising...
    by Von Richter
    Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
    Today, 01:19
Working...
X