Chirac says "Non" to Turkish EU Bid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chirac says "Non" to Turkish EU Bid

"The French president said Turkey needed to improve its human rights record and reform its justice system before being considered for EU membership."

This is a quote I got from an AP (associated press) report today. Chirac says that France would block Turkey's entrance until their human rights record and justice system was revamped. IMO it's because Turkey is predominately Muslim and Chirac fears backlash against his anti-religious symbols movement and he doesn't like how Turkey thought about letting American forces enter Iraq from the north.

Other than that....I think France's human rights record and justice system leave something to be desired....seeing as they used the guilotine well into the 20th century....
    France should be invaded and destroyed
    0%
    Eh....they're ok
    0%
    Oui, Oui I love zee French!
    0%
    Pvt. Bob Mana,
    Co. B, 3rd Maryland Vol. Infantry, 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 12th Corps, Union Army of the Potomac

For the Union

You know, a couple of weeks ago I was going to post a "What do you think of the French?" poll, but decided against it in case I got banned from the Forums forever.

And now look what you've done!

I'm really upset I wasted my opportunity now...

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Dummies who think a nation should be destroyed simply because they disagree with G.W. should be destroyed.

Comment

Re: Chirac says "Non" to Turkish EU Bid

Originally posted by PvtManaCoB3MD
        "The French president said Turkey needed to improve its human rights record and reform its justice system before being considered for EU membership."
        I voted eh...cause the other options didn't appeal. The thing to remember about the French is that they persue their agenda rabidly and don't care who they bowb in the process. And throw in the Gallic pride and you see what we have today.

Cheers!

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Good post Rstory. People seam to think the French are arrogant and ungrateful to the US for WWII.
          Yes they are a bit on the arrogant side, but the US is even more arrogant, most Americans think that if the US says it, it's correct and everyone should kow tow to us and do what theyr'e told.
          Thus came 9/11.
          We shouldn't anger the entire world so badly, because no empire lasts for ever.
          And about ungrateful, If it wasn't for france the US may not have existed. We weren't grateful eighther.
          All I'm trying to say is we shouldn't complain about arrogant nations when we are the biggest offender.

Comment

I thought that it was...

The "European Union" not the "French European Union" Just another attempt by the French to get that Empire...just not as bad when Napoleon tried.

As for not being thankful that the French Helped us gain our freedom from Great Britain.....how do you figure Paul Mullin?

We bailed them out in WWI and got their country back for them in WWII and assisted them with weapons and supplies in their bid to keep Vietnam. I think we thanked them enough.

And to say that our arrogance cost us 9/11......that's a bit outrageous. We've never tried to oppress anyone and we did not deserve 9/11 no matter how arrogant anyone including you, might consider us.

dog

Comment

I'm not too familiar with the rules and regs of the EU but can one country veto just like the UN permanent members can? Does the EU admit non European countries also?
              http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Paul,
                I don't necessarily agree with Bush all the time, I'm more of the anti-party party....I just don't like the French because of their constant ability to get us involved in their failed enterprises (Vietnam, WW2, WW1)
                I think they're arrogant just because thousands of soldiers gave their lives to save their stupid country and they throw it away. I'm sure there are French men and women who are decent people and they are the exception, but looking at election results and the governmental positions....they're morons, just like our government's a bunch of morons, dems and republicans alike! That's why I support Dr. Sinister.....he knows what he's doing!
                Pvt. Bob Mana,
                Co. B, 3rd Maryland Vol. Infantry, 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 12th Corps, Union Army of the Potomac

For the Union

Comment

PvtMana......its okay. The French don't like us either. They never have and probably never will. They've always had a strange kind of love/hate relationship with us. Yep, we bailed them out a number of times and they bailed us out a few times too. Of course we didn't bail them out because we loved them...we had our own agenda. A guy called Hitler who came pretty damn close to having it all his way. In the end he picked a fight with the two biggest bullies on the block and you know the results.

The French have had their time in the sun..in fact their time makes ours look paltry by comparison. Something on the order of a fifteen hundred years...kind of makes our little walk into the world scene a bit more objective. Go ahead, dislike the frogs...but it won't get you anywhere because as things stand there aren't too many people across the glode that think much of us either. Arrogance, certainly not! Just pride. What's that, you been reading the Good Book again.....Pride cometh before the fall!

Comment

Originally posted by PvtManaCoB3MD
                    That's why I support Dr. Sinister.....he knows what he's doing!

Dr. S.
                    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Re: I thought that it was...

Originally posted by moondog
                      And to say that our arrogance cost us 9/11......that's a bit outrageous. We've never tried to oppress anyone and we did not deserve 9/11 no matter how arrogant anyone including you, might consider us.

dog
                      We've not tried to oppress any one except for ....ummmm.....SLAVES! NATIVE AMERICANS! MEXICANS! And then there is the whole gay/lesbian/Bi/Transgender thing....and Mormons...and the concentration camps filled with Japanese-Americans....as well as Chinese and Irish immigrants and anybody else our elected goverment so arrogantly choose to "enlighten" with our "progressive" ways.

Open your eyes.
                      Givin' you the scoop, the poop, the skinny and the scuttlebutt since 1969!

Comment

Hmmm....you sort of try to want to paint....

the U.S. as the great Satan.

My eyes are always open....I'm just not near as paranoid as you are.

Maybe I should've been more specific.

Slaves, Native Americans, and Mexicans? Wow...you sure do go WAAAY back to dig this crap up. These are things that we did as well as other countries.....we were most certainly NOT the only ones. Yet you don't talk about them....or their own peoples who did the same things to them as we did.
                        Gay, Lesbian, Bi, Transgender??? Are we oppressing them? NO! how about attempting to SUPPRESS them. My own daughter is a Lesbian, and I've never once heard her say ANYTHING about being OPPRESSED.
                        When the Hell have the Mormons ever been OPPRESSED? They have their own state for god's sake.
                        Those were not Concentration Camps....they were INTERNMENT camps. No one was worked to death or gassed....and the main reason they were interned was because the Asia people are easily distinguished from a Caucasian....and my nation was paranoid...because it was an Asian country that bombed Pearl Harbor......I'm not saying it was right....it happened is all.
                        Chinese and Irish Immigrants.....I'm assuming you are referring to back in the 1800's when they were treated poorly.....many were...because they were taking jobs from Americans already here.....and that's not really OPPRESSION....

Perhaps Fenrir, you should just read more...I'm sure it would help you in your quest.....for whatever that might be. Start by reading the definition of oppression

Oppression

dog

Comment

Taken into historical context at the time, slavery is probably the biggest mark given almost every other industrialized nation had gotten rid of 'property' salvery and turned it into 'paycheck' slavery. Internment camps are a close second since they were the 'easiest' solution to a completely emotional response with very little but rationalized justifications.

The expansion over natives and non-white neighbors issue... almost (if not every) Western power is guilty of that one.

Back to the thread subject...

I think it's France's bid to keep a lid on Muslim influence in the EU given what they're doing domestically regarding the wearing of religous and cultural symbols and clothing. They're afraid of losing the control they have as the EU slips further east. France has less influence on the other side of Europe than it does actually in the EU, so a strong regional influencer like Turkey diminshes them a bit. There's also the issue of large numbers of muslim immigrants into Western Europe that France opposes and by letting Turkey in, they'll have some influence regarding policies on the non-caucasian Europeans.

Turkey certainly has some issues that keep them a step behind Europe, especially in the legal, civil rights, and economic areas; I can't say I'd support them going into the EU just yet either. I think resolving the Cyprus issue should be a requirement myself, but then the Greeks aren't exactly blameless either and I wouldn't propose they be removed from the EU, so it's wishful unrealistic biased thinking I suppose.
                          If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

Hmmm....you sort of try to want to paint....
                            the U.S. as the great Satan.

-----I’m a proud American as well. I’m proud of my country and who we are. I’m proud of the tenacity and professionalism of our armed forces, well. I am not trying to characterize the U.S. as evil. I’m trying to point out that we are no different, we can and do make mistakes and we do, indeed, oppress people, particularly our own.

My eyes are always open....I'm just not near as paranoid as you are.

Maybe I should've been more specific.

Slaves, Native Americans, and Mexicans? Wow...you sure do go WAAAY back to dig this crap up. These are things that we did as well as other countries.....we were most certainly NOT the only ones. Yet you don't talk about them....or their own peoples who did the same things to them as we did.

-----Because other countries have also willingly and knowingly carried out campaigns of genocide against it’s own people doesn’t forgive our own actions. Forgetting or letting “bygones be bygones” robs these events of their significance. These events are not so “way back” as you may think-we are a considerably younger country than most of our peers.

Gay, Lesbian, Bi, Transgender??? Are we oppressing them? NO! how about attempting to SUPPRESS them. My own daughter is a Lesbian, and I've never once heard her say ANYTHING about being OPPRESSED.

----That your daughter has never mentioned oppression doesn’t mean it hasn’t occurred. If she is made to feel less than normal by society or by the government then she has, by the definition you presented (definition #3), been, and is being oppressed.

When the Hell have the Mormons ever been OPPRESSED? They have their own state for god's sake.

-----The Mormons ended up in Utah because they were treated like crap everywhere else and the sought freedom where ever they could find it.

Those were not Concentration Camps....they were INTERNMENT camps. No one was worked to death or gassed....and the main reason they were interned was because the Asia people are easily distinguished from a Caucasian....and my nation was paranoid...because it was an Asian country that bombed Pearl Harbor......I'm not saying it was right....it happened is all.
                            Chinese and Irish Immigrants.....I'm assuming you are referring to back in the 1800's when they were treated poorly.....many were...because they were taking jobs from Americans already here.....and that's not really OPPRESSION....

------This is the definition of “concentration camp” from the same site you sourced for your definition of “oppression”. http://dictionary.reference.com/sear...tration%20camp
                            It makes no mention of gassings or forced labor. The term “concentration camp”, as I’m sure you know comes from the Boer War. The British “concentrated” the families and children of the Boer into disease-ridden camps in order to rob the Boer guerillas of their support. Much as the U.S. did to Japanese Americans-to rob the fictional Japanese guerilla underground of it’s support. Its very premise was racist barbarism.

Perhaps Fenrir, you should just read more...I'm sure it would help you in your quest.....for whatever that might be. Start by reading the definition of oppression

-----C’mon. It’s obvious I read. It’s blatantly obvious I know what oppression means. I will not sit by; idle, while a candy coating is applied to the history of my country. I know who we are and I know what we have done. I’m not always proud of these things like I’m not always proud of everything I say or do, but to ignore or, worse yet, forget the truth of these actions is worse.

----- I recommend Howard Zinn’s “The People’s History of the United States” as a beginning overview of the other side of U.S. history. It’s not “the bible” of revisionist history or anything, but it is worthy of a read…at the very least to give you ammunition against liberal die-hards like me.

Oppression

dog

-----sorry for distracting from the subject of the thread....
                            Givin' you the scoop, the poop, the skinny and the scuttlebutt since 1969!

Comment

Chirac: "non" to Turkey EU bid

In fact, what Chirac probably means is that "until Turkey is much more like France, we will give them nothing!"

Ask France about their human rights record in Algeria, Vietnam, Chad as elsewhere. Or better yet, ask the Algerians, Vietnamese, Chadians and others if France compares favorably in comparison to, say, Hitler. France is quite well known as one of the harshest colonial masters (French Caribbean holdings are also renowned for their brutality. So who is Chirac to speak of human rights to anyone?
                              Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
                              (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X